How to lock a QP without arming the alarm?

TridentTested

On my previous cars, whenever I was parking them on a car ferry, I was able to lock the car without activating the alarm simply by using the key in the door, rather than the remote fob.

On the QP I see this doesn't work and I return to see the red LEDs on the doors blinking away - which I presume means the alarm sounded during the voyage.

Reading up in the owner's handbook it seems one is supposed to press one, or both, of the buttons at the rearview mirror. This is supposed to suppress the anti-movement sensor. I tried that, the orange lights on the buttons flashed as described in the handbook, I locked the car with the remote, but when I returned, unlocked it with the remote, and put the key in the ignition I got the error message "attempted break-in". This is the first time I tried to suppress the movement sensor this is the first time I got a break-in warning.

I don't mind the alarm sounding on the car deck - it doesn't disturb me - but I'm worried on the longer ferry crossings it could flatten the battery. We all know how easily flattened Maserati batteries are.

Anyone know the correct procedure?