kenya pics

highlander

has been a pretty miserable summer, and i don't just mean the traditional scottish weather! got Marci back 2 days before putting her into hibernation after her breaking down mid July, gearbox now replaced but she has now developed weird ECU problems and with the war chest being empty because of the gearbox this fix will have to wait till next year :( so we really needed a good holiday to make up for the miserable summer, and thankfully kenya did not disappoint. this was the best beach/safari we have had in the 10 years we have been going.
we visited Ngutuni private reserve in north Tsavo because we went there 10 years ago for our honeymoon. the difference was stark. 10 years ago this was quite lush with large herds of grazers supporting the 3 big cats, not so now, it is largely a dust bowl and grazers only seen in very small groups - a sad indicator of global warming maybe? also went to Masai Mara on a fly safari, seen just about everything except rhino which have moved to the north of the reserve but was not too fussed with not seeing them given the cats are my prime targets. ran into jonathan scott of big cat diary fame whilst photographing 5 male cheetahs, he was over filming for the new series next spring, we got to see an exclusive preview on his laptop of the intro/advert and it looks the biz!
anyway, a few of my fav pics in no particular order and if interested, a few more on the link. https://hipflask.smugmug.com/Holidays/Kenya-2017-safari/

DSC00943-2.jpg

DSC02429-2.jpg

DSC02464-2.jpg

DSC02487-2.jpg

DSC02599-3.jpg

DSC02677-2.jpg

DSC02818-2.jpg

DSC02941-2.jpg

DSC02959-2.jpg

bigbob

Great photos. I have not been to Kenya for a while but my recollection is that the weather can vary a lot season to season so hard to read into that.

We were in a couple of the small tented camps in the Okavango Delta in Botswana last year. That is something else if you get the chance with a good amount of game still and the ability to get close on safari and in camp. Mind with the photos you have posted it does not look like you had any problems!

The highlight for us was seeing a pack of wild dogs with pups two days running.

highlander

Great photos. I have not been to Kenya for a while but my recollection is that the weather can vary a lot season to season so hard to read into that.

We were in a couple of the small tented camps in the Okavango Delta in Botswana last year. That is something else if you get the chance with a good amount of game still and the ability to get close on safari and in camp. Mind with the photos you have posted it does not look like you had any problems!

The highlight for us was seeing a pack of wild dogs with pups two days running.

Cheers. Our budget does not stretch to the delta, wish it did, I would love to have seen the hunting dogs. One of the benefits of the Mara is that you can go off road to get close, of course having a big mutha f'kn lens helps too! ;)
Really good pictures, what equipment are you using

To save changing lens' in the field I use two Sony alpha 77s, one with the big high speed Minolta 300mm 2.8 on it and the other with a sigma 17/70 2.8. For sure, canikon handle noise and low light better but I like the ergonomics of the Sony.

highlander

Stunning shots, better pictures than mine from 99 but then I used point and shoot 35mm film camera...

99 a really, really nice machine, up there with the best, I just can't afford 1.5k to change one of the 77s for the benefits of full frame much as I'd like to. Yup, like you, I started with with film decades ago so even all these years later, I am still struggling with the changeover. Although digital is instant and that is good, there is a bit of me misses the excitement of seeing what the postie brings back, and let's not forget the embarrassment of finding "no charge" stickers on some of them! ;)

bigbob

Cheers. Our budget does not stretch to the delta, wish it did, I would love to have seen the hunting dogs. One of the benefits of the Mara is that you can go off road to get close, of course having a big mutha f'kn lens helps too! ;)

I know what you mean but this was a special occasion. Previous trips to Kenya and Tanzania were a tad more reasonable. These holidays are the most levelling and mellow experiences especially with the communal in camp dining which I had not experienced before. Mind most of the fellow travellers were German or Dutch and - in perfect English as is the way - only wanted to talk about Brexit!

Wack61

I know what you mean but this was a special occasion. Previous trips to Kenya and Tanzania were a tad more reasonable. These holidays are the most levelling and mellow experiences especially with the communal in camp dining which I had not experienced before. Mind most of the fellow travellers were German or Dutch and - in perfect English as is the way - only wanted to talk about Brexit!

It does make you realise how lucky (lazy) we are to be born English when travelling abroad, in Italy last month all the tourist signs were in English and Italian , I walked up to a pay and display car park machine, some Russians were struggling with it so I explained and they understood English , in the Netherlands last year they start talking then realise you don't understand a word so seamlessly switch to English

Wattie

What fabulous pictures...love the leopards under the tree!
Thanks for sharing
Cheers Wattie

bigbob

It does make you realise how lucky (lazy) we are to be born English when travelling abroad, in Italy last month all the tourist signs were in English and Italian , I walked up to a pay and display car park machine, some Russians were struggling with it so I explained and they understood English , in the Netherlands last year they start talking then realise you don't understand a word so seamlessly switch to English

It does help, mind we are not always popular - I was in Zimbabwe recently and entry visas (all paid in hard cash in their official currency, the US$) were more for Brits than other westerners.

highlander

Thanks! My son (12) and I took about 2,000 photos in 3 weeks, and printed 16 of them.

View attachment 45661

Lol, yes digital is so easy at the time of shooting but the pain comes later trying to trim all the shots down! A nice set you have there, I'm sure they look good printed off together. TBH, the only ones I'll probably print are the head on zebra, I love the simplicity of the shot, and maybe one of the lion cub shots I've still to process.

Scaf

Truly amazing photographs and what a magical location - one day I would love to make a trip like that !