Start/Stop Not ready

keith

After two years of the Start/Stop function randomly activating, on Saturday I got the message saying 'Not ready', when I actually went to use it for a change.
Anyone else had this, and the car was warmed up etc.
Thanks in advance.

spkennyuk

Hi Keith. I know a little about the audi stop start function so im guessing its on the same lines.

If the car isnt used very much or short journeys then the car checks the battery level and decides if there is enough charge available to carry out the stop start function.

Cold start mornings for example it can be 15 minutes or so of driving before there is enough charge back in the battery.

On the Ghibli system start stop does not function in sport mode. Only in normal and ice modes.

If your getting a not ready message then it suggests that the battery does not have enough charge in it to complete the start/stop function.

Try putting the battery on a conditioner and see if the message goes away.

It could just be the battery is getting tired.

P R

Ive never had that message i don't think. However there has been plenty of occasions when it hasn't stopped.

MrMickS

I don't have start/stop on my Ghibli. I think its only on the Diesel. The general impression I get is that FCA only fit it if its going to make a difference to some emissions band or other.

I did have it on the Giulietta, which is probably the same system. It was very dependent on outside temperature as well as the state of the battery. Once the outside temp dropped below 5C it pretty much never activated on its own. It also seemed to only look at the start of the journey and not reassess, well not in the 15-20 minutes of my commute. I did find a trick though, which was the result of an embarrassing stall at a set of lights trying to set off in 5th. If you let the engine warm up on the first part of your trip, then turn it off and on at a suitable point, it would function normally for the rest of the journey. I got so that I'd belt along the straight away from our village. Turn the engine off and on at the first set of lights. The start/stop would then work for the trip into the city.

safrane

Can't stand S/S systems...may save a gram or two in emissions but cost you later for a worn out starter motor and fitting.

spkennyuk

Can't stand S/S systems...may save a gram or two in emissions but cost you later for a worn out starter motor and fitting.

Plus the leisure sized battery. Normal battery price around £85 on an A4. Add start stop and bigger battery £170 ish for a battery that still doesnt hold enough charge to use start stop as intended. Heavy duty starter motor as well so replacement cost i would assume is higher than a non start stop car.