GT SatNav Issue

rockits

We could start a little thread drift of useful acronyms. Tech guys always use RTFM a fair bit....also FUBAR is another.

conaero

Forum Owner
OK, issue sorted.

I was trying to plug LONG LAT or decimal coordinates into the antiquated Maserati system that work in DMS (Degrees / Minutes / Seconds)

What you need to do is get your long/lat coordingates then visit here and convert it with the Convert decimal coordinates option:

http://maps.marnoto.com/en/coordinate-converter/

You will then get something like this: 40°36'4.331"N, 8°40'5.423"W

Ignore the last decimal places as the Maserati system does not got to that decimal place so you will end up with this: 40°36'4"N, 8°40'5"W

You can now go armed with this info to your Maserati Sat Nav select "Enter Destination" then select the "Enter CoOrdinates" option.

TBF, you don't need the decimal positions from the DMS address, its close enough without.

Voila! Full postcode accuracy from your Maserati "Boat" navigation system.

CatmanV2

Very good....might be pebkac though no? Is it keyboard & chair or chair & keyboard?!

Must be plenty of car related ones.

Fix It Again Tony - FIAT
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious - LOTUS

I don't think the order really matters :)

ALFA: A load of ******* aggro

C

rockits

I don't think the order matters either...same result & issue either way...a common & frustrating problem but it does create lots of work for us which is a good thing

Contigo

Sponsor
OK, issue sorted.

I was trying to plug LONG LAT or decimal coordinates into the antiquated Maserati system that work in DMS (Degrees / Minutes / Seconds)

What you need to do is get your long/lat coordingates then visit here and convert it with the Convert decimal coordinates option:

http://maps.marnoto.com/en/coordinate-converter/

You will then get something like this: 40°36'4.331"N, 8°40'5.423"W

Ignore the last decimal places as the Maserati system does not got to that decimal place so you will end up with this: 40°36'4"N, 8°40'5"W

You can now go armed with this info to your Maserati Sat Nav select "Enter Destination" then select the "Enter CoOrdinates" option.

TBF, you don't need the decimal positions from the DMS address, its close enough without.

Voila! Full postcode accuracy from your Maserati "Boat" navigation system.

Or the other option to save all that conversion in the first place is do this. For example type into google maps Hotel Best Western Adagio, Avenue du Général de Gaulle, Saumur, France (ahem)

Once located right click the destination (pin) and then select "What's here", this then brings up a little info tab at the bottom of the map as shown below in red.

gmaps.jpg

Click on the hyperlink within this tab where you see the decimal coordinates and it will then on the left hand side of the screen give you the decimal coordinates and the proper GPS (minutes, seconds etc) coordinates as used by most if not all Nav systems.

gmaps2.jpg

Try it and thank me later :D

conaero

Forum Owner
Guide to planning a trip.

Adding GPS locations to the DIRECTORY for easy recall to the NAVIGATOR:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.JPG

SEE PHILS POST #29 TO OBTAIN THE DMS (DEGREES/MINUTES/SECONDS) COORDINATE FORMAT. YOU CANNOT INPUT DECIMAL COORDINATES HERE:

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.JPG

m3mpower

Hi
may i also add if you want to save the coordinates of a place, select curr. loc as shown in picture 4 at the time of being in that place.
this comes handy for example to save the coordinates of Home..
obviously it has to be done when the unit is showing good satellite reception.

IanU

Sorry if this is a stupid question and has already been covered at length elsewhere, but I have an 09 QP V, is there any remote possibility of getting the sat nav to a full postcode spec? (or any postcode for that matter) I'm sort of getting the impression that they don't do one. If I wanted to get the latest map updates, would this include post code functionality or are we talking about a complete upgrade to something else?
2nd question I suppose, is where would I be able to get map updates for my current system?
Thanks
Ian.

conaero

Forum Owner
Sorry if this is a stupid question and has already been covered at length elsewhere, but I have an 09 QP V, is there any remote possibility of getting the sat nav to a full postcode spec? (or any postcode for that matter) I'm sort of getting the impression that they don't do one. If I wanted to get the latest map updates, would this include post code functionality or are we talking about a complete upgrade to something else?
2nd question I suppose, is where would I be able to get map updates for my current system?
Thanks
Ian.

I am fairly confident when I say NO. Using DMS coordinates is the best your going to get.

1. Go to maps.google.co.uk
2. find your location and right click on it
3. a box will pop up with decimal coordinates of the exact location
4. Click on the decimal coordinates and up on the top left you will see the DMS (Days/Minutes/Seconds) coordinates.
5. Use these in your nav, forgetting the seconds decimal place

Voila! You will be within 50 meters of the actual location.

IanU

Thanks Conaero,
I'll give that a go. Does seem a bit ironic that by the time I've got it on Google maps on my phone - I might as well use the phone instead anyway :)

Cheers
Ian.