Front plate came off

MrMickS

The front plate on the Ghibli is, or rather was, held in place by double sided tape. The play was hanging off and came away with a little movement. I'm now left with remnants of sticky tape on the front. Any recommendations on how to remove it before I put more tape on?

outrun

You can buy a can of sticky stuff remover in any hardware/DIY store. Works a treat. Smells great and makes music sound better in the immediate aftermath....:)

Navcorr

Acetone / Nail Varnish remover. But might also remove paint!

What exactly might you be doing with nail varnish remover good sir :)
I used to stink of acetone after the lab and must've smelt like a "lovely boy"!

You're right to be careful with acetone - the lacquer could easily be tarnished. I prefer to soften the adhesive residue with white spirit and then plenty of hot soapy water.

MrMickS

Cheers. Planning to leave some stuff on the front until I get home so I can prove that it just fell off

Will sort out the removal in a few weeks.

JonW

WD40 for me... cover it in the stuff, let it soak, then it will come off much easier...

montravia

Lighter fuel will soften the adhesive but should not the paint. Common tip when airbrushing and removing fine masking.

Scaf

WD40 will get all the sticky off - but it would then be a pity to replace the plate and spoil the looks of the car, keep the plate in the boot with some double sided tape attached "it fell off Officer" lol ........ seriously though I have run my GTS for over 12 months with no front plate with no issues at all.......

Vampyrebat

I always use white spirit, massage it in with a cloth and leave for 5 mins. then it just rolls off with your finger/thumb leaving no residue and no harm to the paint work. And then wash over with soapy water to finish!

Vampyrebat

I also use white spirits for tar removal. If you polish the lower/underside of your bodywork the tar comes off straight away

conaero

Forum Owner
Petrol...comes off quicker than a hookers draws!

You must wax it afterwards as it leave the surface totally open.