Mercedes hydrolock

keith

Forgive for introducing a non Maserati thread.
From time to time I look at some of the car 'vlogs' on Youtube. There are a few regulars and it seems it can be a very lucrative business judging by the cars these people own.
More recently I have been following a U.S owner of a Mercedes C Class AMG coupe, who took delivery of his 'dream car' a couple of months ago. He is an ex car salesman who makes mention how hard he worked to get the Mercedes, and it's interesting for me to see how a, to use an Americanism, regular guy gets on with his ownership experiences.
Anyway after this long preamble, his last video shows him driving in heavy rain, and after being splashed by a passing car the engine cuts out.
In case you hadn't realised from the title, the super expensive AMG engine injested the water and is now written off. Staggering given the supposed bullet proof reputation of the brand!
He is apparently waiting to speak to his insurance company about claiming for a new engine! To say nothing of the time and trouble to supply and fit.

CatmanV2

Nothing to do with the bullet proof (or otherwise) nature of the engine. Any engine running as speed is likely to lunch itself if you add a non-compressible fluid to the cylinders.

All to do with the location (and design) of the air intake. Of the design parameters for that, I imagine (as with most cars) that the possibility of sucking up water is regarded somewhat lower down the requirements than sucking in huge amounts of cold air and sounding OK about it ;)

C