GS won't start

maseratimike7

Something popped on the US forum. Apparently the brake switch is double pole, double throw. With the brake lights being normally open, but the computer signal being normally closed.

Are there four cables on yours?

C
Yes 4 wires on mine.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

maseratimike7

Brake switch ordered will see if this solves the problem as the brake lights were intermittent when pressing the button on the sensor.

Hope this is the reason for the non start.

CatmanV2

Brake switch ordered will see if this solves the problem as the brake lights were intermittent when pressing the button on the sensor.

Hope this is the reason for the non start.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I suspect the PTS is quite smart.

C

maseratimike7

Brake pedal switch now changed, still nothing and no noise when pressing the start button.

Also brakes lights still working intermittently!

conaero

Forum Owner
Failed start button?

Remove the central panel (you may want to swap the Start and hazard round as its on the wrong side for RHD cars)

See if you have power to the start button and check for continuity through the button when you depress it.

Jump/short the multiple to see if it will start.

Its a quick and simple thing you can do at home with little skill or knowledge required.

maseratimike7

Failed start button?

Remove the central panel (you may want to swap the Start and hazard round as its on the wrong side for RHD cars)

See if you have power to the start button and check for continuity through the button when you depress it.

Jump/short the multiple to see if it will start.

Its a quick and simple thing you can do at home with little skill or knowledge required.
Thanks CA I will try the start button and see if this is the culprit.

maseratimike7

Starter button working fine and associated plug and leads to it......

At a loss now as to what electrical issue could be stopping it working.

Everything else works fine it just won't attempt to start.

Call auto electricians in the area today and none of them would even agree to work on it!

philw696

Need to access the starter motor and see if it works.
Guess it sounded healthy cranking over before the non start ?

maseratimike7

Need to access the starter motor and see if it works.
Guess it sounded healthy cranking over before the non start ?
Yeah no issues at all before the non start and it started over 5 times that day.

Even now starter motor doesn't get the chance to engage as the start button offer no response.

Just seems strange to have no feedback at all and for it to suddenly not work when all other electrics do.

As mentioned earlier my volt guage dropped from half way to well below a quarter just before I parked up.

Not sure if this points to something electrical being the issue as the volt has been stable at half way since changing the altenator.

CatmanV2

Could it be anything to do with an immobiliser?

It might. But I'd expect a CODE symbol on the dash if it was a simple error with it. It might be any number of things that are preventing PTS, immobiliser might be one of them.

C

conaero

Forum Owner
I think the immobiliser will stop the car from firing but it will still turn over.

Well, 3200 did anyway and they are basically the same car.

maseratimike7

I think the immobiliser will stop the car from firing but it will still turn over.

Well, 3200 did anyway and they are basically the same car.
Definately not attempting to start so that rules that option out as there is also no indicator on the dash.

conaero

Forum Owner
It is looking like failed power supply to the starter or failed solinoid.

Take it to trailer it to your local village garge and get them to put it on the ramp ant put a volt meter across the starter to see if it's getting juice.

Does anyone know where the starter is? I must confess as they fail so infrequently I don't know where it is? At a guess down the opposite side to the oil/water pump?