Need help to turn a disaster into a positive

JonW

All,

I've had a minor disaster, and spilt a load of paint in my boot (see pic).

Have tried to scrub it out (water based emulsion), but whilst it's better, not all of it is coming out.

So this probably means I need to get my boot retrimmed, and am hoping you can help me out with some good recommendations? I would also quite like to use it as a chance to improve the car, and am thinking I might get it retrimmed with a trident logo (which I think I've seen in a car I looked at before I bought mine.)

Attachments

• DE4DCF3D-C582-4FDD-9E4C-853CD083C9F7.jpg
    DE4DCF3D-C582-4FDD-9E4C-853CD083C9F7.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 113

spkennyuk

Soapy water and keep at it. A vax will help a lot if you have access to one. Keep it wet. If it has already dried or started to dry then you can try acetone on a damp cloth to get it fluid again. Spot test first somewhere and make sure you wash / vax it all out.

Steam gun is another option the paint goes like stretchy string and you can pull it away from the carpet. Even if it has already dried. Work on a small area at at time.

If all else fails then give the last of the marks a light dusting over with a suitable colour aerosol paint or dye it back the same / similar colour.

AaronE

I spilled head gasket sealer in mine – it did not clean well. it's much better, but I couldn't be as aggressive as I needed to be because the carpet fibers were pulling up. I left it just kinda cleaned, but if you wanted it better, get one out of a crashed car on eBay or just peel off the carpet and retrim it which should be very easy.

voicey

Voicey - what is underneath the cloth? I was trying not to get it too wet as I thought it may damage it?

It's some kind of fibrous board. It may get damaged by soaking but it's not like it's in pristine condition right now...

JonW

A new one might not be as expensive as you think?

Thanks - I just assumed it would be silly money

They're cheap, sure they are about £40 or so.

Cheers Dicky - will take a look

Soapy water and keep at it. A vax will help a lot if you have access to one. Keep it wet. If it has already dried or started to dry then you can try acetone on a damp cloth to get it fluid again. Spot test first somewhere and make sure you wash / vax it all out.

Steam gun is another option the paint goes like stretchy string and you can pull it away from the carpet. Even if it has already dried. Work on a small area at at time.

If all else fails then give the last of the marks a light dusting over with a suitable colour aerosol paint or dye it back the same / similar colour.

Good tips - thanks!

Could have been worse:

(language is NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6l2py68WY4

Quality! Do you have a library of funny videos for every occasion?

that's not a paint spill, this is a paint spill

View attachment 44987

True - it could have been much worse!

It's some kind of fibrous board. It may get damaged by soaking but it's not like it's in pristine condition right now...

Fair point! Thanks...

Wow - that's a bizarre way to write off a car...