Gransport wanted

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
HID are nice, but now becoming old hat for Led headlights now, so far less important than a few years ago.

whereskeith

I have added 24k Kms in 2.5 years of ownership..... the whole mileage thing is a valid discussion but I really want to enjoy every opportunity and moment of my car.... I figure being in Gibraltar my mkt to sell is limited so I will be keeping the car for a very long time so I will make the most of it.
I also don't have the winters like u have so there is 12 months of opportunity to enjoy.
I actually think now if I bought a Ferrari or like I would go for a cheaper higher mileage but well looked after one so that I would never be worried about using it.
Who wants to get old and say " yeah I'm owned one of those when I was younger but never really used it"

BuckRog64

A low (sub 30k miles LE) is £40k now if perfect. The only thing mine doesn't have is xenons otherwise it is LE spec. I am finding it incredibly hard to find them; why would anyone sell a low mile LE now just as they're increasing in price significantly.

I'd be interested in understanding how big a factor LE spec and colour are on setting prices. In theory the Luna car has a £5k or more head start on the Med one based on mileage? Assume blu interior is a factor but then wouldn't most buyers prefer avorio or beige trim with med paint? Or is it just in this instance the difference in what each car cost to aquire and prepare?

And why the lack of interest in Steve Bestie's GS that he has with Giallo?

safrane

Pete, I would say, 2-3k per annum is a low mileage car, 4k-5k average and 6-8k plus is high.

Don't get me wrong, 6-8k is still low mileage for a modern road car but these are not in that category and in reality, finding a GS with less than 49,999 miles on it is getter tougher as time goes on.

Just did some quick calcs... mine is 'average' with 12 miles per day over it's life... not much ownership fun in 12 miles.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I'd be interested in understanding how big a factor LE spec and colour are on setting prices. In theory the Luna car has a £5k or more head start on the Med one based on mileage? Assume blu interior is a factor but then wouldn't most buyers prefer avorio or beige trim with med paint? Or is it just in this instance the difference in what each car cost to aquire and prepare?

And why the lack of interest in Steve Bestie's GS that he has with Giallo?

The Luna car is particularly cheap as I was lucky enough to spend very little at inspection. The Med Blu car is dearer as it is Med Blu, an LE, a later car; and did indeed require more spend at inspection and service. Blu interior is very dark and always popular inspite of what most on the forum suggest. I love Blu Scuro interiors, they stand the test of time better than any other colour, even black. I love the classy nature of the interior; it contrasts the light exterior too.

conaero

Forum Owner
I have added 24k Kms in 2.5 years of ownership..... the whole mileage thing is a valid discussion but I really want to enjoy every opportunity and moment of my car.... I figure being in Gibraltar my mkt to sell is limited so I will be keeping the car for a very long time so I will make the most of it.
I also don't have the winters like u have so there is 12 months of opportunity to enjoy.
I actually think now if I bought a Ferrari or like I would go for a cheaper higher mileage but well looked after one so that I would never be worried about using it.
Who wants to get old and say " yeah I'm owned one of those when I was younger but never really used it"

Keith, we are all a long time dead...so enjoy the car for the purpose you purchased it in the first place.

Keep it up!

BuckRog64

The Luna car is particularly cheap as I was lucky enough to spend very little at inspection. The Med Blu car is dearer as it is Med Blu, an LE, a later car; and did indeed require more spend at inspection and service. Blu interior is very dark and always popular inspite of what most on the forum suggest. I love Blu Scuro interiors, they stand the rest of time better than any other colour, even black. I love the classy nature of the interior; it contrasts the light exterior too.

Thank you Dicky, that is very helpful. As was your reply to another forum member regarding running costs and depreciation on a GTS.

Andyk

The Luna car is particularly cheap as I was lucky enough to spend very little at inspection. The Med Blu car is dearer as it is Med Blu, an LE, a later car; and did indeed require more spend at inspection and service. Blu interior is very dark and always popular inspite of what most on the forum suggest. I love Blu Scuro interiors, they stand the test of time better than any other colour, even black. I love the classy nature of the interior; it contrasts the light exterior too.

With you on blue interior Dicky ..... Love them and I found the one in my 3200 did seem to stand the test of time better than the black ones I saw.

Andyk

Looking at Dickys two cars if looking for one must be worth a look....I think I prefer the Luna one as love the blue inside but both look lovely.

Ewan

Agreed - both look great buys. I'd go for the Luna as I prefer the interior and it's had 20,000 miles less wear and tear. Also, I'm not a fan of the yellow calipers on the Blu Med car (though these could easily be repainted silver/grey/black instead).

Given that spending £30k on an equivalent mileage 911 (997) only gets you are series 1 version with possible engine issues, these GS really are cracking cars at the price point.

Agreed on the remark about a 997. Gen 1 will be £28k-£38k but personally I would not touch one with the proverbial barge pole. I have seen and heard of too many examples requiring a £10k-£12k engine rebuild (same for 996 normally aspirated cars).
The only safe bets are the mezger engine cars in 996 and 997 Gen 1 - the Turbo, the GT3 and the (rare) GT2.
A 997 Gen 2 normally aspirated car with the new DFI engine that is better starts around £45k. So the GS is a good price and value for money. I suspect just like Porsche, key is to buy a good 'un from the outset and not to gamble on a car that needs work doing - it invariably throws up additional items that were not seen at inspection.