Maserati to enter Formula E?

Ewan

I follow it casually as Venturi have a team. But we're struggling and it will only get harder as the big boys such as Renault and Porsche are now joining in.

A few ex F1 drivers are in it now, which acts as a draw, as do the city centre locations. So while it'll not threaten F1 in the near future, it does have its place and will surely grow.

With the impending doom for fossil fuel vehicles and the increasing rise of electric cars, it makes more sense to look to the future than the past. For now at least, leave Ferrari to compete in F1 and have Maserati/Alfa compete in FE.

allandwf

I have watched a couple. The youngsters at my work, ( 20 year olds to 30 I'm classifying lol.) who are car enthusiasts and tech enthusiasts don't, though they avidly follow other forms of motorsports. Maybe it's a marketing thing. To me it's like racing but at 1/4 speed.

Andyk

May be the future but a FE car was beaten up the Goodwood hill but a Subaru, Jaguar Le Mans car and an old F1.....Just saying.....

Ryandoc

Sorry to say but from a spectators perspective I find formula E horrendous, I've watched a bit and whilst you can see some decent battles, you can spout it's the future all you want but the experience is ****. Can't imagine sat in the crowd, nice and quiet drinking my tea listening to a load of washing machines infront of you.

There is zero exhilaration for me I'm afraid

Navcorr

It's a bit like women's football. Finance and publicity won't necessarily make it worth watching - imho the reason both are broadcast are the rights to do so are relatively cheap. The PC brigade will say we're "supposed" to encourage, sorry, it's all just a bit too slooooow.

TridentTested

Why? Apart from those "in the trade" does anyone really watch and follow it?

I've tried getting into a few times, even trying to lure myself with the atmospheric names of Prost, Senna and Piquet, but I have to admit zoning out after a while. It just doesn't grip me.

Andyk

It's a bit like women's football. Finance and publicity won't necessarily make it worth watching - imho the reason both are broadcast are the rights to do so are relatively cheap. The PC brigade will say we're "supposed" to encourage, sorry, it's all just a bit too slooooow.

There should be no such thing as woman football....as there should be no such thing as football full stop..... ........ Actually it should be mixed...bet some those woman are better than the men I see rolling on the floor with a dead leg.....its if they have been shot.

MrPea

I quite enjoy the Formula E. Yes it's slow, but not off the line. The racing is close with changes in position happening (unlike F1), the street circuits require some impressive precision skills and have track layouts that make the most of the cars.
Yeah, fanboost is weïrd, and having to change car as your pitstop are a bit mad.

FIFTY

Saying you don't like FE because it's too slow compared to F1 is a silly reason... the same can be said about all of the lower categories because F1 is and always will be in pinnacle of motor racing.

This year I have got into the Blancpain GT series... should I not watch it because it's slow compared to F1? The racing is much closer lots of position changes on the grid and via pit strategy, cars make a great sound and some rather cool cars make up the championship.

bigbob

To they mean Maserati is entering Formula E or do they mean FCA is and they are just slapping a Maserati badge on it?

Navcorr

Saying you don't like FE because it's too slow compared to F1 is a silly reason... the same can be said about all of the lower categories because F1 is and always will be in pinnacle of motor racing.

This year I have got into the Blancpain GT series... should I not watch it because it's slow compared to F1? The racing is much closer lots of position changes on the grid and via pit strategy, cars make a great sound and some rather cool cars make up the championship.

I didn't say other people shouldn't watch - I said why I don't watch it. There's only so much time I want to watch a given sport and I'd rather watch the best. Is that being silly - you're entitled to your opinion :smile:

With one exception - West Ham :biggrin: COYI.

Last edited:

FIFTY

We are all entitled to our opinions but on a public forum you are slating the category comparing it to Women's football... (which there is also nothing wrong with WF either)

The aggressive competition of motor racing is what develops road car technology and we are heading into an age of battery powered cars so the category is relevant.

What I like is that the lower speeds and quieter cars mean that they can set races on street circuits in cities bringing the sport to the fans of motor racing

Navcorr

A hypothetical situation: you have a choice - watching an NBA Finals match on TV or going to a local match live. The locals will be doing their best and there will be an element of appreciation of that - but I know I'd be sitting there thinking "it's not that good is it".