4200 amp/speakers stopped working??

mrmazzer

Evning gents im new... my 02 4200 speakers have suddenly stopped working. The infotainment system still works, when you put a cd in it says its playing and also the radio says its playing but alas no sound... turning the volume switch says the volume is going up... but nothing
:bored:

safrane

Check to see if there is a short on the door speakers as its a known fault.

However if you have the Auditorium Amp behind the battery they can fail, however you can bypass it by disconnecting the leads and linking it back to the hifi.

Saigon

Hi mrmazzer, I had exactly the same problem on my 4200, and as suggested above it was a short on one of the door speakers. It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the securing screws and drop the speaker out, as soon as I did this the sound came back on again. The short circuit on the wiring connection to the speaker was very apparent, and easily rectified with some good insulation tape. There is also a fuse not mentioned in the handbook and it will kill the sound if open circuit. It is a 10 Amp fuse fitted in the back of the NIT unit itself. But, learn by my mistake, and go for the easy speaker option first, remove the speakers and inspect the connections. At least now I know how to remove the NIT unit, but that was unnecessary, it was the speaker short circuit !! Cheers.

mrmazzer

well its intermittent as it randomly came back and went twice while driving yesterday so i would assume it is the speaker short. which doors and speakers where your problem on saigon?

thanks Gentlemen i shall take a look!

by the way i have the bluapunkt CD changer in the back passenger side of the boot. is this the auditorium?

conaero

Forum Owner
Check the cables where they run from the body to the door on the drivers side....you can only bend them so many times and they will break.

Saigon

well its intermittent as it randomly came back and went twice while driving yesterday so i would assume it is the speaker short. which doors and speakers where your problem on saigon?

thanks Gentlemen i shall take a look!

by the way i have the bluapunkt CD changer in the back passenger side of the boot. is this the auditorium?

The problem was with the drivers side, door mounted large speaker. But it literally only takes a couple of minutes to drop the speaker out, so if its not the drivers side then just a couple of extra minutes to check the passenger side. Intermittent sound definitely sounds like an intermittent short circuit, it should be easy to see the wires shorting.