GS won't start

maseratimike7

Ok when I remove relays connected devices cut out during ignition and connected device not cut out during ignition the car cranks over but doesn't start.

Put them back in and the car does nothing.

What are these connected to as it might help me track down a missing wire etc?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

maseratimike7

Have you checked the fuse a few pages back on my post with the diagrams?
Hi CA,

Yes I did the relays I was referring to are panel A, R8, R9 if that helps.

Think these are definately causing the lack of permission to start as it will crank freely when they are disconnected so I am trying to establish what they govern so I can investigate further.

Had the intake off today to check the block earth cables and entire alternator set up, all was fine.

Mike

maseratimike7

Have until Thursday next week to figure this out before the auto electrician has a go!

Fuses good and replaced all of them, relays good and replaced all of them, starter motor good, battery good, altenator good, no warning lights on dash, all electrics work, no moisture anywhere in cabin.

Start button works, all earth cables i know of on engine and chassis in good order, fuel pump works and I get the prime whine as normal. This thing is driving me nuts and just doesn't make any sense!

Works fine for two years of ownership, no warnings or indications and just decides to die!

Gp79

Get some one with proper diagnostics in, I would be wary of someone not experienced with these cars having a go.

You can hire a car transporter / trailer for not a lot to get it somewhere to get codes read.

I did this when I had abs fault, MD confirmed fault (£120!) then I fixed for cost of part only.

maseratimike7

Get some one with proper diagnostics in, I would be wary of someone not experienced with these cars having a go.

You can hire a car transporter / trailer for not a lot to get it somewhere to get codes read.

I did this when I had abs fault, MD confirmed fault (£120!) then I fixed for cost of part only.
Thanks for the advice, I haven't found anyone local except one guy who would even consider working on the car. This mobile autoelectrician states he has worked on many maseratis before and it looked like a good option as my nearest MD is over 100 miles away.

Is there any DIY diagnostic system I could buy that would at least point me in the right direction of the problem?

Contigo

Sponsor
If no faults stored then I very much doubt it. Electrical issues are a ***** to fix. Is there no wiring diagram for the 4200 with fuses shown like I have for the 3200? At least we can then trace what those relays relate to.

maseratimike7

If no faults stored then I very much doubt it. Electrical issues are a ***** to fix. Is there no wiring diagram for the 4200 with fuses shown like I have for the 3200? At least we can then trace what those relays relate to.
Haven't been able to find any, it would help if they do exist.

So frustrating as I imagine it's something simple but very hard to detect and is giving no warning signs.

RobinL

I've been reading this with interest - a bit of a problem, no? $Reading through the whole list it seems to me that the problem lies with your R9 connected devices relay - as the connected devices will likely include the starter relays and all else required - relays are as noted by many a switch with a low voltage on the switch side and higher voltage on the 'switch in' side - the running voltage should not cause the relay to overheat or even really generate much heat at all.
So a hot relay, with draw down on the volts / battery could indicate a short somewhere - and that's really difficult to pin down as you will likely see power throughout, but not able to spot where its leaking out - and it wont necessarily blow a fuse either - rather than belling out for voltage you probably need to look at amps drawn through the relays.
In a nutshell - you need help with that.
You say alternator replaced - Im not sure if you have you tried starting with alternator disconnected? (probably yes as you seem to have tried everything else!)

CatmanV2

I've been reading this with interest - a bit of a problem, no? $Reading through the whole list it seems to me that the problem lies with your R9 connected devices relay - as the connected devices will likely include the starter relays and all else required - relays are as noted by many a switch with a low voltage on the switch side and higher voltage on the 'switch in' side - the running voltage should not cause the relay to overheat or even really generate much heat at all.
So a hot relay, with draw down on the volts / battery could indicate a short somewhere -

Not voltage, chap. Current. But you could well be correct about the short.

C

maseratimike7

Thanks, so if a short is the likely suspect to get to the bottom of this ill perform a test with remembering to disconnect the bonnet, boot and door connection so I can access all the fuses and relays.

As mentioned just before I switched the car off before it decided not to start the volt guage dropped which could be another sign of electrical loading due to a short somewhere.

D Walker

Problem is with a short you need a very systematic approach to the fault finding so you can isolate and test in sections. It can be anywhere. If it's been rubbing and worked through the insulation it can literally be anywhere. It's a mare when you have a full circuit diagram.
You definetly need one!!

maseratimike7

Problem is with a short you need a very systematic approach to the fault finding so you can isolate and test in sections. It can be anywhere. If it's been rubbing and worked through the insulation it can literally be anywhere. It's a mare when you have a full circuit diagram.
You definetly need one!!
Yeah its going to take a while and really test my patience.

Need some wire diagrams pronto!

D Walker

Indeed, I had a challenger tank once, every time we turned on the turret power, the turret started Turning and nothing would stop it,
3 weeks later I found a 2 core cable down by the drivers accelerator foot with the armour worn thru. And like I say, that was with a full wiring diagram and a few years expierience. Stick at it and good luck, very satisfying sorting these yourself and will be another for the forum archive.

rockits

We had an Apple printer once that nobody could fix. We had half a dozen of our engineers look at it for many many hours & nobody could fine the fault. It had led codes but through a generic fault code suggesting it has a fault but the controller had no idea what or why.

I decided I would go in & focus on fixing the printer one weekend. Got lucky I think as checked all wiring & just noticed that one of the plugs didn't seem pushed all the way home. Gave it a push to push it all the way home. Job done...& done by Sat lunchtime so had the rest of my weekend free!

As people have said a short especially an intermittent one can be a nightmare. Intermittent issues have taken many hours of my life in the IT world.

Was it ever intermittent or always working & now always not?

If stopped working after anything was replaced or changed or touched that is often the first place to look as always is a little coincidental.

A good auto electrician will get to the bottom of it soon enough I'm sure.

maseratimike7

Indeed, I had a challenger tank once, every time we turned on the turret power, the turret started Turning and nothing would stop it,
3 weeks later I found a 2 core cable down by the drivers accelerator foot with the armour worn thru. And like I say, that was with a full wiring diagram and a few years expierience. Stick at it and good luck, very satisfying sorting these yourself and will be another for the forum archive.
To true, I hopefully will be able to get to the problem eventually.

Not living near a dealer and having no auto electricians that have worked on these cars does cause you to be resourceful!

maseratimike7

We had an Apple printer once that nobody could fix. We had half a dozen of our engineers look at it for many many hours & nobody could fine the fault. It had led codes but through a generic fault code suggesting it has a fault but the controller had no idea what or why.

I decided I would go in & focus on fixing the printer one weekend. Got lucky I think as checked all wiring & just noticed that one of the plugs didn't seem pushed all the way home. Gave it a push to push it all the way home. Job done...& done by Sat lunchtime so had the rest of my weekend free!

As people have said a short especially an intermittent one can be a nightmare. Intermittent issues have taken many hours of my life in the IT world.

Was it ever intermittent or always working & now always not?

If stopped working after anything was replaced or changed or touched that is often the first place to look as always is a little coincidental.

A good auto electrician will get to the bottom of it soon enough I'm sure.
Never had the problem before then parked up and wouldn't start.

Fiddled around with wires and fuse box I'm foot well panel and it started once.

Never started again since so definately an electrical issue that I need to find.

Recently changed the altenator so will start from the wire loom there and work from the two suspect relays.