Track Day. Should I?

GeoffCapes

Lydden Hill have a track day coming up (not the rally cross circuit), in a couple of weeks for £100 and it's 20 mins from me.

It doesn't strike me as the most exciting of tracks, however, I'm thinking now would be the best time to break my track day (Brooklands excluded) duck as:-

A) The rear tyres on my GTS will need replacing soon, and there's not point shredding new tyres.
B) The bonnet, wings, bumper and side road rash get a respray when I'm ready (soon).
C) It will get detailed after the respray.

The obvious down sides are the fairly unexciting track, and I've also heard that they practically let you race round there, and I don't want to be caught us in someone else's mis-hap.
Are there any other things I should consider?

Contigo

Sponsor
Do it mate, despite being heavy and big the GTS has always impressed me on track. Even Llandow being a small and twisty circuit it made it round there pretty well and had the smaller stull like Elise's on the straights. Where else can you learn what the car can do properly these days without losing your license or killing someone.

The only other thing to consider is noise levels, you won't want to drive the car out of SPORT mode on track as the traction will really hold you back, if you open the valves you are into 120dB territory and they will black flag you!!!!

Don't get goaded into a race, this is where it all ends in tears, if someone is faster than you then indicate and let them past at the next safest opportunity.

conaero

Forum Owner
Yep, do it but you will wear the shoulders off the fronts too, where are they at life wise?

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep, do it but you will wear the shoulders off the fronts too, where are they at life wise?

Should be fine, I have loads left in my fronts from last Octobers session. I can't see him driving it as hard as we did at Llandow.

GeoffCapes

Do it mate, despite being heavy and big the GTS has always impressed me on track. Even Llandow being a small and twisty circuit it made it round there pretty well and had the smaller stull like Elise's on the straights. Where else can you learn what the car can do properly these days without losing your license or killing someone.

The only other thing to consider is noise levels, you won't want to drive the car out of SPORT mode on track as the traction will really hold you back, if you open the valves you are into 120dB territory and they will black flag you!!!!

Don't get goaded into a race, this is where it all ends in tears, if someone is faster than you then indicate and let them past at the next safest opportunity.

I'll check out the noise limits. They had World Rally Cross there a couple of months ago so I doubt noise would be an issue.

namaste

If you get under the rear of the car and find the solenoid that controls the valves (sits on top off the rear cross member apparently), you could pull the pipes off and join them together. This should provide vacuum to the valves all the time closing them. I think.

Gp79

Is that a static or drive by 100db noise limit?

If drive by you would probably be fine.

P R

What about your brakes? My experience of Maserati brakes isn't good and that's just on the road...

Strad

That'll be the static with the drive-by in the high-80's. Would think these cars will fail most noise tests but I too want to get on track to really understand the handling. Too heavy to use seriously on track days but should be loads of fun for an exploratory drive.
It's probably going to have to be an unrestricted day at Silverstone or somewhere like that - these days are priced a little differently though....

Conaero is right about the edges of the fronts being where you'll notice most of the wear.

Brake wear is up to how hard you hammer them into the corners. The attached photo is what a friend did to his heavy E63........
IMG_1009.jpg

M.

Gp79

That'll be the static with the drive-by in the high-80's. Would think these cars will fail most noise tests but I too want to get on track to really understand the handling. Too heavy to use seriously on track days but should be loads of fun for an exploratory drive.
It's probably going to have to be an unrestricted day at Silverstone or somewhere like that - these days are priced a little differently though....

Conaero is right about the edges of the fronts being where you'll notice most of the wear.

Brake wear is up to how hard you hammer them into the corners. The attached photo is what a friend did to his heavy E63........
View attachment 45769

M.

Hope the E63 was a company car!!

Wouldn't take the GS anywhere near a track, don't get me wrong I'd love to but I would have to be able to stomach losing the value of the car, so something worth 5k in my world.

Strad

It's the wrong car for the track in that way (definitely in my world too) and also it's so heavy, the only things it would eat on track are its brakes and tyres!
That said I do believe you get far more out of your road car once you've been on track and explored (in a safe / legal environment) what it can do and more importantly where your limits are. It will probably never happen but.....

The E63 was fine. He jumped back in and got it rolling to get air through the brakes / put the fire out. The flames were quite big actually but just brake dust and he didn't even need to change the pads.

M.

M.

Strad

Great picture Mike! Wet track days = slower cars = less wear & tear but just as much fun.

Ebenezer

Loved taking my QP round Llandow! It's gotta be done. Apart from the wilds of Spain (allegedly) where else are you going to spank your car like that?
Eb