There are no words

conaero

Forum Owner
Ok I see a plan here. First Maserati SUV and now electrification. I understand that Ferrari want to sell over the 10k vehicles and double its profits in 5 years so why not buy Maserati and push all the SUVs and electrified models through Maserati thus giving Ferrari to build its famous sports cars and stay below the magic emission busting 10k vehicles?

Andyk

It's the way forward unfortunately....I see lambo are bringing out a car like this as well.

MrMickS

I thought that, not so long ago, Ferrari said that they wouldn't make an SUV. Ok it's an FUV but in spirit it's the same.

The electrification has to come as that's where development is going. So more hybrids, hopefully in the crazy LaFerrari mound so as more power rather than a replacement for it.

What I don't understand here is why Ferrari want to increase production in this way, other than pure greed. At the moment they sell all of the cars they make and that keeps them at a premium. They can put the prices of the limited editions up and still sell them looking at the second hand prices. That would go some way to increasing their profits.

Rwc13

They're a business and they have lots of external shareholders now. I guess their view is they can sell cars in these new segments without affecting the sales volumes or values of their sports cars

safrane

Wasn't Ferrari's direction to produce just enough cars to keep prices high and have a waiting list - thus maintain the brands desirability?

As per the OP I hate the way cars are moving to with these silly SUVs, 99.9% of them are pointless and just a long term fasion fad!

If we want better fuel economy and lower emissions we need lighter cars not big lumps like this and the like.

midlifecrisis

Wasn't Ferrari's direction to produce just enough cars to keep prices high and have a waiting list - thus maintain the brands desirability?

As per the OP I hate the way cars are moving to with these silly SUVs, 99.9% of them are pointless and just a long term fasion fad!

If we want better fuel economy and lower emissions we need lighter cars not big lumps like this and the like.

I completely agree, since the rise of the SUV in the 90's there's been an escalation of them in terms of size and their mainly driven by those who are incapable of driving or have difficulty in realising their size. There's also the snob value, so many times I've seen a platinum blond with fake tan and fake t!ts get out of them with lapdogs in one arm and a phone in the other. Fashion victims!

Contigo

Sponsor
Sold ours as it was just too big and thirsty. Ferrari have entered a "cash grab" phase with this new SUV.

Ewan

Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston Martin, Bentley, Porsche are all at it, so why not Ferrari? Their sports cars and limited run specials will still sell out, so these will just be extra sales to those that want them. A friend of mine with an FF and a California (plus 2 Range Rovers, etc) would definitely buy one.

As a public listed company now they need to pay a dividend to their shareholders and the management will be expected to increase profits. Let's not forget it's a business, not a hobby company owned by one man.

Contigo

Sponsor
And that's why lots will move over to more niche makers like Pagani and Koenigsegg because of this. It's watering the brand down just like MAserati is based purely on pleasing shareholders.

Rwc13

The point is they can still achieve that with their sports cars whilst also selling cars in new segments to finance R&D and the dividend needs of shareholders.

Arguably SUVs are no more pointless than sports/supercars. Most sports/supercars are hardly driven and rarely if ever driven as intended - they're purchased as fashion statements and for their show off value. And many modern reasonably powerful diesel execmobiles are as fast as our Maseratis whilst doing most other things way better.

And like many on here, I think you said in a recent post you do a few hundred miles a year in yours, which arguably makes it even more pointless as an ownership proposition. So if we aren't owning them to drive them, are we owning them as a fashion statement?

SUVs have their merits. In general, they are more comfortable, they are safer, they give you a much better view of the road.

Ever compared the weight of a Tesla S to an SUV.......?

safrane

All good points and correct I rarely use my car, but when I do its as a fast GT going across countries... as designed.

I doubt 1% use their SUV as design...as for more comfortable I refuse to accept them from the rental Co. as I find them uncomfortable, bouncy and gussel fuel...give me a five series BMW estate any time.

CatmanV2

All good points and correct I rarely use my car, but when I do its as a fast GT going across countries... as designed.

I doubt 1% use their SUV as design...as for more comfortable I refuse to accept them from the rental Co. as I find them uncomfortable, bouncy and gussel fuel...give me a five series BMW estate any time.

I'm not sure about safer either....

C

bigbob

Why not? Good luck to them. If I wanted a 488 it would not put me off even though the SUV is highly unlikely to appeal to me.

You don't like a model in a manufacturer's range then don't buy it. Simple....no need for intellectual snobbery here.

Navcorr

So if we aren't owning them to drive them, are we owning them as a fashion statement?

This is an interesting question and could make for an interesting survey - if people would be 100% honest in their replies. One assumes the vast majority of ownership stems from a passion for the marque. I would be surprised if this wasn't the case.

I would be equally surprised if there wern't also a few self-appointed big-balled Alpha males (whatever that term actually means) with incredibly small coc*s and an enormous inferiority complex. Such pr*ts are easy to spot and avoid though.

For myself my wish to own is a long term appreciation of the style and elegance of the marque. This is very much for myself though and certainly not a fashion statement. Heaven forbid the thought :)

bigbob

This is an interesting question and could make for an interesting survey - if people would be 100% honest in their replies. One assumes the vast majority of ownership stems from a passion for the marque. I would be surprised if this wasn't the case.

I would be equally surprised if there wern't also a few self-appointed big-balled Alpha males (whatever that term actually means) with incredibly small coc*s and an enormous inferiority complex. Such pr*ts are easy to spot and avoid though.

For myself my wish to own is a long term appreciation of the style and elegance of the marque. This is very much for myself though and certainly not a fashion statement. Heaven forbid the thought :)

Interesting inverse correlation you make there.

safrane

As Im in London in the week I can't use nor would I wish to my Maser. At the weekend I have a rental car which I use for bits and pieces.

The maser is just for high days and holidays.

Even when I was at home in the week I used a Golf for day to day and a Volvo.

Willy is big enough to satisfy but small enough not to impede walking.