3200 Air Compressor

Evo Cymru

Evening all!

So on going to get my air con regassed today it seems my compressors seals have gone and was advised I would need to replace. I was given a price for a replacement (from an Alfa 166 - code 14-1121). I also had a quick online search and found reference made to a Sanden SD1 V16 as suitable replacement:

http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/3200GT_Aircon_Compressor_Leak/m_23172/tm.htm

This also mentions a company in Birmingham who supplies replacements/refurbishes them. Anyone on here used them or others?

As to fitting the manual suggests it is quite straightforward (wish I had done it when changing the timing belt earlier this year!) but anyone got any pointers on it? How much do I have to remove to get to it? Possible from below?

As always, any help gratefully received before I start poking around!

Olly

Trev Latter

This one will fit, but you'll need to open up the rear mounting hole to fit the spacer. Cheapest I found. It comes out from below and is very tight for space. You'll need to strip off hoses to the intercooler and remove brake duct. The top bolt is accessible from above and the bottom one is a nut and bolt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPRESSOR-AIR-CONDITIONING-ALFA-ROMEO-GT-3-2-GTA-03-10-GTV-3-0-3-2-00-04-/381981950412?rsta=en_GB(en_GB)&cnac=GB&mail=sys&e=op&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&ppid=PPX000608&calf=551200967afbd&calc=551200967afbd&pgrp=main:email&unptid=baa48b5e-149b-11e7-93da-441ea14dee48&mchn=em&t=&s=ci&page=main:email&cal=551200967afbd&cust=

Trev Latter

Forgot to add - drain the oil from the compressor and refill with PAG (preferably with a dye in it) and lube all of the O rings with PAG oil when refitting.

Evo Cymru

Thanks! Had another closer look last night and looks doable as you suggest - just the top bolt being the pain. Just to clarify before I start fiddling:

"you'll need to open up the rear mounting hole to fit the spacer" - can you explain this a little more or is it obvious when you take it off?

Regards

Olly

Trev Latter

There's a top hat shaped spacer that fits in the rear bolt hole. Said hole is too small and needs to be drilled out. Blowed if I can remember what size though, sort. It's pretty self explanatory when you have int on the bench in front of you. Think of it as a sliding spacer.

The top bolt is easy once you get the induction pipes off if you're using an hex socket with a short extension (or long hex socket). Hook a ring spanner over the nut on the rear of the bottom bolt and it's easy enough, if a little fiddly. The biggest issue you'll have is getting the single allen bolt on undone on the pipe connection on the pump. The head is very shallow and will round off quite easily with a poor fitting hex socket/allen key. Best to get a new bolt beforehand and be prepared to struggle a bit with the old one. You can split one of the pipes from just above the pump and the other disconnects from the dryer/filter (same as Alfa 155, just so you know) which will also need to be replaced. That's a pain in the backside to get to, as it's headlamp unit out/ indicator lamp unit out/offside air filter assembly out to get to and then it'll fit through the headlamp hole once removed from the mounting bracket.

Evo Cymru

Ahh - thanks for that - think I have it now. Just need to prepare for the scrapped knuckles now...

Evo Cymru

Forgot to add - drain the oil from the compressor and refill with PAG (preferably with a dye in it) and lube all of the O rings with PAG oil when refitting.

All out without too much swearing! Just before I start getting it all together to put in, any particular PAG oil as it seems you can get a few grades? Thanks again for any help - hopefully this thread will be useful to others who have the same job to do in the future.

Olly

Trev Latter

135ml of PAG46 I think from memory, but best to check with A/C guy that's doing the regas, he should be able to find the correct information.

Evo Cymru

Just to update for others doing this - the dryer filer unit is the same as an Alfa V6/GTA one (as is the compressor itself) but is much cheaper than the Maserati branded one.

Thanks again Trev for the help!

Olly

Boomerang_GT

Did anyone try to refurbish a compressor himself? Or at least tried to seal it?
Mine started leaking and the neon fluid showed it was only the compressor.
Is there a chance to remove the front plate?
IMG_3990.jpg
IMG_3989.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Its not possible to repair yourself no. The most common issue is if you remove the compressor and leave it open to the elements for a matter of hours/days the internals seize and the pump is rendered useless.

The most common failure on these pumps is the front bearing wears away the nose casting and spins and leaks.

To verify, remove the belt and spin and wobble the front pulley there should be no play. If its gone, the movement is very noticeable accompanies by a knocking sound when you engage the pump.

Are you sure its not a pipe or coupling that is leaking and running down onto the pump and collecting at the bottom?

Good price for a 3200 one here:

http://automotivecompressor.co.uk/e...ctPath=/Shops/eshop931745/Categories/Maserati

Boomerang_GT

Wow! You are fast! When do you ever rest? ;)
The prices are really good.
But the ones for a new Alfa 166 part are also not bad.
Just for the number it seems that the info from the first post is not correct. It's a SD7 not a SD1.

conaero

Forum Owner
Wow! You are fast! When do you ever rest? ;)
The prices are really good.
But the ones for a new Alfa 166 part are also not bad.
Just for the number it seems that the info from the first post is not correct. It's a SD7 not a SD1.

Pretty sure the Alfa part is not the same, the mounting points are different. Its been tried.

conaero

Forum Owner
Personally for a tenner more, I would buy the correct one that was designed to take the revs (well, just) as a reconditioned unit.