New brakes - issues?

P R

At around 50k miles I had my front pads replaced by the dealer, with Maserati OEM pads.

About 5k miles later a wobble appeared under braking, which suggested the pads were warped. Since they had done 55k miles I wasn't overly concerned about replacing them.

I had them replaced with Maserati OEM discs I sourced from the official Maserati dealer in NI (via ebay) and had them fitted. A few thousand miles later and they are wobbling again under braking. Not badly all the time, some times worse than others.

Now this car isn't driven particularly hard at all, and I have been very careful with them.

Has anyone else had new discs or pads, and if so has it led to any issues. Very frustrated with them!

MrMickS

I'm getting new pads on Wednesday, after 31000 miles oops. I'll let you know if I have any issues afterwards.

CatmanV2

I assume you mean the discs are warped, not the pads?

At the risk of opening a can of worms, discs seldom warp. Then can be quite simply checked for run out. You might have pad material transference if you sit with your foot on the brake at the lights, but I suspect there's something else amiss.

m1980k

I assume you mean the discs are warped, not the pads?

At the risk of opening a can of worms, discs seldom warp. Then can be quite simply checked for run out. You might have pad material transference if you sit with your foot on the brake at the lights, but I suspect there's something else amiss.

I have experienced this - it can feel pretty bad and like there is something seriously wrong with the brakes. Doing some big stops, like you would do for bedding in brakes, fixed it for me.

CatmanV2

I have experienced this - it can feel pretty bad and like there is something seriously wrong with the brakes. Doing some big stops, like you would do for bedding in brakes, fixed it for me.

I was thinking of suggesting that, but never entirely confident suggesting someone stress tests possibly shonky safety kit....

C

P R

Yes I did mean the discs could be warped. I really haven't done any hard braking. Might try the few emergency stop thing and see if they clean up.
On stopping from motorway speeds, when I stop, I try and then roll forward a few inches to try and stop any heat buildup, maybe once or twice.

davy83

I would suggest a sticking caliper piston. This often shows up when new shoes are fitted because the caliper pistons are pushed back into the caliper, and any dirt or corrosion on the piston will make it stick. this would explain why fitting new pads made it show up. I may be wrong but its a thought, i had a lot of trouble with my brakes until i got the calipers re-manufactured, and its a delight now.

P R

I would suggest a sticking caliper piston. This often shows up when new shoes are fitted because the caliper pistons are pushed back into the caliper, and any dirt or corrosion on the piston will make it stick. this would explain why fitting new pads made it show up. I may be wrong but its a thought, i had a lot of trouble with my brakes until i got the calipers re-manufactured, and its a delight now.

Thanks for that. How would this make the thing wobble though? If the discs are true, then they are true no matter what the caliper piston is doing? Or am I being think (which is entirely feasible!)

CatmanV2

Thanks for that. How would this make the thing wobble though? If the discs are true, then they are true no matter what the caliper piston is doing? Or am I being think (which is entirely feasible!)

Uneven pressure on the pad / disc interface is my understanding. Can set up a vibration which bangs the car, and also pushes back through the pedal.

But I could be completely wrong.

C

P R

Uneven pressure on the pad / disc interface is my understanding. Can set up a vibration which bangs the car, and also pushes back through the pedal.

But I could be completely wrong.

C

That makes sense as to when it started. I really don't see how discs would warp after 50k miles just like that...

CatmanV2

That makes sense as to when it started. I really don't see how discs would warp after 50k miles just like that...

As I said, diss warping is nothing like as common as perhaps it used to be (or maybe ever was)

Certainly all the cases I've seen reported on line have turned out to be something else. Pad transference is favourite because the un-even drag *feels* like the disc is warped, but actually it's not.

Sounds like that's not going to be your issue, however, having read your post about driving style

C

FIFTY

Yes I did mean the discs could be warped. I really haven't done any hard braking. Might try the few emergency stop thing and see if they clean up.
On stopping from motorway speeds, when I stop, I try and then roll forward a few inches to try and stop any heat buildup, maybe once or twice.

Do not emergency brake to 0mph that's how you get pad transference and warp your discs. The proper method is on a quiet road with the appropriate speed limit to brake as hard as you can from around 60mph down to 20-30mph and repeat a few times until the discs bed in. Do not stop at the lights holding your brakes on until they cool down afterwards.

P R

Do not emergency brake to 0mph that's how you get pad transference and warp your discs. The proper method is on a quiwt road to brake as hard as you can from around 60mph down to 20-30mph and repeat a few times until the discs bed in.

Thanks.. I meant that.. however writing "stop" wasn't what I meant! :)

On another note.. whats the easiest way to clean brake pistons?

FIFTY

I had this problem on one of my old cars turned out they didn't tighten up one of the calipers after changing discs so I could feel the caliper wobbling around on its mount through the pedal... lucky it didn't fall off.

On such a new car I would worry about caliper warp or the pistons seizing. But they could be dirty, part of this disc/pad change is to give the caliper a thorough clean to avoid the new pads seizing which if not done could lead to your discs warping.

P R

Well Im more and more convinced it isn't the disc that is warped. I think I will book it in somewhere local and get them to strip and clean, and check the caliper pins etc..

MrMickS

I had all my pads changed yesterday. Ouch, that was quite a hit. They took it for a short test drive to bed the brakes in before giving it back to me. So far, so good. I've got the drive down to Brands at the weekend so hopefully any issues would reveal themselves then, rather than when I'm in Italy.

P R

I had all my pads changed yesterday. Ouch, that was quite a hit. They took it for a short test drive to bed the brakes in before giving it back to me. So far, so good. I've got the drive down to Brands at the weekend so hopefully any issues would reveal themselves then, rather than when I'm in Italy.

Thanks for the feedback. My issues started a few thousand miles later.. When are you off to Italy?

P R