Levante S Q4: Driven

Contigo

Sponsor
Managed to get a test drive arranged via Bowker Maserati in the new Levante S model which has recently been announced for the UK market. It's about time eh? Order now and you are looking at October delivery.

The car I drove was a LHD Italian market car which was doing the rounds at various dealer and later on this month will be at Millbrook. The new S model features the 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged V6 from the Ghibli S but has an extra 20 bhp (424bhp) which is welcome thanks to the sheer size and weight of the Levante. 0-60 is despatched in 5.2 seconds and the Levante powers its way to a lofty 164mph, got to Love the Italian for not limiting their cars like the Germans.

First impressions of jumping in the cabin are that it is a lovely place to be, very much identical to the Diesel model I've sat in before apart from some nice carbon bits and lovely red stitching. The ICE is much more inline with a modern car and offers a massive improvement over the old generation entertainment systems fitted to the GT and QP cars of old. The touchscreen system is much more intuitive and user friendly than the aforementioned.

Despite numerous comments from various car journalists about the limited footwell space and offset driving position I did not struggle to get comfortable via the electrical switches nor did I feel that space was compromised.

Fire the engine up with the Start/Stop button and the Ferrari designed and built V6 barks into life. Pressing the SPORT button really does enhance the sound and there is a really purposeful burble when idling.

I drove about a 30 miles loop mixed motorway and A roads so got a feel for the performance and handling, it was a wet day (The North West!!!) and the car felt really surefooted and planted (50:50 weight distribution claimed) even when under heavy acceleration away from the lights and when cornering hard. The only way to drive the Levante S is in SPORT mode where you get the better throttle response, lower ride height and blips on downchange. There is also a nice mode where you can press the SPORT mode again in order to have comfort and ride height set for bumpier roads without the crashiness you'd expect in the lowest setting. It's almost like the bumpy mode (shock absorber symbol) fitted to Ferrari's recent cars. Using the flappy paddles to downchange and the car emits snorts and cracks as you press on and the 8 speed ZF box offers pin sharp changes as quick as anything you would ever need or could measure! I love the induction noises with the valves open and it's not too dissimilar to the sound of the latest C63 AMG which is of course not a bad thing.

If I were in the market for a SUV right now the Levante S would definitely be a contender, superb handling , class leading cabin and acceptable looks when compared to the competition (Cayenne, X5, F-Pace, Stelvio etc...)

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

[video=youtube;5VLlV5O162g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VLlV5O162g[/video]

The lovely gent who acommpanied me on the test drive was a Maserati UK representative who certainly knew how to drive. This is him at 2:12 launching the MY18 GTS up Goodwood hill and totally committed at Molecombe!

Enjoy!

[video=youtube;jhFcNl9Y-ZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhFcNl9Y-ZY[/video]

bigbob

Interesting, glad they have brought the petrol to the UK but the price premium is high. The driving position comments relate to RHD cars and restricted left leg space. It bothers some but not others and is easily identified on a test drive.

I had a diesel Levante for a week and felt the skyhook air suspension was impressive. Definitely worth a look versus a Cayenne, RRS, X5 etc.

conaero

Forum Owner
Indeed, its the RHD footwell that was the issue.

It does look nice inside and out.

If I personally was in the market for a luxury cruiser I would go the new TT QP, I really like it for some reason.

Nice review Phil and thanks to Bowker for supplying the power :)

Blondie

Yeahhhh, just ordered a new petrol Levante S.

Unfortunately I have to wait for Maserati to do the next run which (hopefully) will mean delivery in December.

Decided it wouldn't look good in yellow (fat lip) but I've compensated with yellow calipers!!! Black everywhere else with carbon fibre accents.

Can't wait. At least having slimmer feet than most men, the narrow footwell isn't a problem.

See, being a female Maserati driver has some advantages :jptongue:

bigbob

Yeahhhh, just ordered a new petrol Levante S.

Unfortunately I have to wait for Maserati to do the next run which (hopefully) will mean delivery in December.

Decided it wouldn't look good in yellow (fat lip) but I've compensated with yellow calipers!!! Black everywhere else with carbon fibre accents.

Can't wait. At least having slimmer feet than most men, the narrow footwell isn't a problem.

See, being a female Maserati driver has some advantages :jptongue:

Would love to have seen a petrol Levante - one of my favourite colours! Gone for yellow stitching and seat belts?

Blondie

They didn't offer yellow stitching and/or seat belts grrrr. I told Ross (Dick Lovett) that I'd wait for its arrival and then use a yellow highlighter on the stitching haha. The look on his face was PRICELESS!!!
And yes, I'm keeping the Stradale although I must admit I'm tempted to upgrade to the new facelift version. But I LOVE the racing seats and harnesses. The four seater looks rather tame when you compare the two. Ah, decisions, decisions.....
Only downside is that I still haven't had my plans passed by council so I'm without a garage. So frustrating!

conaero

Forum Owner
Blondie, 2 seater Strad with harnesses, carbon and the cage....keep it, it will be worth more in the long run than the the final release.

How about fitting the upgraded bumper to your Strad and I am sure you could do th infotainment too but personally I wouldn't bother, the bumper maybe plus keep the old one to put it back to stock if you ever sell.

JonW

They didn't offer yellow stitching and/or seat belts grrrr. I told Ross (Dick Lovett) that I'd wait for its arrival and then use a yellow highlighter on the stitching haha. The look on his face was PRICELESS!!!
And yes, I'm keeping the Stradale although I must admit I'm tempted to upgrade to the new facelift version. But I LOVE the racing seats and harnesses. The four seater looks rather tame when you compare the two. Ah, decisions, decisions.....
Only downside is that I still haven't had my plans passed by council so I'm without a garage. So frustrating!

Look forward to seeng the Levante S - I'm in Ashtead so we are almost neighbours

Andyk

Blondie, 2 seater Strad with harnesses, carbon and the cage....keep it, it will be worth more in the long run than the the final release.

How about fitting the upgraded bumper to your Strad and I am sure you could do th infotainment too but personally I wouldn't bother, the bumper maybe plus keep the old one to put it back to stock if you ever sell.

I would keep it standard as they will be the ones that fetch the money as time goes on. The two seater looks great as it is. But as Matt said if you want to change the bumper you could just change back when the time comes to sell it to me

hilts uk

I started to place an order for the S and abandoned it and went for the Stelvio QF. Performance will be in a different league to the Levante and Macan size which I prefer. I liek the idea of having a Guila QF I can put the dog in the back. I'm happy with the Levante - a few niggle like tyre sensors failing and the odd rattle but overall its met my expectations and I've yet to see another on the road which I like.

P R

GOod choice. Though from what I have read the Stelvio QV wont be arriving until 2018?

samueluper

I drove the S Q4 and the dealer said that was the loudest Maserati ever produced (without counting MC12). There was a Granturismo MC Stradale and sounded a bit quieter...

MrMickS

I drove the S Q4 and the dealer said that was the loudest Maserati ever produced (without counting MC12). There was a Granturismo MC Stradale and sounded a bit quieter...

I was behind one at the weekend. It wasn't that loud. I struggled to hear it above the GranSport Spyder between me and it ;)

hilts uk

Looks like Summer 2018 for the Stelvio QF. Now I need to think whether I keep the diesel Levante for another 10 months, get the levante s petrol or go for the Guila QF...

MrMickS

Just arranged a test drive this weekend. The list price on the demo car here is £92k. It must have every extra available.