Door Mirror Glass (Heated)

hashluck

CatmanV2

You'd probably test them with a laser / IR non contact thermometer

I'd have thought checking the fuse would be favourite, but yes I do think the 166 glass fits.

C

hashluck

Thanks. I also thought fuse but the heated mirrors are on the same circuit as a bunch of other stuff that does work!

tcrote5516

Are we 100% sure that it's not based on the ambient temp reading? I would be surprised if it comes on every time the car is running. To me it would make sense that at a certain temp they are activated and testing during the summer may not have triggered them.

conaero

Forum Owner
The wing mirror heat comes on when the rear window defrost is activated. Does the rear window defrost ok?

It unusual for them both to fail so would look at a common component to both mirrors.

I take it the motorisation still works?

hashluck

The motorisation and folding all works fine. The heated rear window also works fine.

I actually have no proof myself that they do not work as I have not had the need for them in my ownership as yet, I am relying on the indie inspection report. It is possible they have not worked for quite a few years prior to my ownership and did not both fail at the same time of course.

I think I will have a word with the indie in question as to their thoughts on the matter.

Thanks all

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, you need to test.

Its very difficult to remove the glass without breaking it, you need to use a small hook tool to release the tangs.

A simpler way might be to remove the door card (easy) and pull the multplug and see if the glass is getting current when you switch it on, as I suspect its not. These never fail you see and you have 2 gone so its quite bizarre.

Alternatively you could then also put 12v across the heater to see if does in fact work.

hashluck

Thanks a lot as ever. That is why I think I will talk to the indie and see how they tested them and came to the conclusion they were not working.

miket

My car has heated mirrors and a switch just for them as its a spyder, the handbook says they are timed but best to switch off when the mirrors clear! I have used an Alfa mirror glass to replace one on mine, works perfectly well but a slightly different tiny.
You could spray a fine mist of water on the mirror(s) and switch on the rear window demister to see if they clear?

hashluck

Asked the indie who did the inspection report about this and they said they test by simply feeling if they get warm to the touch or not when Heated Rear Window switched on. And in their experience if there are no related issues on the same circuit then it is almost always the elements in the glass have failed.

I shall wait until the weather is such that I am certain they do not work and then swap the glass as a first cheap fix try.