Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravel drive woes

My 4200 spins the wheels when reversing on my gravel drive. Ive tried using auto, and ice mode, and she still digs holes in it no matter how gently I prod the throttle.

First gear also spins the wheels when gently accelerating, so I pull away in 2nd which is marginally better.

Its normal 3/4" limestone gravel, level and not too deep, so nothing wrong with the drive.

Any ideas?
    Andrew

Light travels faster than sound,That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    Microplas Mistral
    EB50
    Rochdale GT
    Raleigh Runabout, Metallic red

New driveway in a solid material or get a manual box!!
    Past Italian Cars

Fiat Uno Turbo (mk1) Red
    Fiat Barchetta (mk 1) Red
    Alfa Romeo 75 (T-Spark LE) Met Black
    Alfa Romeo 156 ( 2000) Silver
    Lancia Montecarlo Coupe (mk 1) Champagne Gold
    Lancia Montecarlo Spyder (mk1) Red

Sounds like your throttle is too aggressive or the PIS point on the clutch needs adjustment.

Try a throttle reset first.
    Peter
    06 Gransport LE - Nero Carbonio & Black
    05 4200 CC face lift - Gerigio Alfieri & Tan - Sold; Now lives in France
    03 4200 CC revised - Sebring Blue & Gray - Sold; Now regularly used as a TV car.

Quote Originally Posted by daglocks View Post
    My 4200 spins the wheels when reversing on my gravel drive. Ive tried using auto, and ice mode, and she still digs holes in it no matter how gently I prod the throttle.

First gear also spins the wheels when gently accelerating, so I pull away in 2nd which is marginally better.

Its normal 3/4" limestone gravel, level and not too deep, so nothing wrong with the drive.

Any ideas?
    It's pretty normal I had the same.

The initial bit of throttle will spin the wheels. You just need to keep your foot gently pressed on the throttle, the wheels will stop spinning and you will move fine.

If you keep dabbing the throttle you will pepper whatever is behind you with stones!

Current: Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Mazda MX5 mk1 (track days)

Previous: Maserati Coupe 4200 (2004) Sebring Blu

Not had a problem with my 4200 or GranTurismo. You must have the wrong sort of gravel.
    2011 GranTurismo GTS Auto

Triangulated gravel binds together better giving a more solid base than rounder gravel.

Cockermouth (no laughing at the back) West Cumbria.
    There are bigger thing's to worry about, I mean ffs...
    Last edited by Lozzer; 13-10-2017 at 18:26 PM. Reason: Misconstrued comment

Down here in New Zealand there is loads of gravel and I have never had an issue.
    Get someone to video your problem and post up.
    Technician for Wanganui Motors Ford and Mazda.
    Technician for Fredco Automasters Auckland.
    Technician for Auckland Maserati and Lotus in New Zealand March 2015 to July 2016.
    On my second 4200 cambio corsa brought over to NZ.
    Current fleet:
    Maserati 4200 cambio corsa MY 2004.
    Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT 3.2 Auto work and plaything.
    1977 Daimler Sovereign XJC 4.2 one of only 2 in New Zealand.
    1976 Mini Clubman 1275 on the road project.
    1994 Mini Cooper on the road for www.porkpie,co.nz
    2010 BMW G450X Enduro Bike for exercise
    1976 Kawasaki Z1000.
    1973 Raleigh Chopper 3 Speed in orange.

Years ago I was invited by Porsche to the launch of the, then new, 993. It took place at Le Manoir Quat'Saisons - Raymond Blanc's place in Oxfordshire. The cars were lined up in a crescent shape in front of the house/hotel, while we guests dined on a fabulous Michelin starred lunch. Yum.

Anyway, when we come out and saw the cars, I'm allocated the one in the middle, bang in front of the open double doors.

Once I'm in, the instructor says "Sir, you are the first off, and everyone is watching. Whatever you do, don't stall it."

Obviously I'm not used to the car, the peddles, the clutch bite point etc. Leaving me little choice but to dial in a few more revs than perhaps necessary.

Net result? A lot of Cotswold gravel sharply shot into the hotel entrance and us leaving in a dramatic cloud of dust.

So, to the OP, it's not just your car and your gravel. It happens.
    Ewan

Current Maserati - QP Sport GTS, GranSport MC Victory, GranTurismo-S MC Sport Line
    Previous Maserati - Khamsin, Shamal, Ghibli II, Ghibli Cup (x2), QP IV Evo (x3), 3200 (x2), 4200 Spyder (x2), QP V (x3)

I have deep gravel and the same problem. It seems odd that yours only does it reverse though. You can get concrete blocks that are mostly large holes to put just underneath the surface that should help. I've not tried this myself though.
    Other ideas I've had were to put nylon netting just under the surface or to put small piles of cement dust at regular intervals and water it down under the surface. All untried as yet. What you don't want to do is to markedly affect the permeability of the gravel.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast