Quattroporte Buyers Advice

Maseratiman

As mentioned in a previous thread, I am considering another Maserati purchase, this time a QP.

My budget is sub £20k, and I have seen cars range from 12k upwards. Previous GS had F1 gearbox, which wasn't good in slow traffic etc so I thought a ZF QP would be good (I have more of a family now so 4 door suits).

Is there anything wrong with Duo Select QP's? is the ride that bad (my wife may daily drive) or is it best to spend bit more and get ZF. There seem to be some cracking Duo Selects for not much money.

So... can somebody explain difference between Cambiocorsa and Duo Select, clutch wear mileage and replacement cost and whether its worth bothering with a car that costs £12k with potential clutch change.

I would be interested to hear anybodys thoughts on lower priced QP's and what spec to look out for. I already posted about Sports GTS, so this is about alternatives to that.

Thoughts on hot potato models, colours, mileages etc would be appreciated too as if it turns out to be wrong car i'd like to be able to sell it to get another!!

IanU

Hiya,
I know we've already exchanged a note Maseratiman, and as a brand new owner myself I have little experience to offer either I'm afraid. I do know most will suggest avoiding the duo select for the ZF, but as I said in my note, Nuvola have an example of each that sit either side of your budget. The duo is black with red leather and it looks stunning. Nareman has spent some time and effort on this one attending to some details and upgrading a couple of items - it is seriously worth a look - it is gorgeous. The other black ZF with black leather is also remarkable. If you're in Hertfordshire, the Westfield Centre on the A40 into London is not too far to have a compare and contrast. I've looked at both btw :)
I'm sure someone will put me right on here if I'm talking out of turn.

Cheers
Ian.

Maseratiman

Many thanks Ian - I have poured(?) over both cars online. I am just completing a garage at our house that was to be a wood wokshop, but pretty quickly it is becoming more of a detailers supercar garage with posh floor!

Maseratiman

Oh and can anyone tell me if you get throttle blips on downshift like GS's with Duo Select.

Does the Duo Select sound better than ZF?

rockits

The sound & ride are the same for DS to ZF just the gearboxes being the difference. The DS is basically the 4200/GS CC box but named different for the QP.

I think the ZF suits the QP better. If your Hertfordshire your welcome to have a look & run in my 2007 QP Exec GT ZF.

Maseratiman

Het Rockits - thanks for that and for reminding me I need to change my location as we have moved near to Cambridge. I will pm you after I get back from holiday to see if your about one weekend - i'd appreciate a look over your car.

rockits

The sound & ride are the same for DS to ZF just the gearboxes being the difference. The DS is basically the 4200/GS CC box but named different for the QP.

I think the ZF suits the QP better. If your Hertfordshire your welcome to have a look & run in my 2007 QP Exec GT ZF.

rockits

A 2007 MY onwards car also benefits from 2 year service intervals rather than annual service intervals of earlier cars.

Variators are an issue on QP's. They were done on my car just before I bought it. Make sure they have been done, negotiate it into the deal or bear in mind they may or may not need doing at some point in the future.

rockits

Het Rockits - thanks for that and for reminding me I need to change my location as we have moved near to Cambridge. I will pm you after I get back from holiday to see if your about one weekend - i'd appreciate a look over your car.
Sure, no worries. I live/work mainly just outside Potters Bar, often in our Hitchin office & sometimes in Elsenham nr Stansted as have a customer there. Generally at home weekends though so your more than welcome to have a look/drive.

Got a nice loud (ish) 4200 as well tucked up .

Contigo

Sponsor

DS handles better cos the box is in the back so bettwr weight distribution. A lack of paddles means less driver involvement too and no blips or reg matching like the DS/CC boxes.

Maseratiman

Thanks for that spanner in the works I was nearly settled on the ZF hahahah! So Contigo, with that said is it worth looking at the lower priced low miles DS or avoid?

voicey

My personal opinion is that the ZF is much more suited to the QP but it is a personal choice. I recommend avoiding early cars as they have the first generation of the Florence can-bus architecture - later cars have a few niggles ironed out (the later the better but 2007 onwards give fewer electrical problems in my experience). 2007 also saw the introduction of the later generation of clutch control for DS cars.

Ewan

I liked the DS boxes on my 2005 and 2006 QP's, so don't discount them out of hand. Not great in heavy traffic, but fine the rest of the time. I'd recommend going for a 2006 or newer though, as there were several general upgrades over the early cars.

A ZF car will cost a little more to buy but be cheaper to run - no clutch, and half the service costs. It'll be worth more when you come to sell also. So overall, and given your budget, I'd say you are best off with a ZF. But use your budget and buy a good one.

rockits

Nothing wrong with the DS at all. Same as the CC with the same ads/disads.

I think the CC suits the 4200 & GS better with the QP better suited with the ZF. It depends on how you will use the QP, what you want it for & how you will want to drive it really. Everybody is different.

My QP is more for daily work & not for weekend or fun only work. You won't want a DS if your journey will have regular city or stop/start traffic. The ZF is a proper torque convertor auto with very useful manual control. It is not a manual though.

The DS is a robotised manual just like your old GS and certainly not an auto although it has a token auto mode.

For me I chose the ZF as it suited my needs better than a DS. As I already had the 4200 CC I didn't want another of the same box. Also with 2 year service intervals & no clutch issues the running costs shod be less.

Neither are better or worse cars & both great cars. Just what suits you best really.

Maseratiman

I was looking at 2007 onwards, i suppose you get what you pay for...

Thank you for all the intel everyone, I appreciate it.

I do miss those throttle blips and groans!