Love the GTS but now sure I can run it...looking to temper dreams with reality

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
OK, that's a shame. I guess this isn't for me then as I can't go into this blind with the risk of an 8K bill or a massive annual bill - sadly I just don't have that much disposable cash :( I could cope with "allow 3K for bills and you'll be OK" but blank open ended costs - nope :( :(

Thanks for trying to help, in this case head has to rule the heart.

It could be estimated on a specific car just not as easy to generalise as a 4.7.

It's just about the same length as a QP bar about 2".

Contigo

Sponsor
Variators - £3k
Clutch £2.5 to 3k
Discs £1500+ all round

To name but a few jobs. A headlight went on mine and that was a grand so yes there will be big bills even for cars which do come with a PPI. The best bet is buy a car with a year warranty from a dealer and then save a warchest for the second year or extend the warranty when it runs out to cover the bigger jobs if anything goes.

An auto is a better proposition as it has no clutch costs and allowing you to get a later car with the variators not needing attention (engine number based) will reduce any nasty surprises. 4.2's also suffer from this variator issue too.

CatmanV2

4.2 is *way* cheaper however. Get one with variators done. No clutch. I reckon £3k per year would be about right. More than I'm expecting to spend this year in any event!

C

miless2111s

Variators - £3k
Clutch £2.5 to 3k
Discs £1500+ all round

To name but a few jobs. A headlight went on mine and that was a grand so yes there will be big bills even for cars which do come with a PPI. The best bet is buy a car with a year warranty from a dealer and then save a warchest for the second year or extend the warranty when it runs out to cover the bigger jobs if anything goes.

An auto is a better proposition as it has no clutch costs and allowing you to get a later car with the variators not needing attention (engine number based) will reduce any nasty surprises. 4.2's also suffer from this variator issue too.
Where can I find information on the variator numbers - for both 4.2 and 4.7?

CatmanV2

Catman - how long have you had your car? Is your assertion based on hope or many years of experience? :)

Jan 2016. So a little from column A, and a little from column B. Most of what was spent in the first year was warrantied. I bought cheap, eyes open and a warranty wise warranty. Now it's mostly servicing which is only every 2 years / 12k miles. I get it checked over properly at MOT time, however.

C

miless2111s

Jan 2016. So a little from column A, and a little from column B. Most of what was spent in the first year was warrantied. I bought cheap, eyes open and a warranty wise warranty. Now it's mostly servicing which is only every 2 years / 12k miles. I get it checked over properly at MOT time, however.

C
How many miles a year are you doing and I assume that your 3k includes the cost of the warranty?
Regards
Miles

CatmanV2

How many miles a year are you doing and I assume that your 3k includes the cost of the warranty?
Regards
Miles

first 6 months came with the car. The next 12 would be included in the 12k. I'm not going to be renewing next year though. The age makes it somewhat impractical but it's useful to get the potential big ticket items done with the dealer paying (effectively)
I'm heading for rather less than you I guess. It's about 9k. Maybe a little less. I'd need to go back and check.

C

miless2111s

Cayman, I fear we're taking at cross purposes :) my assumption that the 3k included the cost of warranty was referring to your £3k per year costs :)
Interesting to hear you're doing between 9 and 12k miles though.
Thanks
Miles

CatmanV2

Cayman, I fear we're taking at cross purposes :) my assumption that the 3k included the cost of warranty was referring to your £3k per year costs :)
Interesting to hear you're doing between 9 and 12k miles though.
Thanks
Miles

Nah, I'm just a **** typist (ignoring the fact I have been renamed as some kind of reptile) ;) I meant part of the £3k not 12k :)

C

TheYoungconnoisseur

basically do it or don't. theres no tip toeing....

I'm on my 2nd GT-S. never disappointed and I'm certain i have higher expectations than ANYONE on this forum........

I bought an 09 back in the day sold with like 10k then bought my 11. the best year IMO in the perfecto color and options then put 3k into it with basic stuff and soon going to be a TT or v12/manual conversion

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I think you basically need to budget £3k a year but also be able to handle an £8k catastrophe if you have to, OR you spend £2k on a warranty and budget a further £2k for things not covered by the warranty.