USB Stick

rockits

Definitely will need to be formatted as FAT32. Most USB sticks are formatted as FAT32 out of the box. You should have that option even on your Mac I think.

GeoffCapes

I'm converting them now. I'll leave the upload bit on iTunes as MP3 so I won't have the problem in the future.

I've found a website that sells CDS of albums I used to have on Cassette so I've been buying a load of them.

Corranga

128k soudns horrid. Avoid at all costs.

My Alfa - 2008 159, so potentially similar system, doesn't care about bitrate. None of my music is as low as 128 (but some is 160, 192, 256, 320, not sure if there is any VBR mind) and the Alfa is happy with it. As you've found out, it doesn't do aac / m4a / apple formats.
It doesn't even seem to care about folder structure.

What it doesn't seem to like is some USB sticks. Some simply never work, no matter what you do with them. I use a Sandisk Fit (tiny thing) which I think is about 8GB, and it's been faultless for 4+ years in there.

Corranga

128k soudns horrid. Avoid at all costs.

My Alfa - 2008 159, so potentially similar system, doesn't care about bitrate. None of my music is as low as 128 (but some is 160, 192, 256, 320, not sure if there is any VBR mind) and the Alfa is happy with it. As you've found out, it doesn't do aac / m4a / apple formats.
It doesn't even seem to care about folder structure.

What it doesn't seem to like is some USB sticks. Some simply never work, no matter what you do with them. I use a Sandisk Fit (tiny thing) which I think is about 8GB, and it's been faultless for 4+ years in there.

mr gill

If the cars can't read above 128kbps that is very disappointing! 128's miss off a lot of frequencies.

Ryandoc

I downloaded some software, about £20 a few months back it'll copy your entire iTunes library and convert it to MP3 and stick it in a new folder you can do what you want with but it leaves your iTunes intact

Out of house just now but will get the bake later. Worked a treat.

JonW

If the cars can't read above 128kbps that is very disappointing! 128's miss off a lot of frequencies.

Am pretty sure I converted all my iTunes stuff at 320, and that worked fine in my Granturismo once I'd got the USB stick formatted properly...