Future Investment - Gransport or 3200 GT???

highlander

Ah I should have put a footer on it but I'm still hyper having cycled through the highlands recently without it raining.

Anyway without wishing to give investment advice, I was wondering whether stuffing money under the mattress could be viewed as giving a better (net) return than the options offered by the OP?

Lol for both a "dry run in the highlands" and the mattress suggestion, now I see it I agree. I love Marci but she will never make me money I'm sure.

CatmanV2

Ah I should have put a footer on it but I'm still hyper having cycled through the highlands recently without it raining.

Anyway without wishing to give investment advice, I was wondering whether stuffing money under the mattress could be viewed as giving a better (net) return than the options offered by the OP?

Oh! I was just preparing for a snooze! ;)

C

Navcorr

It was either going to be stuffing the mattress with cash or opening a brothel :)
Could be an opportunity for a group purchase

alfatwo

I'd say the GS in the short term, cause there so easy peasy to drive compered to a full on manual 3200GT..

In the long term though, an 18 year old nice low mile 3200GT is the holy grail!

As an in investment, it would have to go to the 3200..

Dave

bigbob

It was either going to be stuffing the mattress with cash or opening a brothel :)
Could be an opportunity for a group purchase

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Back on message, owning an older car for the experience, the heritage and a chance to drive something very different to today's cars makes a lot of sense but they are not investments. If you are lucky then some nominal price appreciation will protect you from servicing, maintenance, tax, insurance, fuel costs and cost of capital but I struggle - and as a Maserati enthusiast fundamentally disagree - with doing this purely to make money. Top end classic cars have come off a lot in 2016 and 2015. Not sure about 2017 but massive world uncertainty will not help, putting ££ into cars is understandable when other asset classes offer low returns but in times of huge uncertainty people won't first think of buying a twenty year old Italian car. Buy one because you like Maseratis' (do you?) not for any other reason.

PS On that basis I would buy both as they are fundamentally very different even though they look the same to most people.

Andy Marshall

I believe (Hope!) that the Spyders will be the best appreciating in the longer term. Rarer than the coupes, and that whole "last of the classic roof off two seater V8 Maserati" (in my case with manual gearbox) should be an attractive proposition

MrCoop

From experience, although GS values have increased, they are more than offset by regular maintenance and other costs. Unless you are going to tuck it away for the next 10 years with very minimal use.

safrane

Even so...lack of service over 10 years will detract from the final price, just ask any Ferrari dealer.

As a guide my GS has cost around £6k in service and parts over the last three years and is worth aprox £4k more than purchase price with an added 9k on the clocks.

Yes I could have used some low end mechanic to look after it and save a grand or two but that in turn would detract from future sales.

I honestly belive that it will not be for at least another 10 years until any decent price rises come to this era of cars... theres just too many of them and they were never as sought after as an Aston or Ferrari etc.

If you look at the Bora, Ghibli 1 and Merack etc it was only post 2000 that they went to decent levels and those are 60s & 70s cars produces in 1,000s not 10,000.

bigbob

Even so...lack of service over 10 years will detract from the final price, just ask any Ferrari dealer.

As a guide my GS has cost around £6k in service and parts over the last three years and is worth aprox £4k more than purchase price with an added 9k on the clocks.

Yes I could have used some low end mechanic to look after it and save a grand or two but that in turn would detract from future sales.

I honestly belive that it will not be for at least another 10 years until any decent price rises come to this era of cars... theres just too many of them and they were never as sought after as an Aston or Ferrari etc.

If you look at the Bora, Ghibli 1 and Merack etc it was only post 2000 that they went to decent levels and those are 60s & 70s cars produces in 1,000s not 10,000.

Agree with all of that.

Team GCR

Ot 100's even, I think there were less than 600 made?

outrun

I agree too. I wouldn't buy any modern Maserati as an investment unless you are thinking of 15 yrs plus ownership. Even then, I'd look at the MC Victory, GS Spyder, 90th Anniversary Spyder and 2 seater Stradales only. The rest have been made in too large a number globally. For all of those mentioned, less than 100 RHD drive cars made it to the UK (some have been exported etc) so that's low enough to make them become desirable eventually. The other that I think will go up, and has already to some degree, is the Shamal. It's very special and low low numbers. In 15 years, in a market bubble, it could be worth fortunes.

Well, its all crystal ball gazing and only time can tell what will happen. Low production numbers, limited editions, high production numbers - all speculation.

Contigo

Sponsor
Exactly , BMW M3 E30's were made in the bucket load and thousands imported here, still doesn't stop them from selling for £50-100k depending on edition etc... It's all down to cult status plus I think lots of people think wow I longed for one of those as a kid/teen and now I have some money I'll go out and buy one. It's all about emotions with these cars....

rockits

The problem buying MCV, 90th, GS Spider is that they are already at a healthy premium over standard models. Already at a price disadvantage day one.

I still think low mileage decent 3200, 4200 & GS's are the best bet as will be rare in a few years & are much cheaper to buy now. My 4200 is at least at break even at mo so a free car over 3 years. If it can continue to be free for the next 10 years I'll be happy as offsets all costs. If it goes north a bit more then bonus but to get a free Maser for 10 years+ seems like a good deal to me.

Andyk

Will the MCV etc still go up in money....?......If you talking Ferrari limited models I think they would but this is Maserati and history doesn't really show that they will...Does it ?..........To original question it's the GS that seems to be the best bet as there seems to be a bit of room to move up ..... But as with all Maserati it may take time and they don't sell quick....

Saying that I thought the QP GTS would drop much under 25k yet the three on AT are 22995, 22500 which is Ewand stunning one and one has just dropped on at 18k black with cream and black piping and miles are low as well so what do I know.

rockits

I think many Maserati models will increase gently over time as they become less in numbers & the domino effect from Ferrari's & others pinches a bit. A Maser will give someone better value & we know there isn't much out there that offers what a Maser does at the money it does.

Will an MCV move north....yes if others & GS's move up. A natural effect off the back of others. When I started looking 4 years ago for my first Maser I could have bought an MCV for about 40k now they seem to be 50-60k.

It is all about picking the models that will be less in numbers but also people still need to want it. The 3200 is on an edge it seems as of course it is desirable but parts are becoming hard to source & the numbers rraking less sense. However it should still rise gently over time I expect especially AC's.

I wish I had the answers Andy as I wouldn't need to get up every day to work but I don't. Who knows. For me my model is about zero or low deprecation & many Masers can offer this if you buy the right model at the right time. It means I can afford a car I wouldn't or shouldn't be able to afford from my upbringing or education. I'm punching above my weight if you like but have had to do that all my life.

Long may the Maser bargain opportunity live for many sensible enough to benefit from it. If they move North then great if not no worries just enjoy a cracking car with a cracking V8!

safrane

You have to remember that leaving these cars sat around to'appreciate' in value also comes with the cost of recommisioning.

This is fine when it cost a small percentage of the cars value, but results in little or no gain for cars sub £50k

Take Evans MCV (apologies in advance Ewan). It received significant care and attention via Emblem to bring it back to A1 condition and knowing their rates would be over £5k... so MCVs going up £10k in 4 years is only part of the story...you have to be well ahead of the curve and be in it for the long game.

The best the OP can really hope for in a coupe is a level of 'gain' that covers running costs and the added miles...unless you are a wealthy collector who does not need to use the car and parks it under your Picasso.