GS won't start

maseratimike7

Just been out for a great drive parked outside the house now car won't start!

No working lights, fuel pump primes and no fuses look broken.

Push the start button and no noise at all, no ticking or attempt to start.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

philw696

You need to check the fuses properly as they can look good but still not be serviceable.
It sounds electrical to me.

conaero

Forum Owner
Check the 10mm nuts that piggyback onto the positive terminal of the main battery connection.

Had the same thing on my GS

maseratimike7

Just managed to push it onto the driveway now with some help from the neighbour.

Will start to check fuses and connections linking to the terminal.

Tried holding down the start button for a prolonged period but no difference.

Must be electrical as the starter is not even trying.

CatmanV2

Thinking about it logically a failed Start button would probably create these symptoms.....

C

maseratimike7

Thinking about it logically a failed Start button would probably create these symptoms.....

C
You mean the start button connection on the back of it might have failed?

Are there any usual suspect fuses I should be checking first other than starter ones?

CatmanV2

You mean the start button connection on the back of it might have failed?
Yes, or the button itself is no longer closing the correct circuit. No idea about fuses and stuff I'm afraid.

There are several conditions that need to be satisfied before the ECU will issue PTS (permission to start) however, so I guess it could be any of them. Brake light switch also springs to mind as a good check point.

C

maseratimike7

Yes, or the button itself is no longer closing the correct circuit. No idea about fuses and stuff I'm afraid.

There are several conditions that need to be satisfied before the ECU will issue PTS (permission to start) however, so I guess it could be any of them. Brake light switch also springs to mind as a good check point.

C
Thanks C,

I'll work with the fuses first and then look at the starter switch.

CatmanV2

Thanks C,

I'll work with the fuses first and then look at the starter switch.

Do check your brake switch as well. On the 4200 you won't get PTS unless the brake has a good contact. Is your car in neutral? If not, try selecting that.

C

safrane

As C states check the brake lights are coming on and if not flick the brake peddle a few times with your foot as it may be a sticky switch there.

maseratimike7

Car is definitely in N, I will add the brake switch to the list.

The brake lights work.

Ewan

What about the starter motor itself? Have you tried giving that a manly tap with a hammer?

maseratimike7

What about the starter motor itself? Have you tried giving that a manly tap with a hammer?
Not yet but I am not getting any click it's silent so presume it's something electric rather than the starter getting stuck.

Could be the unit itself I suppose so will add this to the list of things to check!

Stewart

If u can access the starter, you can connect a set of jump leads to the correct terminals and it should turn, this will point you back down the trail, e.g.Flat battery?, Power going to solenoid?, power to ignition switch, good luck, but sounds like system is flat, this can happen even with a good battery, if its flat you will have no lights, horn, wipers, inside light etcetc.

Gp79

Access to the starter motor is v poor.

I would recommend getting it taken to a garage with proper diagnostics for a quick diagnosis, once you have ruled out the obvious.
- battery, f1 pump working, battery connections.

Even a simple problem like F1 system having low pressure, clutch position sensor not reading properly etc etc will prevent start up, it could be anything.

Mine wouldn't start up when the F1 pump died, luckily an obvious fault so fixed for little.

FYI - If it is still in gear when you attempt a start it will automatically select neutral before attempting a start after a slight delay, also starts without touching the brake pedal.

maseratimike7

Ok guys checked all major fuses for starter and f1 etc all working correctly.

Battery 12.4v reading as car isn't running and all connections tight.

I suspect the brake sensor has failed as I checked this last and I have no break lights.

All other lights work as normal.

Any advice on where to get a replacement or test that this is the actual culprit?

Thanks again for the help everyone I would be lost without your help.