Oil question

Phil H

I recently thought I'd bought 'Shell Helix Ultra' when Euro Car Parts had a deal on, but when Emblem saw it they pointed out that it's actually labelled as 'Shell Helix Ultra I' which I hadn't realised. A quick call to Shell revealed that although both oils are fully compatible and the additives are the same in each case, the 'I' version is based on a slightly lower spec of the base oil.

The 'I' version is now parked until I can delve a bit deeper, but does this ring any bells with anyone?

PH

allandwf

Unless your thrashing the thing, or doing stellar mileage, I'd just put it in, and change it next time.

SJX

I have checked and mine is ultra I. It even has ferrari emblem on it and ‘as used by ferrari’.
I only got it as spare as have normal ultra for topping up, not that ive ever had to in over 5yrs so its probably degraded a little.
If you glean any further info on ultra I please post, although what more can we learn, other than dont be a cheap skate and buy cheap oil.

midlifecrisis

I wouldn't get too fussy on Ultra or Ultra I, as long as it gets regularly changed the engine isn't going blow up because you put Ultra I in. It's more important to have oil in the engine.

conaero

Forum Owner
I subsequently emailed Shell and asked for a more detailed reply, but have yet to hear from them. I'll post again if/when I hear anything.

PH

I did the same and was told this regarding the Shell Helix that the dealer buy in barrels and the 5L ECP sell:

The best way to check the correct grade for your vehicle is via www.Shell.co.uk/lubematch. If the recommendation for your vehicle is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, then there are no technical issues in you using this grade to service your vehicle. For your reference, I’ve also attached a copy of the technical data sheet for Shell Helix Ultra 5W40.

With regards the question on the Main Dealer refusing to allow you to supply your own oil, this is a matter between you and the dealer and therefore not something I can advise on.

Kind regards, Lee

I also asked if the oil ECP sell is genuine and again, got this answer:

Further to your email below, we have run some checks on the batch numbers you provided and the product is genuine.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards, Lee