VW golf 2.0 GT fSI for sale £1600

iainw

What not a great drivers car anymore...Surely still is ? Yes have read that the GTS is a a belter of a drive.

They are nice looking Andy and I have heard good things about them. I still think they have been stingy on the BHP. Only 340 when even the new Merc A Class AMG is now over 400. Those are looking tempting as a fun daily with 4 reasonable seats. Still working on the Wife who I know likes the Cayman..

D Walker

Goes in for a service today! Used the wife's Audi A1 this morning and it was just the same on mpg and it's not as comfortable. I can't seem to find a decent position where as the golf is like being in dads old comfy arm chair.

D Walker

Few little faults.
OSR Caliper seized - £135 fitted - I dont think so..
New Ignition Switch - £101 - doesn't turn off when turn key off - Engine runs until pull key out - If is not an MOT fail then I will leave it.
Fault with EGR system - Fuel consumption seems okay at 38ish mpg so I wont be getting that looked at - Not when I've seen the exorbitant amounts on the internet..

So as bangernomics go - not bad at all for a 12yr old car...

maverick

Surprised about the calipar Dave does it feel sized ? Ignition switch I thought was strange but just thought it was a vw golf thing , ha ha . How’s it going apart from that ?

D Walker

Surprised about the calipar Dave does it feel sized ? Ignition switch I thought was strange but just thought it was a vw golf thing , ha ha . How’s it going apart from that ?

No problems John - I will have a look at the caliper, can get a new one for £35,will see if I can free it first tho, ignition I am not bothered about, it wont fail MOT for it,
Rest all good, I only want 2 years out of it, done 3000 miles all ready and its like a comfy arm chair to drive. Get it in 6th and just cruise at 70 for my 70 mile round trip.
I'm happy with it so no worries, 12 year old and a brake caliper I can sort, VASTECH do give them a proper going over.
Dave

D Walker

Thread resurrection - So as I'm going to be pi55ing of to Denmark - I wont need the Golf. Its due MOT 31 Jan, and Insurance 31 Dec, so I am thinking I wont re-insure.
Had new discs, pads, service in Sept @ £600, just had a new battery £125 - Bosch S4...

Okay, I will list what I know is wrong with it and some other bits.

1. The radio isnt connected - Mav fitted / had fitted an aftermarket one and it drains the battery and for some reason kept the ignition live until the key was removed - so I disconnected it.
2. NSF wing bubbling on top of wheel arch.
3. Needs new front bumper support bar - son hit a plant pot - not sure it would fail MOT - but I have a new one to fit
4. Needs bit of hose for wiper washer - torn off hitting the plant pot. (Might do this, this weekend)
5.The oil sensor warning came on yesterday - I suspect sensor (£20) is the problem, as oil is fine and plentiful. Would mean dropping oil tho I suspect.
6. On the first service they advised off an EGR fault, I'm getting 36-40mpg on my 70 mile round trip, seen quotes of £1k for EGR repair so I have not bothered. It drives fine.
7. Tyres are all fine
8. Air con is poor but living up here its never bothered me.

So all in, not really too bad for a 13 yr old - If I was not going abroad I would keep it, it runs fine and has no rattles etc on the move. This is as much as I know.

If someone has the need for a bangernomics car - pm me with an offer, will be available from the 21st Dec - If it doesnt go - I'll flea bay it later - yes I know its stronger mot'd, If needs be I may do it and insure for 1 month but then the wife will need to sell it when I'm in Denmark.

If anyone wants pics - let me know.

Dave

D Walker

More importantly - what are you doing with the GS?
Undecided Jon, wife doesn’t want me to get rid, work that one out, but I’m torn, the wife intends to come out every 3 weeks, if I come back every other 3, that may mean 6 weeks between potential driving opportunities, the guys in the storage place have a 10 mile route they can exercise it around for me, but I don’t really want it just sat.

D Walker

Perfect car to use occasionally as long as it’s in a garage.
It’s kept in a very nicely heated shed, around 21 degrees in winter, along with lambo, Porsche etc etc, oh and a couple of pre 80 Fiat 500...amongst others, some exotic and some tat..guy showed me a car 5he other day that 5he owner hasn’t used for 4 years, the guys drive it, but the bill keeps getting paid, Benz cabriolet, 5.0 thing, owner in Australia...

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Undecided Jon, wife doesn’t want me to get rid, work that one out, but I’m torn, the wife intends to come out every 3 weeks, if I come back every other 3, that may mean 6 weeks between potential driving opportunities, the guys in the storage place have a 10 mile route they can exercise it around for me, but I don’t really want it just sat.

What a chore, "oh is it my turn to give the Maser a blast err I mean gentle exercise"

D Walker

What a chore, "oh is it my turn to give the Maser a blast err I mean gentle exercise"
Lol, yeah I know, I trust them tho, the guy that owns the place has indulged his passion for fast cars, Ferrari, Porsche etc, then he got a young new family and grew up, Merc 4 x 4 things now..

D Walker

Well Done Dave and getting closer to your new adventure.
It is indeed Phil, few days “ unplanned” work... I’d thought they would want me gone, quick 2 weeks in the Caribbean and I’m in Denmark, I have been warned by my mate, it’s laid back, don’t come in all guns blazing, oops, he knows, if it needs saying, yep, that’s me....

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I have been warned by my mate, it’s laid back, don’t come in all guns blazing, oops, he knows, if it needs saying, yep, that’s me....

That sounds like racial discrimination, Dave. Trying to stop a Yorkshireman from being blunt, that’s just denying you the right to your cultural heritage. Tell ‘em.