Water in Boot - QP this time

MarkMas

Chief pedant

montravia

Mark, i found water in the battery well of my GT. All the boot seals were fine. Dick said that the underpan seal sometimes weakens, they sealed it no charge and that accounted for the ingress from underneath

Ewan

The common route of water into the QP boot is from the thick corrugated plastic conduit on the left hand side. Some silicone sealer around where it attaches below the rear windscreen should do the trick. (Worked for me on two of my previous QP's).

TridentTested

The common route of water into the QP boot is from the thick corrugated plastic conduit on the left hand side. Some silicone sealer around where it attaches below the rear windscreen should do the trick. (Worked for me on two of my previous QP's).

The answer to what was happening to mine I found on Maserati Life. The corrugated plastic conduit has a small stem attaching it to the boot lid, the stem is designed to keep the conduit clear of the rubber window seal as the boot lid closes. Unfortunately on mine it doesn't, the conduit touches the rubber window seal and pulls the seal down, just a fraction, but an amazingly abundant amount of water gets into that little gap, and then runs down into the boot. I guess it collects run-off water from the entire rear window.

The trick is to not slam the boot lid, indeed on mine because the window seal is now slightly distorted, I have to reach under the boot lid as I close it and ensure the conduit has cleared the window seal. As it's over to one side it's relatively easy to reach under.

Since doing this I have no more leaks.

I've been meaning to find a way of extending the little stem. It is slightly embarrassing owning a car that has its own idiosyncratic way of doing such a simple thing as closing the boot. It means I have to stop passengers from slamming it or I know I'll have a leak.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Still damp in the boot, so I have finally removed the boot trim under the spare wheel to reveal a big space containing what seems to be the parking brake servo, plus an inch of water.

swimming pool.jpg

Now I just have to keep trying to find out where it is getting in.

StuartW

The answer to what was happening to mine I found on Maserati Life. The corrugated plastic conduit has a small stem attaching it to the boot lid, the stem is designed to keep the conduit clear of the rubber window seal as the boot lid closes. Unfortunately on mine it doesn't, the conduit touches the rubber window seal and pulls the seal down, just a fraction, but an amazingly abundant amount of water gets into that little gap, and then runs down into the boot. I guess it collects run-off water from the entire rear window.

The trick is to not slam the boot lid, indeed on mine because the window seal is now slightly distorted, I have to reach under the boot lid as I close it and ensure the conduit has cleared the window seal. As it's over to one side it's relatively easy to reach under.

Since doing this I have no more leaks.

I've been meaning to find a way of extending the little stem. It is slightly embarrassing owning a car that has its own idiosyncratic way of doing such a simple thing as closing the boot. It means I have to stop passengers from slamming it or I know I'll have a leak.

This. The wires contained in the conduit have a tendency to go brittle and fail too which can account for the number plate bulbs no longer receiving power - something to watch out for

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Even more water in the boot now. Have stripped it all out and trying to dry it in the weather to come. Next is to spray it with fluorescent water to see where it is getting in.

swimming pool 3.jpg
swimming pool 2.jpg

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Does anyone know if it is wise / safe to drill some little drain holes in the bottom of the plastic boot liner? What's underneath that?

TridentTested

I suspect you will get just as much road spray up into the boot, as rain water draining out. Plus you will create an ideal corrosion point.

montravia

Don't rule out that it's getting in from underspay. My GT had ingress. The seal between the mid section and bottom sump gets tired.

Triggerfish

Just viewed a used Granturismo at a main dealer. The boot was obviously slightly damp, with signs of corrosion to the brightwork, didn't smell good either.

No obvious puddle in the battery well, so I'd assume it was leaking via the lid and the carpet was absorbing it.

The salesman shrugged and said "well you have to remember it's a Maserati and is hand built" I'd like to think it could be cured

Contigo

Sponsor
It has happened on my GTS and been sealed. I get water now in the heat shield area which sits but the boot floor is totally dry. Don't let that EPB ECU get wet again! They ain't cheap!!!! I'd disconnect it personally whilst you sort this out.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
It has happened on my GTS and been sealed. I get water now in the heat shield area which sits but the boot floor is totally dry. Don't let that EPB ECU get wet again! They ain't cheap!!!! I'd disconnect it personally whilst you sort this out.

Yes, I'm fearful that the EPB ECU might be knackered. I'm running on 'Park Off' at the moment. And it is now dry(ish).

Keano

i have the same on my 09 QP, Will dry it out today and am due to park it for a week so can see if its from above or below... the carpet near the boot lock seems wetter than anywhere else

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Don't rule out that it's getting in from underspay. My GT had ingress. The seal between the mid section and bottom sump gets tired.

Well, I have sprayed the boot area vigourouly with water containing a UV dye, and cannot see any ingress with a 'black light'. Now I have to drive it through some deep puddles, I suppose. Here in Gloucestershire we have potholes, but we are low on freshwater fords.
http://www.wetroads.co.uk/gloucestershire.htm
http://www.wetroads.co.uk/gmaps.htm

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Gave it a spray with a hose, and no water inside the boot that I could find.

Took it to a jetwash place, and did get a wet patch in the boot this time. So now I know where the water is in the boot when it gets in. Next step it to find out how it gets there!

As Ewan said, it probably is something to do with the plastic conduit that takes the electricity from the car to the boot lid.

Leak point.jpg