New member, nearly new MC Stradale........

Strad

I wanted to introduce myself as a new member who has recently joined your ranks amongst the Maserati owners. After 3 months of search, web-surfing, advice gathering, my tyre-kicking finally came to an end when I acquired the Lava Grey 2016 Stradale previously owned by David (w5pwr).

This forum was a massive help on a whole spectrum of questions and concerns that I had invented. A big thank you must go to a number of you who guided me through the process, Ewan and Guy (both introduced through a mutual friend) whose enthusiasm and tips were invaluable, Dicky G who generously gave me his time, Craig (Med Blue Strad) who was a month or so ahead of me on the Stradale purchase and gave me the push to finally take the leap. David for very kindly talking to one of the aforementioned about his car and critically confirming it wasn't full of gremlins forcing the relatively early sale - above all for clearly cherishing it which means I have a virtually new car which I hope to keep in the same condition for the long term.

I picked it up on its first birthday and haven't looked back so no post-purchase blues. I was in a C63 before so had to get something with a decent soundtrack and having two 4x4's in the family wanted something more sporty looking than the C63 Estate but able to take all three kids - sorry wife.... Various derivatives of the 911 spring to mind but I don't see a lot of value in that market currently and I love the fact that I've never seen another Stradale on the road.

Initial thoughts??? It's not a fast car by today's terms, certainly no quicker than the AMG was but the smile inducing theatre of each trip elevates it to another league. Despite its size and weight it feels well planted on the black stuff and lifting the bonnet shows they've pushed the engine deep towards/ into the bulkhead which must help balance and handling enormously. The clunky gear change makes me grin and underlines that fact that paddles are still changing a mechanical gear when the driver dictates but just in a different way to a pure manual. The noise is altogether something else, I live in the middle of nowhere and friends have told me they've heard it across the fields, literally miles (plural) away!
I don't think the auto and sport buttons will get worn out but are starting to get used purely as an act of consideration to others living in the same county....

Anyway, I'm one very happy new owner feeling very privileged to drive such a great example of this special model from the legendary brand.
Photos will follow but haven't had the chance to take anything that gets close to the ones David took - love the front three quarter angle taken up on a moor, posted when he was selling the spare black alloys / winter tyres. You know the one!

Mark.
p.s. Sorry about the totally unimaginative Username which was 'thought' up in a rush at day 1......

Ewan

Hi Mark - nice to have you on the forum. And great choice of car as well, obviously. As you say, it's not all about plain speed - what a Maserati gives over the competition is that sense of occasion and style. The noise as well, obviously.

Just last week I joined the GranTurismo gang as well, buying a 4.7 GT-S MC-Shift with MC Sport Line pack. 20 bhp down on the Strad and a bit heavier, but hopefully powerful enough to manage the 3 miles to my office. You never know, if I like it and the QP GTS sells, I may yet end up in a Strad. But let's not get ahead of myself...

Really hope that you get a lot of fun out of your car. If you ever head to the south west (to see Ryder maybe), get in touch and we'll all meet up.

w5pwr

Congratulations Mark, I am glad the car found a good new home!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, if you have any question about the car feel free to contact me?

David

Andyk

Well come Mark...What a car..sounds like you are smitten......Lava Grey is a rare colour to and was an expensive option when new...Think it was around 6k. Enjoy her.

StuartW

Welcome along Mark & I'm sure the grin on your face will stay there for a long time!
You certainly have a good one there, I met up with David and his car a little while back when he wanted to listen the Larini X pipe on mine (you think the Stradale sounds good out of the box ...!) and the colour is stunning in the flesh - enjoy!

2 strads.jpg

Guy

Mark, happy to have Ben able to help convince you to join, though quite frankly you didn't take much convincing! Waiting for the right car has certainly paid off and I cannot wait to see it in the flesh; Goodwood revival all being well? Find myself trawling Pistonheads for GTSs now....

Ewan

Guy,

Having recently bought a GT-S I spent a while following the usual websites, seeing what was out there at what prices. I concentrated purely on 4.7 MC-Shift cars as I already have the QP GTS for when an auto is required. I wanted the GT-S to be more fun, fast and physical, hence the need for it to be a (robotised) manual. For value, the black 2011 with 30k miles at Sytner and an asking price of just below £40k looked best value of those from dealers. So if you are getting bored with your QP GTS, changing it for a similar age GT-S MC Shift shouldn't cost you much at all.

Guy

Ewan, thanks for the steer! I am certainly not bored with the QPV GTS and always looking for an excuse to extract it from the Carcoon in the garage but, after switching it from primary transport to garage queen, I am not sure it is ideal for that purpose. I know that the GT-S is barely any smaller or lighter but I would like something a little more hardcore for special occasions! As this includes weekends away on the continent and a desire to take Mrs Guy, this rules out Caterhams, Exige 350s etc and I am still convinced that having fun without risking license loss or worse rules out options such as 997 turbos and R8s so I keep returning to the idea of a GT-S. Ideally, it would be a face lift model but there don't seem to be too many MC Shift versions about, as everyone seems to have ordered the the MC Auto on the later cars. Lots of MC Shift cars advertised but inspection reveals the ZF box. Great as it is, I am not sure I would experience much of a change to my 'last of the line' QPV GTS. What I probably need is an MC Stradale like Mark the OP but that's a whole different budget! Will talk man maths with Ryder....

Strad

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure I've worked out this posting lark - tried sending my first last night and it wasn't there this morning so re-wrote and posted roughly the same thing but looking now, both attempts seem to have been posted. Anyway....

Ewan - great news about the GT-S, we must hook up with Ryder who will certainly help Guy with the man maths!
Stuart - love the photo of the brace of Strads (collective noun for Strads??), a few of you commented on the Lava Grey colour. It's really very light gunmetal grey in sunlight but the slightest drop in light and it looks black. Mad.

What's all this about the H or X pipes....??? Do I really want a louder car????

Welcome to the fold.

I am in Little Horkesley so very close to Colchester and have done 18k miles from new in my Strad over the past 3.5 years, mostly around Colchester also. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Had 2 GTS's and a Gransport from new also so know most of the ups and downs of Maser ownership so-to-speak!

Stu

azapa

welcome and congratulations on the car. if you don't think it's that fast, try pushing that peddle on the right a little harder! Mine still surprises me - I am convinced it tries to kill me the first 20 mins out, then we come to a sort of understanding for the rest of the jaunt.

iainw

Congratulations Mark, I am glad the car found a good new home!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, if you have any question about the car feel free to contact me?

David

Gorgeous car - congrats on the sale David and Congrats on the purchase Strad!
Best looking car on the road in the best colour.

iainw

Welcome along Mark & I'm sure the grin on your face will stay there for a long time!
You certainly have a good one there, I met up with David and his car a little while back when he wanted to listen the Larini X pipe on mine (you think the Stradale sounds good out of the box ...!) and the colour is stunning in the flesh - enjoy!

View attachment 44958

What a pair of stunners