Love the GTS but now sure I can run it...looking to temper dreams with reality

miless2111s

That's an interesting split, thanks :) I certainly can't cope with an 8K issue and such a risk would never get past the household finances :)

CatmanV2

That's an interesting split, thanks :) I certainly can't cope with an 8K issue and such a risk would never get past the household finances :)

I have to say I'm struggling to see how anyone could end up with an £8k bill that needs to eb sorted *right now*

Biggest single item is surely the variators, and that's nowhere near.

C

safrane

I'm rich and could not just drop £8k for a repair... but that has not stopped me having three Maserati over the last nine years.

By a cheap daily and you will worry less about the GT and possible repairs and keep it for special days rather than just shopping where it will get dented!

CatmanV2

Depend on definition of 'rich' Certainly I am paid more than the large majority of the UK (or indeed world) population, but like Peter, I also could not drop £8k on anything without serious issues.

This is my second Maserati

(beginning to sound like Maseratisti anonymous!)

C

rossyl

Jan 2016. So a little from column A, and a little from column B. Most of what was spent in the first year was warrantied. I bought cheap, eyes open and a warranty wise warranty. Now it's mostly servicing which is only every 2 years / 12k miles. I get it checked over properly at MOT time, however.

C

Few Q's on warranty if you don't mind?

Was the WarrantyWise warranty thrown in as part of the sale, or did you buy it yourself?

Did you renew it once the car went over 10yrs old, if so were there lots of exclusions?

Were they good at paying out?

Thanks

Gp79

I think you basically need to budget £3k a year but also be able to handle an £8k catastrophe if you have to, OR you spend £2k on a warranty and budget a further £2k for things not covered by the warranty.

Other than a complete engine failure what would cost 8k???

Talking numbers like that will scare most perspective buyers off!

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Other than a complete engine failure what would cost 8k??? Talking numbers like that will scare most perspective buyers off!

Well, I don't mean to be too scary, but if you do need a new engine then you had better be able to fund it somehow. Maybe £4k not £8k. (Sorry) And I'm talking a 2% probability, not a 20%.

Rwc13

Well, I don't mean to be too scary, but if you do need a new engine then you had better be able to fund it somehow. Maybe £4k not £8k. (Sorry) And I'm talking a 2% probability, not a 20%.

This is true of any car he buys personally. And is it really any more likely on a GTS than a lot of other cars he might buy. I've had quite a few and have never had a major bill. I prefer to think that's not luck but because I buy well maintained cars following a very thorough inspection

CatmanV2

Few Q's on warranty if you don't mind?

Was the WarrantyWise warranty thrown in as part of the sale, or did you buy it yourself?

Did you renew it once the car went over 10yrs old, if so were there lots of exclusions?

Were they good at paying out?

Thanks

6 months thrown in, then I bought it. The car was already over 10 years. They list the exclusions on their site, and are the same in the contract. Pretty good IMHO

They really were very good at paying out. There was some discussion over variators where eventually they agreed on a good will basis. My renewal was less than the cheque I had from them sitting on my counter.

Does that help?

C

CatmanV2

Oh I'm fairly sure there are people on here that are very much richer than I am. However, I hope I don't live in a bubble where I think that I'm anything other than among the the top small percentage. That sounds terribly arrogant in my head. It's not meant to, more to call out the fact that any member of this forum, almost without exception, will be rightly regraded by a significant percentage of the planet's population as rich beyond the dreams of Croesus.

C

bigbob

bigbob bought new and still has it, some say a great way of owning a car but not for me as I get bored and want to change every couple of years.

Back when I ordered mine I just did it all on economics. The only used cars then were 4.2 GranTurismos at £55-60k at main dealers (with their much higher margins) and I took the view that I would be moving it on for a 4.7 in time so double margin. Add in that Graypaul were doing good discounts then and I am fussy on colour then it was an easy choice to go new. I would not do it now, though, and would buy an early GT Sport instead.

I don't get bored of my GranTurismo particularly but - like many on here - I have a few cars so I just glance at the Maser in the garage to check it is there the five days in seven I don't use it!

rossyl

6 months thrown in, then I bought it. The car was already over 10 years. They list the exclusions on their site, and are the same in the contract. Pretty good IMHO

They really were very good at paying out. There was some discussion over variators where eventually they agreed on a good will basis. My renewal was less than the cheque I had from them sitting on my counter.

Does that help?

C

Thanks Chris ... do you mind PM'ing the cost please?

Oh I'm fairly sure there are people on here that are very much richer than I am. However, I hope I don't live in a bubble where I think that I'm anything other than among the the top small percentage. That sounds terribly arrogant in my head. It's not meant to, more to call out the fact that any member of this forum, almost without exception, will be rightly regraded by a significant percentage of the planet's population as rich beyond the dreams of Croesus.

C

I agree with you.
Just to be clear, I was joking with the Youtube link.