Slow driving

maverick

A question guys

Is this correct on early 4200,that if you pull and hold the down shift when in 1st gear it helps with pulling away the same in reverse apparently it's in the hand book .not to sure if that's correct or is this the hill start thingy which I didn't think was on the early models . Can anyone throw some light on this . As the new owners are having trouble with pulling away in 1st to the point they think something is wrong with the car which there shouldn't be as it was fine .

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Right foot down go faster, right foot up go slower. Tell them to deselect ASR, stamp on the gas pedal and they will see it pulls away Ok. Who needs the f*cking handbook.

philw696

There won't be anything wrong it's just for some drivers an F1 box is not for them.
Benny is spot on really.
What were they driving prior to getting your car John ?

safrane

Mav,

That is the parking mode or hill start. However only available on the first gen F1 box software.

If your old car ever had a reflash of the software this was lost and to never return. Later cars had hill start utilising the brake hold.

A throttle reset may aid the new driver get used to the car more and also let the car leqrn his style too.

The only other thing he could do if have the PIS adjusted to his preferences.

Once the driver gets to know how the car behaves he will be more confident with low speed manoeuvres.

2b1ask1

Special case
Up to 2002 had this unless (as Peter says) they had the update done.

They need to pull away fairly aggressively and not dither. Given time they will get it.

Moz1000

Mate, like I said at Brands, it would have been better to have fitted the TCU that you have with the later software loaded. Much more forgiving for the novice CC driver.
Moz

maverick

Ok I was on my way this morning to them to see the car and to make sure everything was ok , just filling up at the garage when I get a text saying he been out in the car and thinks he's got the hang of it now so not to bother coming . There goes my lie in oh well now Iam up full English it is than .

D Walker

Ok I was on my way this morning to them to see the car and to make sure everything was ok , just filling up at the garage when I get a text saying he been out in the car and thinks he's got the hang of it now so not to bother coming . There goes my lie in oh well now Iam up full English it is than .��

I was same until i got used to just pushing the **** pedal - go and look for a Cayman then....

jasst

It does take a bit of getting used to, if your not familiar with the way the car behaves, I have to creep forward up a slight slope to see round other vehicles parked on drive, as I pull out on to the road, not the ideal situation, especially as the clutch does not engage till about 1200rpm, but now I'm used to it it's fine.

Contigo

Sponsor
Exactly get used to the biting point effectively and pull away with the correct amount of pedal force. He's been smoking too many pancakes :D