USB Stick

GeoffCapes

I took the USB stick out of my GT to put some new music on it, and now it doesn't recognise the fact that there is a USB stick there. Nothing.

Any ideas?

allandwf

If it's anything like the Alfa one, it is very sensitive to file structure. If they are in folders within folders, or an odd single file it will hang up, and not see it. As C said, format and/or reload.

allandwf

This is what I do with the Alfa, which does it regularly. Put stick in with just a couple of tracks on it, usually then works, then swap for stick with a few albums on, too many and it will not work. Voice command, if you have it, sometimes work if you use "Play Anything". If it is a similar set up to Alfas, unreliable, one then it is pretty well documented on the net.

D Walker

Disk Formatting Utility using songs with a bit rate of so many kilo bites per second!
Think 128 is around radio quality.

CatmanV2

Disk Formatting Utility using songs with a bit rate of so many kilo bites per second!
Think 128 is around radio quality.

FAT32 is the disk format (think of it as the lines on the page). I seem to recall that you have a Mac, in which case it might be doing something odd if you *have* re-formatted it (Like XFS which the NIT is almost certainly not going to like)

Bit rate is how 'precise' the MP3 encoding is. Anything above 128kbs is likely to throw the NIT into a tizzy. iTunes will tell you what it is. We're likely to be going to Margate tomorrow so you can either come over, or we might be able to stop en route

C

GeoffCapes

Right. Refomatted the USB to MS DOS.

Success!

However, the issue I now have is the CD's which I added to iTunes don't show up on. Is this because the Bit Rate is too high?
Any ideas how to change this?

Apple is great for so many things, but some things they do are sooooo frustrating!

GeoffCapes

I'm now thinking it's because Apple saves music files as MP4. Yet the NIT only reads MP3.

I guess I have to save the CDs as an MP rather than MP4

CatmanV2

It is quite possible that that CD's you've added are too high a bit rate, or are not MP3. WHen you say 'added' you mean 'put the CD in and pressed the 'Import' button?

C

GeoffCapes

It is quite possible that that CD's you've added are too high a bit rate, or are not MP3. WHen you say 'added' you mean 'put the CD in and pressed the 'Import' button?

C

When I upload CDs to iTunes they are saved as an MP4 file.

I need to change my import settings and change it to MP3 Encoder. It's currently MP4.

My Mac is now in my office so that will be a job for Monday. I think I have my head round it now though!

Navcorr

You could try a batch conversion of the existing .mp4 to .mp3 first. Would save the hassle of all the re-encoding. Perhaps try a few to start with.