P Zero Corsa - Stradale

Strad

Pirelli have had their fair share of stick recently and some are suggesting that they will be running their Stradales on Michelin rubber. I won't.......
Credit where credit is due, Pirelli UK have totally exceeded expectations.

The car is just over a year old (though DOT number shows tyres were 2014) but my rears were already looking perished on the outside walls so I emailed Pirelli. They sent out an engineer who said they'd replace them and subsequently called to say they would replace all 4 tyres at their cost.
Yesterday I had them fitted and am feeling massively loyal to Pirelli again.

Mark.
p.s. Photo attached - note the mud from parking at the Goodwood Revival!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 114

conaero

Forum Owner
I’ve had handling issues with my Strad ever since I’ve had it.

Many told me it was the tyres and maybe it still is but I have found that both upper front wishbone bushes are completely shot and they are moving fore and aft when you load it.

The Pirelli Cora’s rears were new when I bought it 2k miles ago. I had the wheels off this weekend and the rears are down to 4mm already. TBF I don’t have issues with the rears. They grip well enough and give just the right amount of slip.

I have never had any experience of Michelin’s, Goodyear Eagle F1’s have always been my tyre of choice but you can’t get fitment on the Strads or GTS.

Whilst away on the Forum Spain trip recently many owners were running Michelin’s so I took a closer look. The result was very encouraging. The curb protection was excellent but what was very noticeable is the sticky ness of the compound.

I for one will be ditching the Pirelli’s for Michelin’s but it will be on a trial basis.

allandwf

I've been looking for replacements for the AC, and as it originally came with sticky semi slick P Zero Corsas, I'm seriously considering a set of P zero trofeos. Although my other Italians are on Michelin Pilots I think I will stick with Pirelli for the AC.

allandwf

Allan, put the Eagle F1’s on they are epic on that chassis.
I used to run them on my GTVs, they are a great tyre old style and new. I want to go the extra sticky route just out of curiosity for the AC though. I tend not to run her in snow or rain anymore lol.

azapa

I think the corsas are great when really warm. I don't think the British climate and quick blasts in it ever get them near that temperature. My car is spooky on winter blasts. But on rails in the summer or longer spring time runs.

Conaero: I'm concerned for your problem. Hard to imagine how this might happen on a 6 year old car!? What handling maladies did/do you feel and in what circumstances?

Strad

I definitely felt that there was something about the handling on the old set so it will be interesting to see how these new ones behave. The rubber looks really soft so am expecting an improvement. It didn't do anything too serious just the odd disconcerting hop and a skip, typically first thing (Azapa's point) but also more twitch over painted road lines than I had had with previous cars.

What do we reckon on the cracking tyre walls?? The Pirelli engineer said tyre dressings were a no no but I can't see that this could be the cause after one year's use.

M.

Contigo

Sponsor
Conaero sounds like you have the same issue as me. It's more noticeable on heavy acceleration during the gear change the whole front of the car is unsettled.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Conaero sounds like you have the same issue as me. It's more noticeable on heavy acceleration during the gear change the whole front of the car is unsettled.

That's not an alignment thing, Phil? The snappy gear change (are you on GTO software yet..?) relies on the car being pretty well set-up to avoid much of a feeling of wriggle from one end or the other when you're changing hard with the power down.

w5pwr

I definitely felt that there was something about the handling on the old set so it will be interesting to see how these new ones behave. The rubber looks really soft so am expecting an improvement. It didn't do anything too serious just the odd disconcerting hop and a skip, typically first thing (Azapa's point) but also more twitch over painted road lines than I had had with previous cars.

What do we reckon on the cracking tyre walls?? The Pirelli engineer said tyre dressings were a no no but I can't see that this could be the cause after one year's use.

M.

Very interesting.....

I mentioned on another post how I thought the handling appeared to be transformed when I put the winter tyres and wheels on the car?

Well done for spotting it and getting the tyres changed!

outrun

I've said it once or twice before (sic), but the Pirellis just don't like temperature below 10 and any form of dampness or rain. In warm, dry conditions they are fine. In the others they are a little unsettling and probably a bit dangerous in the wrong/inexperienced hands.

Michelins have transformed my car. It's more direct and doesn't skip around in the wet. I see no reason to persevere with Pirelli if they just don't do the job well.

bigbob

I've said it once or twice before (sic), but the Pirellis just don't like temperature below 10 and any form of dampness or rain. In warm, dry conditions they are fine. In the others they are a little unsettling and probably a bit dangerous in the wrong/inexperienced hands.

Michelins have transformed my car. It's more direct and doesn't skip around in the wet. I see no reason to persevere with Pirelli if they just don't do the job well.

+1 regarding Pirelli albeit in the winter I put Sotto Zeros on and they do the job.

For the summer I run Continental Sport Contact 3 and am well impressed. I am sure that the Michelin's are great too but do cost a bit more. On both my Audis' I have run the PS4 and have not been impressed with wear (strange for Michelin) but I have not tried the Super Sports that Outrun is referring to.

Contigo

Sponsor
That's not an alignment thing, Phil? The snappy gear change (are you on GTO software yet..?) relies on the car being pretty well set-up to avoid much of a feeling of wriggle from one end or the other when you're changing hard with the power down.

Alignment has been done. It's got to be bush wear. I see Voicey tomorrow so he's going to check it all whilst servicing the beast.

GeoffCapes

The Pirelli's on my GTS will be binned shortly. And Michelins will be going on. As Athol said, other that warm dry roads, Pirelli's are left, how shall we say, "wanting".

Ebenezer

In Spain my PZeros were like glue going hard round the twisties. However the temperature was warm and the surface excellent

Eb

Mr.Cambio

Having a pair of new corsas, i can say they handle much better than the Rossos. But keep in mind that tyres here are always warm, so no slipping, no water issues. etc.
As for how long they will last, i do not care. If you own a sportscar, you admit that there is no logical explanaiton regarding cost. I would buy a Yaris instead.

conaero

Forum Owner

Fair comment but my handling issues turned out to be the upper wishbone inner bushes, sh@gged!

Ill fix that first then revisit these d@mn tyres.

CLRut

Morning all

About to press the button on winter tyres, and have selected Michelin Alpin 4's; whilst the manual suggests 285/35/20 on the rear and 245/35/20 on the front, it also comments that you can equally select winters in the same sizes as the summer tyres - namely 295/35/20 and 255/35/20.

Any thoughts from anyone appreciated; has anyone gone with the 295/255 option in winter and found any issues (I can't think why to be honest given such a small difference).

Thanks in advance

Craig.