4200 Heater controls still not working

Wack61

I've changed the ignition switch which I was expecting to cure the problem but it hasn't so next thing was relays

Had a look under the bonnet found a connector hanging free but it doesn't look like it's been connected for a while nor is it in range of any plug I can see

Relays won't come out and I don't want to force them but I have just noticed the clip to the(ford)? box is broken so not water tight so they could be damp

The clips only release the housing as far as I can see , are these relays anything to do with the a.c. panel

Starts and runs fine N pump and gear selections working

The one thing I did notice was when jiggling the key cured the problem with the old ignition switch it also fixed the indicators.

Even though the a.c. isn't working the indicators are suggesting the a.c. problem isn't to do with the ignition 20170801_181159.jpg
20170801_181145.jpg

CatmanV2

The relays *will* come out. I can't see any clips.

Not convinced they are the problem, though.

I recall that connector is standard. Some kid of diagnostic, or something. But probably not relevant.

So start from the beginning for those of us that are hard of thinking:

What exactly is the current issue?

C

Wack61

It's me that's hard of thinking

Before ignition switch change but after respray , ac panel dead indicators dead , turn off and back on comes back to life, gradually got worse until all ac and heater switches dead , I changed ignition switch ac still dead but indicators working , starts drives lights etc all work.

Stereo did work but now no sound, you said could be a short

I've been given the number of a good auto electrician , I think I'll ring him and ask an opinion , it's possible it could be related to the paint job as all the electrics to the doors were disconnected as was the battery area in the boot.

I've just looked at the battery size for my van and it's the same as the 4200 so I'm going to get a battery and try that first even though the Ctek is reporting it as fully charged.

It was damp in that relay box

FIFTY

That box was not properly closed on mine either... noticed it when I was doing the cam covers a few months ago. Not damp in there though my. My Electrical problems are because it is and has been damp behind the dash (heater matrix diverted now I'm pretty sure one of the drain holes is leaking behind the dash too as the car gets damp after rainfall).

CatmanV2

If it was damp check the pollen filter. The matrix was done, as you know.

Pretty sure the no sound issue is a short.

I think you're doing the correct thing getting an auto electrician in as well

C

voicey

It may be quicker to stick the car on an SD2 and have a poke around in the climate control module.

Have you tried disconnecting the multi plugs for the heater ECU and cleaning them up? Works more often than you might think...

davidhowson

I've changed the ignition switch which I was expecting to cure the problem but it hasn't so next thing was relays

Had a look under the bonnet found a connector hanging free but it doesn't look like it's been connected for a while nor is it in range of any plug I can see

Relays won't come out and I don't want to force them but I have just noticed the clip to the(ford)? box is broken so not water tight so they could be damp

The clips only release the housing as far as I can see , are these relays anything to do with the a.c. panel

Starts and runs fine N pump and gear selections working

The one thing I did notice was when jiggling the key cured the problem with the old ignition switch it also fixed the indicators.

Even though the a.c. isn't working the indicators are suggesting the a.c. problem isn't to do with the ignition View attachment 44734
View attachment 44733

The plug looks very much like an alarm sensor for the bonnet, there should be a plunge switch built into the plastic engine cover on the left side close to the oil tank filler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wack61

It may be quicker to stick the car on an SD2 and have a poke around in the climate control module.

Have you tried disconnecting the multi plugs for the heater ECU and cleaning them up? Works more often than you might think...

Thanks for that , it's waiting for a coil pack at the minute , should get it back Monday so I'll give that a go, it is working as the ac clutch kicks in and I can feel cold air coming from the vents just no fan or controls working , it's all dead

If that doesn't work the way my week is going you might find it parked outside your workshop with a note stuck on the windscreen saying call me when it's fixed I'll be on the Eurostar.

Wack61

Got it back yesterday , I'd forgotten how fast this is , joining the motorway a car was bearing down on me so I gave it a squirt, the howl from the exhaust woke everybody up including me .

Bizarrely the ice symbol on the display has gone from freezing to 127 degrees after driving it 100 miles

The plug looks very much like an alarm sensor for the bonnet, there should be a plunge switch built into the plastic engine cover on the left side close to the oil tank filler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That explains that then, thanks , the lh cover is missing

Wack61

Good news, sort of , I've had the battery on the ctek for 2 days , the display has gone back to normal , it said 47 before I started it which I assume is an error code

A/C controls still not working though I've a tip from voicey to try yet , I'm also going to do another battery reset now it's fully topped up

Just been to put some petrol in, I'd forgotten how much attention a Maserati attracts :D 0

Wack61

Magic battery trick didn't work, still the same

Bit of a development though, on advice from voicey I've disconnected the HVAC plugs and given them a clean with some switch cleaner , power off in the boot, disconnect plugs, clean, power on , ignition on.

Now I temporarily have green lights on the recirc and econ buttons where they were dead before but they still go dead after a few seconds ,it still won't let me reset anything and no fan, there's also a click of click off coming from somewhere every 3-4 seconds, I think it's the ac clutch but not 100% sure

Wack61

No I'll have a look at that thanks

It also just says E on the display under the gear number now as well

CatmanV2

E indicates that the the external sensor is out, I think. I suspect you've got multiple problems. (<Lando Calrissian>What have you done to my ship?</LC>)

The connector between the door and the body is known to be an issue at times.

C

Wack61

I think I might freeze it in carbonite and come back next spring

When I pull the plugs apart and reconnect them the econ and recirc lights work and I can stop the a/c clutch clicking but after a few seconds they go out , no fan at any time, I think I'll strip the drivers door down next because they had that all off when they painted it.

Now I think about it when I collected it for he paint shop the ac wasn't working but I pulled over and restarted it and it came back on , can't remember if it did it before it went in

I've also seen 1F and 7F on the display

Looks pretty though

Attachments

• 20160424_094826.jpg
    20160424_094826.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 45

rockits

I had a similar weird random thing on the 4200/GS hybrid. Turned out to be the blower unit which was a royal PITA as is a dashboard out job.

I was getting lots of weird issues giving symptoms more akin to the external temp sensor & other things. I swapped the HVAC unit out for my 4200 one & found it wasn't that. I'm sure it was only the cheap little PCB or resistor on that board that connects the the blower unit but they are not removable or serviceable like many other marques are. Replaced the blower unit & all was resolved & good after that.

I went through a long, time consuming tooing & froing process to get to this as the symptoms were intermittent & random also giving symptoms it could have been something else.

If you find the 4200/GS hybrid thread it will all be in there.

Wack61

the 2 under the LH side of the transmission tunnel as per voicey's very useful picture and the big one under the glovebox

I had a similar weird random thing on the 4200/GS hybrid. Turned out to be the blower unit which was a royal PITA as is a dashboard out job.

I was getting lots of weird issues giving symptoms more akin to the external temp sensor & other things. I swapped the HVAC unit out for my 4200 one & found it wasn't that. I'm sure it was only the cheap little PCB or resistor on that board that connects the the blower unit but they are not removable or serviceable like many other marques are. Replaced the blower unit & all was resolved & good after that.

I went through a long, time consuming tooing & froing process to get to this as the symptoms were intermittent & random also giving symptoms it could have been something else.

If you find the 4200/GS hybrid thread it will all be in there.

Thanks, rockits , I too don't have a fan so it could be that