Bleeding brake system.

Leachy

Recently bought my first GTS. I have to say the brake pedal does not feel as responsive as other sports cars I've owned. Is this normal?

Had a service recently and discs and pads all fine.

Is there anything I should know if bleeding the system?
Abs unit issues etc?

Thanks

Contigo

Sponsor
If it is a really hard pedal then it is more than likely the Brake Master Cylinder. Myles car has just had a new one and compared to mine. It was really hard.

alfatwo

You need the diagnostic kit to open the valves on the ABS unit to bled the system properly

Not a job for Sunday afternoon on the driveway!

Dave

Ralph_Manders

You need the diagnostic kit to open the valves on the ABS unit to bled the system properly

Not a job for Sunday afternoon on the driveway!

Dave

Don't fully agree to that, you can bleed the majority of the system the normal way, suggesting not to do the brakepedal pushing but use a vac or pressure bleeder, or my fav way, just let gravity do the job for you. Open the reservoir and one bleednipple and just wait and keep filling up the reservoir. Pending on your rims you do not even have to take of the wheel to do this. The bit of old fluid remaining in the abs unit is negligable and will mix with the fresh fluid once the abs is activated. You can also do the hillbilly abs bleed, and after the initial fluid change, go out and engage the abs as much as possible, than (first let the fluid cool a bit) bleed again, and presto, fresh fluid with the need of SD3, leo etc etc.

Gp79

Yes, DIY changed fluid on every car I've had with abs and had no issues, always felt an improvement with the fresh fluid.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Maserati recommend originally for the 42/GS AGIP BRAKE FLUID DOT 4 PLUS, which has a boiling point of 260 (dry) 180 (wet), this being higher than regular DOT 4, because of the 'PLUS'

Looking at Motul DOT 5.1 Long Life Fully Synthetic Brake Fluid, this is actually higher rated at 270/185, and appears on paper a better option, and is long life if you don't want to flush the system out every year, say every 2 years.

Is it worth however going for say Motul RBF 600 Factory Line Racing Fully Synthetic DOT 4 Brake Fluid, that is higher still at 312/216, but should be changed every year because it absorbs moisture much more readily than the long life DOT 5.1?

Ralph_Manders

In my experience, and that is racing motorbikes from bologna, if you have fresh (up to 1.5 years) brake fluid I ve never seen boiling brake fluid, normally your brakes start to fade way before you reach that point. So 5.1 is perfectly suited unless you have a full race only brake setup, that only works when real hot and doesn't work at all on public roads.