4200 lack of power

jasst

So, the 4200 appears to have developed a bit of a problem, She wont rev over 4000 when in gear, or when parked with foot on brake in neutral wont rev at all, take your foot off brake pedal and will rev all the way up to red line, put in neutral while driving and will rev to red line, put back in gear and wont go over 4000. Anybody any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
So, we appear to have developed a bit of a problem, She wont rev over 4000 when in gear, or when parked with foot on brake in neutral wont rev at all, take your foot off brake pedal and will rev all the way up to red line, put in neutral while driving and will rev to red line, put back in gear and wont go over 4000.
Any pointers guys?

I've always found that using my finger works well enough, but you can use a stick.

conaero

Forum Owner
I have seen this same fault on here before from another member.

Do some searches and the remidy will turn up.

rockits

As Mav says
..check ICE button. Is it a CC?

I had this once on my 4200 CC just after I got it & before I had it on a trickle charger. The battery was low & it only just started. Difficulty engaging gears on the CC & no power anywhere only light power would move it forward.

Drove it for 2 mins to the end of the road & it seemed to kick into life & was back to normal & fine. Never did it again & has been perfectly fine ever since. Was always on a trickle charger after that & seems much happier for it.

It hadn't run out or low on battery? Wasn't jump started?

Could be a MAF maybe if none of above.

jasst

do you have any of the fd ecus? They do have a wallet mode.

No standard. It did it last week after an enforced 6 week lay up, started her up, drove up the road and wouldn't rev over 4000, pulled into lay by, switched off and re started and all was fine. rest of journey was fine, then yesterday drove 45miles to Exeter and all was fine, then drove up to Taunton and as pulled off motorway did it again and this time has stayed, parked up at Thornfalcon classic car show, and hoped all would be well when I went home, but no, had to drive all the way home (35 miles) like it, tried stopping and restarting a couple of times, but no joy.

jasst

As Mav says
..check ICE button. Is it a CC?

I had this once on my 4200 CC just after I got it & before I had it on a trickle charger. The battery was low & it only just started. Difficulty engaging gears on the CC & no power anywhere only light power would move it forward.

Drove it for 2 mins to the end of the road & it seemed to kick into life & was back to normal & fine. Never did it again & has been perfectly fine ever since. Was always on a trickle charger after that & seems much happier for it.

It hadn't run out or low on battery? Wasn't jump started?

Could be a MAF maybe if none of above.

Yes its a CC, fired straight up when I started her after 6 weeks, battery didn't appear to be low, and certainly didn't need jump starting. The most puzzling thing is the fact that it will rev freely when in neutral with foot off the brake, but put foot on brake, or put in gear and it wont??
Cant find anything in search Matt.

jasst

No engine management light of any type, clutch works fine.
think ill give Dan at F-tech a ring.

conaero

Forum Owner
Not a slipping clutch is it?

Mind you the rev counter would still go all the way round.

Contigo

Sponsor
Unplug your MAF mate and try it open loop.

If that fails get the battery fully condition charged.

FIFTY

+1 on the above from Phil

Vacuum leak can cause some strange problems but that will make the car rev by itself and cause a lumpy idle

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep Pedal pot is a good shout to check for sure, I'd also be looking at things like O2 sensors but would expect a code from them !

jasst

Right, have disconnected the MAF, and no difference, battery reset, no difference, have just spoken to Dan, the technician at F-tech, and he thinks its gearbox related due to the fact of having foot on brake affects it, so will have to take a slow drive down to have it plugged in, but having not worked for 8 weeks funds are stretched, so she will be coming off the road if its looking expensive, still at least that will give me a chance to do all the other jobs that are required to bring her up to standard.