Ghibli buying advice- just viewed a left hooker

tomoshea

I have always had a hankering for one.... irrational, illogical ... etc.. but it just reminds me of my youth, I like the sound, the feel, etc. - reminds me in ways of an old Alfa 33 1.7 cloverleaf boxer I had years ago... sound smell... but a bit more grunt in fairness.

Yes I'm sure I could get something newer for the money ... but I am a firm
Believer in trying to get others to pay for depreciation ( buy low sell high).... I have been fortunate enough to turn a profit on all classics or limited editions I have bought over the years, and I feel ( not very rational I know) that with the way Maserati is going re mass production etc the purists and collectors are going to want old school Masers warts and all.... and even if I dont turn a profit in time I will just enjoy looking at it, smelling the leather and taking it out the odd weekend there is sunshine and no rain... hardly likely to lose my shirt I think... and if I export again to UK ( pending brexit outcomes re customs in/ out) or mainland EU I will get the VRT back..

That's my "logic" for what it's worth.

tomoshea

As a matter of interest how long ago do you recall seeing it advertised for sale in Switzerland and can you recall the asking price?

dickyb

It was a couple of months ago, the car was in Lugano so not too far from where it is now. I think the price was something like 370000 Euros

They're great cars when well looked after. I doubt you'll regret your decision. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, Emblem Sportscars are great guys to deal with. Due to circumstances I ended up having to get a pre-purchase inspection done post-purchase. It was still money well spent, confirmed it was a solid car, and gave me insight into one or two small niggles to sort out before they became more serious issues. Well worth doing if you do go ahead with the car. Let us know how you get on.

spacecadet

That's really a nice example.

Prices indeed went up in the last few years in Europe, I think I bought one of the last ones below 10k EUR 3 years ago (nice condition, but higher milage).

When looking for rust also check below the plastic sill covers and around the front shock absorbers in the wheel well.

tomoshea

Yes it is nice ..... but believe it or not in struggling to get classic car insurance for it in Southern Ireland..... 20 years not a classic.... the goal posts have shifted in the last couple of years apparently...oh joy...

Crofty

Yes it is nice ..... but believe it or not in struggling to get classic car insurance for it in Southern Ireland..... 20 years not a classic.... the goal posts have shifted in the last couple of years apparently...oh joy...

Try Hagarty insurance, mine's a bit older (94) although not classified as a classic they recognize the car for what it is & insure it as a modern classic. on a limited mileage policy, fully comp, with European breakdown cover...(essential) costs around £240.00 (although I haven't insured it yet this year so might be a bit more with the IPT increase

tomoshea

At the moment it's a non runner for me... believe it or not I cannot get classic insurance for it in Southern Ireland.....

No one will insure it as a classic and they want €1800 to insure it as a non classic.....

This even with a 15 year history of classic ferraris, modern ferraris, Masers and high powered German cars...

PITA...

Ewan

What about Lockton - the insurance company of the Maserati Owners Club? But if not, try speaking with the broker Pace Ward. They are in England (Stoke on Trent) not Eire but are very helpful so may have useful advice.