No spark plugs needed!

bigbob

Interesting indeed... still hate the thought of autonomy in cars by 2025!!!

It won't happen other than in cities or on motorways for a long time - too dangerous. Most of the white lines on the B roads near me are nearly washed out plus how does it deal with potholes and nutters driving logging lorries. Whenever I see one of the latter I know what to expect and I know where the potholes/raised manhole covers are on my regular roads and position the car long before I get to them rather than weaving at short notice as any car with radar will.

MrMickS

I read something a few weeks ago that this was the technology that Honda was trying to get working in their F1 engine and why people are persisting with it even with the reliability issues. Once working properly it has the promise to deliver great performance and lower fuel use. The issue they are having is the fuel mix as its impacted by temperature etc. and the switch over from using a spark to spark-less ignition. Mazda have a blower in front of this engine, whereas the F1 cars have a turbo. My understanding is that you can get a higher air compression from a turbo but that the blower is more predictable and that would make this easier from the fuel mix point of view. Could be talking bo***x though :)

safrane

Re the point about autonomy and white lines... what happens if it snows?

Its bad enough now in that weather... if people become unaccustomed to driving full stop it will be gridlock.

MrMickS

Re the point about autonomy and white lines... what happens if it snows?

Its bad enough now in that weather... if people become unaccustomed to driving full stop it will be gridlock.

Bad weather is a big issue and will hold full autonomy back for a while. Rather than snow what about strong wind and leaves on the road or blowing in the air.

The ability to deal with the unexpected is what's going limit adopted in all but very controlled circumstances.

davy83

I believe you are right sir that turbos are uncontrolled compression whereas a blower is much more predictable. if you plan to cut the mixture to the exact minimum you need to remove any uncertainty. Although i am surprised its that important as the compression ratio in this engine must be pretty high for it to work.

I read something a few weeks ago that this was the technology that Honda was trying to get working in their F1 engine and why people are persisting with it even with the reliability issues. Once working properly it has the promise to deliver great performance and lower fuel use. The issue they are having is the fuel mix as its impacted by temperature etc. and the switch over from using a spark to spark-less ignition. Mazda have a blower in front of this engine, whereas the F1 cars have a turbo. My understanding is that you can get a higher air compression from a turbo but that the blower is more predictable and that would make this easier from the fuel mix point of view. Could be talking bo***x though :)