Water in Boot - QP this time

Ebenezer

Gave it a spray with a hose, and no water inside the boot that I could find.

Took it to a jetwash place, and did get a wet patch in the boot this time. So now I know where the water is in the boot when it gets in. Next step it to find out how it gets there!

As Ewan said, it probably is something to do with the plastic conduit that takes the electricity from the car to the boot lid.

View attachment 47522

When I spoke to Emblem about how they investigated this, they said (perhaps tongue in cheek, but probably not)
"Put small mechanic in the boot and start hosing!"

If you have access to small a small person, and can get away with locking them in the boot with a torch, that might be the way to go!
Eb

MaserAndy

Don't know if this helps but water in the boot of my gt was traced - eventually after having the boot revealed TWICE at my expense - to a faulty rear windscreen seal md removed rear screen and resealed it been fine ever since.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Replaced the rubber seal (and put some sealant around where the conduit comes in) and all seems well.

Great work by Auto-Bodytech in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire (labour) and Matt at classiccarspares2015 on eBay (replacement seal).

rs48635

Does anyone know if it is wise / safe to drill some little drain holes in the bottom of the plastic boot liner? What's underneath that?

Did this to my 3200, which has a plastic boot floor anyway, so no rust issues. Stick some rubber one way flap / valves on the outside if worried about ingress.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
To have one QPV with a rear swimming pool is a misfortune. To have two is forking irritating!

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_095640.jpg
    IMG_20211202_095640.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 26

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Does anyone know where is a safe position to drill a small drain hole? Obvio want to do it at the lowest point, which seems to be just aft of the brake cables, but is there anything sensitive to worry about under that bit?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Think I would just leave some Cat Kitty Litter in there to soak it up and catch any returning drips

Not doing that! Although I will install a water alarm - all QPVs should have them!

It was VERY wet in there. Actually less in the well than my old QP, where a fail in the seal had water running down behind the trim and directly into the brake well, so the boot lining was fairly dry but the well was awash. Here the boot floor and tyre well was wet but not a lot in the brake well. Not seen this before now on this QP, but then it hasn't been really rainy for a while. Mold growth suggests that it was bad before I bought it in the spring, though.

Will just have to lock a small child in there with a torch. Again.

Anyone want to lend me a cheap cover until I can get it sorted?

Also where do I drill the hole?

conaero

Forum Owner
Known leak points:
  1. Boot lid to body conduit
  2. Weather strip boot seal
  3. Number plate holes
  4. Rear lights
  5. Fuel flap around the body catch
  6. Plastic boot floor tub to boot floor
  7. Boot floor seam and up the rear slam panel

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Known leak points:
  1. Boot lid to body conduit
  2. Weather strip boot seal
  3. Number plate holes
  4. Rear lights
  5. Fuel flap around the body catch
  6. Plastic boot floor tub to boot floor
  7. Boot floor seam and up the rear slam panel

It was #2 last time.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
We have an apprentice who’s been well trained in being shut in a QP boot with a torch while Ash and I let him have it with the hose.

Well, I would bring it to you for some of that, if the Android thingy was working as well...

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Mark obviously you will work on finding the leak, but you could drill a hole and fit a water drain grommet (scuttle drain). It would act as an emergency measure incase the boot leaks again or whilst you are trying to find the issue.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333674910735
https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/scuttle-drain-valve-171819419-mk1-golf-jetta-caddy-17865-p.asp

Yup, but I'm a bit worried about where to drill.

Might get it up on a lift on Saturday when I put the winter tyres on, and have a look.