Waze newbie - idiots guide

Ryandoc

Folks just downloaded Waze. Can someone give me the idiots guide please. I can report mobile cameras and stuff like that can't I?

Also will waze tell me when I'm approaching a fixed camera? Also if someone else has reported a mobile camera does it warn me as long as it's been reported ?

Idiots guide welcome

Cheers

Wack61

All of the above , if you tap the orange icon in the bottom RH corner the options for reporting things screen appears , obviously you need to be pulled over to do this or they'll spot you by satellite and blow your car up with a laser beam

2b1ask1

Special case
Yes pretty much as you describe it.

I've been using it a good while now and made it into 'royalty' user status. It is great because the more people use it the more accurate it becomes, the moment a car stops on the road pretty much a Waze user will hit the orange disk to peg the location and then when they are safely stopped (or they ask a passenger to do it) you can report the issue, it is exactly the same with police presence and mobile camaras. As a newbie, apparently your reports are screened but once you are an established user they 'trust' your reports and they are circulated immediately. Look out for 'candy' points along the way as it quickly helps build your status.

I use it all the time now but I keep Tom-Tom Europe as that is fully loaded with maps for those occasions the 4G signal is not available or someone puts a mountain in the way!

Ryandoc

Cheers gents. Going to give it a whirl see what it's like, just bought myself CD holder mount as well.

People report good things about Waze so will see if it's up to all the hype

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I haven't used Waze, but will find it difficult moving away from Google maps. I find it so useful for traffic jams and the way it changes your route to avoid the holdups.

2b1ask1

Special case
You have to learn to trust it when it throws you down a random side road, almost always it is right.

sionie1

I used Waze a few years ago. It took me on a 20 mile detour to map a route on Anglesey, down lanes I'm sure hadn't seen a car in 20 years, just the occasional tractor. I did get lots of points for my effort. It was consigned to history after that. I will say though that a number of my team use it daily on their territories, it appears to be of more use in larger conurbations which I suppose makes sense given the larger number of users.

Ryandoc

This crossed my mind I'm up north and only really travel further up north so unless there's decent amount of users where I drive then it might be a white elephant.

Will give it a bash see how I get on

Wack61

If it was a few years ago you should give it another try , it's improved a lot since then , as with any satnav you make your own choices , I tend to avoid roads with grass growing up the middle.

Needamaser

I used Waze a few years ago. It took me on a 20 mile detour to map a route on Anglesey, down lanes I'm sure hadn't seen a car in 20 years, just the occasional tractor. I did get lots of points for my effort. It was consigned to history after that. I will say though that a number of my team use it daily on their territories, it appears to be of more use in larger conurbations which I suppose makes sense given the larger number of users.

I just used it tonight for the first time in anger. Route I can drive blindfold.
It really had no idea where I was and took me in the totally wrong direction initially and then up single track road with passing places before heading in the right direction. Half a mile from home it tried to make me turn left at crossroads instead of right which was a 5 mile detour. Arriving at house It tried to get me to drive past and then a circular route to come back to where I was. Trouble is the circular route was on a forest track over the moors which is closed to the public and only suitable for heavy duty 4X4.
Agree probably good for cities but actually quite scary if someone was to depend on it around here.
Not sure anyone doing the NC500 is going to find the route they expect! Horses for courses.

Contigo

Sponsor
I haven't used Waze, but will find it difficult moving away from Google maps. I find it so useful for traffic jams and the way it changes your route to avoid the holdups.

The problem is Google maps shows you the jams which is good but very rarely will it take you off the major roads and find an alternative route which really does save you time. There is no comparison.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
The problem is Google maps shows you the jams which is good but very rarely will it take you off the major roads and find an alternative route which really does save you time. There is no comparison.

Beg to differ, maybe a setting, but its always finding an alternative route in my case, sometimes the route is one of genius I would never imagine!
I've been working down in Milton Keynes for the last few months, and its been very good in offering an alternative route off the M1 to avoid traffic/accidents, usually just in time before coming to a grinding halt.
Saying that, will give Waze a go, I have two android phones so can run both at the same time, and see in real time how they compare!

Contigo

Sponsor
Beg to differ, maybe a setting, but its always finding an alternative route in my case, sometimes the route is one of genius I would never imagine!
I've been working down in Milton Keynes for the last few months, and its been very good in offering an alternative route off the M1 to avoid traffic/accidents, usually just in time before coming to a grinding halt.
Saying that, will give Waze a go, I have two android phones so can run both at the same time, and see in real time how they compare!

It offers major road alternatives but not taking a route around a housing estate say to beat a jam for say 5 minutes for a hold up.

Contigo

Sponsor
Sounds like every journey will be a new adventure!

Honestly it has helped us around the lakes in Italy only last month and countless times in and around Calais the year when we were nearly lynched by the Sangatte mob, it's been amazing.

bigbob

I just used it tonight for the first time in anger. Route I can drive blindfold.
It really had no idea where I was and took me in the totally wrong direction initially and then up single track road with passing places before heading in the right direction. Half a mile from home it tried to make me turn left at crossroads instead of right which was a 5 mile detour. Arriving at house It tried to get me to drive past and then a circular route to come back to where I was. Trouble is the circular route was on a forest track over the moors which is closed to the public and only suitable for heavy duty 4X4.
Agree probably good for cities but actually quite scary if someone was to depend on it around here.
Not sure anyone doing the NC500 is going to find the route they expect! Horses for courses.

Sounds like it would be good for the NC650...

FIFTY

Agree with Phil Waze is a life saver especially driving round in London. My bmw iDrive will always take me down Brompton road/A4 regardless of where I'm going to from Surrey direction so 1hr30m journeys always take 2-3hrs in traffic... but waze will get around all the traffic.

Also used it for a 1000 mile road trip in Thailand including getting round Bangkok and their crazy elevated motorways

I admit sometimes it gets it wrong but no where near as much as inbuilt sat nav's.

Also someone commented how can you know to trust it... well when you ignore it a few times thinking you know better and get stuck you soon learn the lesson