Levante S Q4: Driven

MrMickS

Took a trip to the local Maserati dealer yesterday to test drive a Levante SQ, which is basically an updated Ghibli S on stilts.

The interior updates seem to work. I liked the updates to the Infotainment system, tough as the screen is still a touch screen I don't see the point of the little dials it seems like a me-too feature rather than anything else. The way that it automatically lowers the suspension as you get to silly speeds, to lower the centre of gravity, is a neat.

On startup they've done something to the exhaust. Its raspier than my Ghibli S, especially in sport mode. I like the Ghibli sound but this is just more. Attention grabbing more.

This car was fitted with pretty much all of the options, so the 360 camera, and all the driving aids. These were all on to start with. The 360 camera I liked, especially when manoeuvring out of the car park. Likewise the blind spot warnings in the wing mirrors. That would be useful driving abroad I think. Just to keep an eye on the passenger side. One thing that was a little odd was the adjustment of the drivers wing mirror, I couldn't move it out far enough so got to see a huge chunk of the rear of the car.

Anyway onto driving it. In traffic it felt just like a tall Ghibli. I'm not sure about sitting that high, its not really for me on a day to day basis. The one real change from my Ghibli is the steering is now electric rather than hydraulic. It did feel different. Not as smooth and, if anything, heavier even though the salesman said that it should be lighter.

Around the low speed part of the test drive the car behaved itself. Even though it was taller I didn't notice any roll or pitching. It did feel better behaved than the standard suspension on the Ghibli to be honest. Sport mode on the suspension was more like my Skyhook sports mode. It does drive like a normal car.

It was on this part that I came across the lane assist trying to interfere for the first time. The reason for the electric steering is so that they can have lane assist etc. as it allows the computer to take over the steering if it thinks in needs to. There were some road works on the left that meant you had to put the right wheel over the white line. The car didn't like that and tried to nudge me back and into the cones.

On the more open, quicker section, of the drive I pushed the throttle a bit and, blipping the paddles down, got that anticipated roar from the exhaust and decent acceleration to overtake. That lane assist kept trying to interfere though so I turned it off. I really don't understand why anyone would want these things on any car, never mind a Maserati. To me it seemed to be trying to second guess my decisions and I just didn't like it. Annoying despite being switched off it turned itself back on when you restarted the ignition. That would irritate.

Interestingly M found it easier to drive than the Ghibli. She thought that's probably to with two things; it wasn't my car so any damage to it she'd feel less guilty about, also the taller driving position.

All in all its a decent car. It was in GranSport (I know) trim with carbon bits and leather dash. It felt like a luxury vehicle, made the right noises, and did hustle when we tried to make it do it. If I need to get a 4x4 at some point its definitely on the list. For the moment though I'd rather not.

As we were chatting it was mentioned that there was a 2018 GT in the car park around the back, so we went to have a look at listen:

IMG_0121.jpg

If this is the last of the NA V8s its worth it. The sound is awesome, the cabin cosseting, and I really like that front. I was told that if I brought this home when I changed the car there would be no complaints.

Andyk

I really like the 2018 GT....The face lift really works and sort of beings it more up to date.

philw696

Range Rover had self leveling speed sensitive suspension back in 94 and worked brilliantly in both the P38's that I owned.

bigbob

I really like the 2018 GT....The face lift really works and sort of beings it more up to date.

Agree they seem to have nailed it. I never liked the front end of the GT Sport and my GTS Auto is now looking old but they seem to have updated it enough. If I was more stupid than I am then I would try and convince myself that I should have one as a keeper but as my 44k mile 61 plate GTS Auto is likely worth only £30-35k to the trade the numbers are silly even if I need to spend a fair bit on the undercarriage of my car in the next few years.

PS The air suspension on the Levante is very impressive but an SQ4 Ghibli would be better IMHO if only they made it in RHD.

PPS Get a good discount:

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...pends-maserati-levante-output-for-9-more-days

Andyk

What I don't get is that to get the Stradale looking one you need 109k where as the standard one is 96k I believe yet performance figures are identical...why would you pay the extra.....You could get a highly spec standard car for less and don't think you would feel short changed unless you had to have the Stradale body that is.

MrMickS

What I don't get is that to get the Stradale looking one you need 109k where as the standard one is 96k I believe yet performance figures are identical...why would you pay the extra.....You could get a highly spec standard car for less and don't think you would feel short changed unless you had to have the Stradale body that is.

Heh. Almost got an admission from the salesman that the quoted figures don't tell the whole truth but are somewhat understated for certain cars in order to keep the red car maker happy ;)

bigbob

Heh. Almost got an admission from the salesman that the quoted figures don't tell the whole truth but are somewhat understated for certain cars in order to keep the red car maker happy ;)

It's an easy line to throw in to the mix to get an order. Mind they have made the 4.7 engine in the following PS outputs - 430, 440, 450 & now 460. No idea if anything is different really or indeed what the true output is.

I don't find the car slow on the road and like the n/a pull from low revs. Actually I think it is the 6 speed ZF auto holding the car back more than the engine as the 8 speed ZF auto you have in the Ghilbi and is used extensively elsewhere is brilliant. Shame they did not squeeze that in.

Contigo

Sponsor
Fine in a disco or SUV like that but not in a sports/GT.

I had 7 on my SMG M5 and that was one too many.

MrMickS

8 is fine. Top two gears are really overdrive gears so only really for use on cruises and help to squeeze some economy out of it.

Andyk

That doesn't make sense though Mick as why show two cars in the same range with 14k price difference with exactly the same performance figures...even shower a little improvement to to show your money is getting a bit more performance.

bigbob

That doesn’t make sense though Mick as why show two cars in the same range with 14k price difference with exactly the same performance figures...even shower a little improvement to to show your money is getting a bit more performance.

I think there has been some suggestion that they have always understated the output of the 4.7 engine full stop. Doubt it really varies between derivatives.

azapa

8 is fine. Top two gears are really overdrive gears so only really for use on cruises and help to squeeze some economy out of it.

IMHO 8 Gears are great in smaller-engined, heavier cars. It keeps the engine right in the sweet spot and make them fizz along.

It would not seem that necessary in a high power/torque car.

MrMickS

As we've said from the beginning they needed to bring the petrol one over. That said people the diesels they are cheaper and help to get them out on the road. Introducing the petrol now gives a second bite at the cherry and picks up those people that didn't want a diesel. With luck, when the V8/Hybrid is introduced in a year or so, they'll get more press and a third set of sales. Maserati have played this quite well to maximise the number of initial sales.

safrane

I am a little sceptical that a petrol version will do much for sales...ok real drivers may like it, but joe public are stuck on the derv cars...a hybrid may be a different story though.