Water in Boot - QP this time

Gazcw

Yup, but I'm a bit worried about where to drill.

Might get it up on a lift on Saturday when I put the winter tyres on, and have a look.
Well there is loads of space so drilling should not be an issue. Just need to find the lowest collection point.

Scaf

Yup, but I'm a bit worried about where to drill.

I don't blame you, I ’d be nervous to………… hope you find solution.

Over what period of time for it take on that amount if water, could you check daily.

I gaffa taped my boot shut when I was not using it to keep dry until I got it sorted, but it’s a weekender not a daily.

Is your drive sloped or flat, if sloped could that be contributing?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Well there is loads of space so drilling should not be an issue. Just need to find the lowest collection point.

Yeah, I'm not worried about finding the perfect spot in the huge plastic well, I'm worried about something under the well that might not like being drilled into. Like maybe a brake fluid line...

Gazcw

Yeah, I'm not worried about finding the perfect spot in the huge plastic well, I'm worried about something under the well that might not like being drilled into. Like maybe a brake fluid line...
Not sure there is,anything that I can remember but a look underneath first is clearly the way forward.

philw696

We have an apprentice who’s been well trained in being shut in a QP boot with a torch while Ash and I let him have it with the hose.
That's nothing try being taken for a drive in the boot of a BMW 735i in the 80's to pin point a noise at the rear :)

philw696

Best thing is have ever done after living in many places over the years is having a property with a decent sized workshop and having everything parked inside especially seeing how heavy the frost is this morning.

Zep

That's nothing try being taken for a drive in the boot of a BMW 735i in the 80's to pin point a noise at the rear :)

I did the same thing once in a 320d trying to work out if a bearing noise was from the diff or the hub. Not on my list of things to do again! :D

MarkMas

Chief pedant
To have one QPV with a rear swimming pool is a misfortune. To have two is forking irritating!

One of the many jobs for @conaero when he is back.
Today I sponged about a litre of water out of the boot tray, despite my local body shop not being able to find any leak last month, and my tyre guy drilling a small drain hole when it was on the ramp putting the winters on last year.
I know, "They all do that, sir"

Grrrr...

Gazcw

Today I sponged about a litre of water out of the boot tray, despite my local body shop not being able to find any leak last month, and my tyre guy drilling a small drain hole when it was on the ramp putting the winters on last year.

Grrrr...
View attachment 97882
I must have been lucky with my qp. It was always bone dry.

Scaf

Grrrr...
View attachment 97882
Mark
Have you / anyone tried removing the plastic trim as per pic and made sure it’s not full of crud behind.
No idea way, but I think this was the culprit on my old GTS.

MarkMas

Chief pedant

MarkMas

Chief pedant
It turns out that the panel that the spare wheel sits on is strangely water absorbent and yet also water retaining.
After a few hours in the sun, the furry outsideof the panel was completely dry, but there was a sloshing noise inside, and if you wave it around, eventually about a pint of brown water trickles out (from what appears to be a drain hole) onto your new shoes.

Gazcw

It turns out that the panel that the spare wheel sits on is strangely water absorbent and yet also water retaining.
After a few hours in the sun, the furry outsideof the panel was completely dry, but there was a sloshing noise inside, and if you wave it around, eventually about a pint of brown water trickles out (from what appears to be a drain hole) onto your new shoes.
Brown water from the drain hole and onto your shoes. Too much info Mark. Cut down on on the alcohol and red meat mate.

Scaf

I think it is more likely to be the cable junction marked below.
View attachment 97891

But I will just rely on Matt shutting a passing child in the boot to find out.
Just trying to help, in my case I think Ashley may have been locked in the boot
But if you take a moment to think logically, one could argue that water that could not flow under the trim I have highlighted could back up to the conduit you have pointed out and leak into your boot.

Harvey_Tim

Just been reading this thread and I was fascinated to notice that your car has identical damage to the left hand boot trim as mine does. I have highlighted it from your earlier picture:

IMG_0732.jpeg
Any idea how this happens? - I just assumed someone had stripped out the back of my car and had damaged it in the process of refitting but yours looks to have identical damage.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Just been reading this thread and I was fascinated to notice that your car has identical damage to the left hand boot trim as mine does. I have highlighted it from your earlier picture:

View attachment 120820
Any idea how this happens? - I just assumed someone had stripped out the back of my car and had damaged it in the process of refitting but yours looks to have identical damage.

Well it may just be the exact weak point that creases every time, when anyone is trying to cram the trim back in, on any car. This picture (originally posted Feb 15, 2018) was my old QPV, which had, as it turns out, had quite a lot of welding at the rear, suggesting some sort of rear-end shunt in the past. (Other clues I failed to notice when purchasing were the lack of tridents on the C pillars and a slight paint transition on one pillar.)

I will have a look at the 'new' QPV when I can and see if it has the same boot trim crease....

Harvey_Tim

Lol - well mine is a Cat D car but as far as I know all the damage was on the drivers side front, no evidence of any rear damage. So hopefully as you say it’s just a weak point in the trim!