Croatia

jasst

So, SHMBO has decided she'd like to go to Croatia for a Holiday in Sept, I know nothing about the place, so any recommendations?, within walking distance of beach is a must, what's the sea temp like in that part of the world in 2nd or 3rd week of Sept? I have a month to get this sorted, so any ideas will be gratefully received.

GeoffCapes

My sister in law came back from there a few weeks ago and said it was absolutely gorgeous.
Not the cheapest place in the world, but very very nice. She stayed in Dubrovnik and was 5 minutes from the beach.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
We stayed in Cavtat ('sav-tat') a few years ago at the Hotel Croatia which is on a rocky promontory overlooking the village. Nice modern hotel (bit plastic). Village is a quick (steepish) walk away, with nice restaurants and big yachts. But just pebble beaches.

Dubrovnik old town is now utterly crammed with tourists, made worse by a recent influx of Game of Thrones nerds, but worth a walk around (get there first thing).

We did a boat trip to Lopud island, which had nice beaches and cafes. I think the beaches are on the opposite side of the island from the cafes, hotels and harbour (maybe 15 mins away). Definitely worth investigating as a place to stay.

We found the top inch of the sea was nice and warm, and the rest freezing, but that was in June, I think.

Whole country is full of Russians, as they can almost speak the language.

safrane

Friends just back from Dubrovnik and they stated the same - packed out with the majority of hotels booked up till end of Sept.

They would go back but out of season so they can see the place and not just people's backs.

They were however unable to spend much money as it was so much cheaper than London.

sionie1

We went last year in September but at the end into October. We stayed in crevna Luka in the Biograd na moru area - 20mins away from Split. Lovely resort with one of the few sand beaches. Good staff, Germans aplenty but no Russians, we would no back but would hire a car as the taxis are expensive unlike most other things in Croatia. Sea temp was best described as bracing... after a few minutes though you couldn't feel anything so it was ok...

Andyk

Anyone I know who has gone has said its a very pretty place and very cheap. Most go back.

D Walker

Everyone wh...o I know who has been have loved it.

I, However will never be going back, 6 months in 94 was enough...

Wally

Plitvice is absolutely marvellous for a visit, But the coast of istria is also beautiful. Sea temp in september is fine. In october sometimes rainy. We just returned from a holiday at camping Stoja near the city of Pula. We used one of the mobile homes near the sea: fantastic!! Prices in Croatia at average European level. (Past years we stayed at Rovinj and Rabac/Labin: great too)

Scaf

We visited Split a couple of years ago - absolutely lovely make sure you make time to visit some of the many waterfall parks - stunning

alfatwo

I was there in the 70's for 6 months when Tito was in power, there was no problem's

As long as you went to church on Sundays!

It was called Yugoslavia then..

Dave