Ghibli or not Ghibli.

Steve GS

If I were to get a Ghibli what engine is best petrol or devil fuel. Or should we save a little more to get the levante. We test drive the levante and it was a lovely place to be and a great drive. Will book a test in the Ghibli soon. And buying second hand. Pros and cons please.

jasst

Petrol, Diesel is for Tractors, Lorries, Vans. Has no place in an Italian Executive super saloon!!!!

Andyk

Depends on the miles you are doing.....30k a year diesel.....less than 20k a year petrol.....Diesels needs miles to make then work cost wise and the engines.

But w it's the world hating diesels I would go petrol....Never know what the tax man will do to diesels going forward.

MrMickS

It depends on budget as much as anything. The devil's fuel is quick off the mark, sounds good thanks to the speakers, and delivers decent mpg. Its also generally cheaper to buy. The petrol doesn't run on diesel, revs higher, and makes you a far better person if you drive it. Ok, that last one is probably stretching things a bit.

One big difference between the diesel and petrol from a drivability point of view is the diesel has better low end torque. In order to get the petrol going you need revs. Once its going though it makes a great noise (Check out my videos to hear it https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8RGl1hBpM9S2wOo2de59Bg) and does go.

I'd always buy the petrol but that's an irrational choice made on a deep seated loathing for Herr Diesel's engine and fuel. There's no question that the diesel will be cheaper to fuel. Only you know whether that's a good enough reason to go that way.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Ghibli S Petrol 'might' seem like a small Quattroporte. The others will seem like a big Ford Mondeo.

Why is the Ghibli S Q4 not available in the UK?

Ewan

Go straight to Petrol. Better sound, smell, performance, the lot. And more tree huggy.

Could well be cheaper as well, depending on usage and what the tax man does next. Better second hand value as well I suspect, as diesel cars in general become less and less desirable.

MrMickS

Ghibli S Petrol 'might' seem like a small Quattroporte. The others will seem like a big Ford Mondeo.

Why is the Ghibli S Q4 not available in the UK?

Except it's not small. It's as big as the QP V.

The SQ4 it being available is due to them not being bothered to sort out the 4WD system for the few sales they expected in RHD. Everyone would buy the diesel right?

MrMickS

MickS - What is your real world mpg in the Ghibli S ?

Over the 30000 miles I've done I average 23. It was higher but its got less as time's gone on. I do use it daily so there are a lot of short trips. I get 30 on a motorway run.

Steve GS

So a carefull lady driver who bearly takes the rev counter over 2000 revs and that's not a joke. She will be in the high 30mpg. Then I can take it out and let it breathe

MrMickS

So a carefull lady driver who bearly takes the rev counter over 2000 revs and that's not a joke. She will be in the high 30mpg. Then I can take it out and let it breathe

I think that the thing that's killing my mpg is short journeys in stop/start traffic rather than, necessarily revs or driving hard. Though its far too tempting just to push the loud pedal at times.

iainw

I think that the thing that's killing my mpg is short journeys in stop/start traffic rather than, necessarily revs or driving hard. Though its far too tempting just to push the loud pedal at times.

I think you are driving it as it should be driven. Great Videos mate.
Anyone who bothers to ask what the MPG is on a maserati should definitely not buy one.

Steve GS

I think you are driving it as it should be driven. Great Videos mate.
Anyone who bothers to ask what the MPG is on a maserati should definitely not buy one.
That's not so when trying to convince the wife that two Maserati is a great idea

keith

It depends on budget as much as anything. The devil's fuel is quick off the mark, sounds good thanks to the speakers, and delivers decent mpg. Its also generally cheaper to buy. The petrol doesn't run on diesel, revs higher, and makes you a far better person if you drive it. Ok, that last one is probably stretching things a bit.

One big difference between the diesel and petrol from a drivability point of view is the diesel has better low end torque. In order to get the petrol going you need revs. Once its going though it makes a great noise (Check out my videos to hear it https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8RGl1hBpM9S2wOo2de59Bg) and does go.

I'd always buy the petrol but that's an irrational choice made on a deep seated loathing for Herr Diesel's engine and fuel. There's no question that the diesel will be cheaper to fuel. Only you know whether that's a good enough reason to go that way.

The point regarding drivability is certainly valid. I know from my Diesel just a gentle prod of the accelerator in Sport mode, delivers what I would describe as very impressive performance. Also albeit artificial the sound produced from the exhaust, again when in sport, is like that of a V8.
In terms of running costs over two years my car is averaging low to mid thirties mpg, with even well over forty possible on a long run. Additionally my RFL is less than £200 per year. All Ghiblis such as mine which are 16my onwards are Euro 6 compliant and do not attract at least as yet any additional charges. However how long before petrol cars also become a target.
Final point, whilst the petrol engine is assembled in a Ferrari plant with all the cache that brings, the reliability of my more humble diesel has been perfect, be it short or long journeys, or even leaving it untouched for weeks at a time.
Also to conclude it may be of interest to note that whilst Ferrari assemble the petrol engines the block is shipped from Chrysler in the U.S.