3200 custom X or H pipe

Contigo

Sponsor
Straight: 362.3hp - 366.0ft-lb
H - Pipe: 360.8hp - 370.1ft-lb
X - Pipe: 362.1hp - 369.9ft-lb

Massa in Perth

Interesting and looks like you were right Phil. Either X or H would fit easily enough on the 3200. Removing the centre cat will make the sound differential more pronounced with either option, so I might get my exhaust guy's opinion and get him to quote on both.

Massa in Perth

Ok, just had the car on the hoist at the exhaust guy's workshop. I had (wrongly) assumed I could replace the mid section and leave the first set of cats in place. Wrong. The whole assembly from in front of the first set of cats on past the secondary (centre) cat is one piece, shown if the first diagram Phil posted..

So, if I want the existing factory exhaust to be retrofittable (yes) then I need to replace the whole thing. He's saying 100 cell primary cats and delete the centre completely (replace with H pipe). He says I won't get CELs from the O2 sensors because the first cats are after the sensor.

Also, we don't have MOT or any other annual checks here, so as long as you keep paying the license fee you're fine from an emissions perspective. What say you knowledgeable lot?

Another question - what are the items marked 3 (very blurry) in the diagram on the first page of this thread? Exhaust temp sensors? Any issues with deleting them?

Contigo

Sponsor
Yes you need to cut the centre section off and replace it with straight pipes or X/H. I have a replacement full system ready to go back on if needed in the future including a set of mint back boxes. I'd remove it anyway as it frees up power and gives much better sound.

alfatwo

Yes you need to cut the centre section off and replace it with straight pipes or X/H. I have a replacement full system ready to go back on if needed in the future including a set of mint back boxes. I'd remove it anyway as it frees up power and gives much better sound.

What happens if just change the rear boxes or put on straight through pipes on the rear, except for more noise does it make any difference..

Dave

urquattrogus

I ought to drop in here that I have some nice straight through rear pipes if anyone is interested. Looking for £300 posted. Can email photos etc

They are nicely made and the tips look like stock, with all standard cats my car sounded like this:

[video=youtube;XfTOv5Gh4Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTOv5Gh4Qw[/video]

Massa in Perth

Should get my quote tomorrow for new 100 cell cats centre section H to connect up with rear boxes, all in 2 1/2 inch stainless. Still need to know about whether to replace the exhaust heat sensors (if that's what they are - #3 in the diagram). Any ideas guys?

urquattrogus

Those are exhaust gas temperature senders. The ones with a metal braided outer, and s screw on fitting etc

I Didn't replace mine when I fitted an all new system, but I did replace all 4 Lambda sensors.

I wouldn't see any need to replace them unless they look damaged at the probe tip, or the car is throwing a code that pertains to them.

Massa in Perth

Yeah thanks, thin braided lines. I guess I was wondering whether they need refitting in the new centre section pipes or can I delete them too? Never heard of a fault code from them but that doesn't mean much. Also wondering what removing the precats will do for exhaust temps at those sensors? Hotter?

urquattrogus

Personally I wouldn't remove them. They are your last line of defence for protection, excessively high EGT's on a turbo engine are not good.

Removing the pre cat's should help to ease the temps though, I suppose to a degree that the temp senders help to protect the cat's.

have you had a read of the repair manual? It will explain the operation logic of the EGT sensors etc

Twinturbo

Straight pipes on rear instead of boxes makes more noise, straight pipes on centre makes more noise, maybe less power? Xpipe on centre with rear boxes removed is the best solution in my experience performance wise straight pipes has no scavenging effect which might be marginal on an NA application but a boosted one it does make a difference so keep the merge if u want performance but the sound from a dual system will always be better I have done both by the way

RichTaps

I ought to drop in here that I have some nice straight through rear pipes if anyone is interested. Looking for £300 posted. Can email photos etc

They are nicely made and the tips look like stock, with all standard cats my car sounded like this:

[video=youtube;XfTOv5Gh4Qw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTOv5Gh4Qw[/video]

You have PM :)