Multi Car Insurance

GeoffCapes

It's just occurred to me that my Maser insurance is up for renewal this month (27th) and my Merc is up on 24th of November.

My renewal price came in at £780 with A Plan. Which is an increase!

However, if I add my Maser to the existing policy with Admiral the price is £469 to 1st August next year.
And if I add my Merc it's only £221.

Which quite frankly is a bargain! Pro Rating the policy would mean that my renewal is actually £626 but it's still a **** sight cheaper than £780. And I only have 1 year NCB as well on it.
The Merc pro rated works out to only £331 (currently paying nearly £700).

Basically does this mean insurance companies are finally coming round to the fact that you get a cheaper premium as you cannot drive all of your cars at the same time?

Well happy with that!

Was shopping around last week also Mark.
I need to go into it in more detail to better understand what I'm being offered, before committing.
It didn't strike me as equitable that with some insurers, you can only earn increasing NCB on one car, when, as you say, you can only drive one car at any one time. It's the driver that earns the NCB, not the cars driven.
Similarly, previous NCB with a preceeding insurer can only be applied to one car in a multi car policy. Insurers talk about increasing discounts, for each car insured. I'm not convinced that there aren't better offers.
I tend to view insurers as experts at bait and switch. I probably sound overly cynical.
However, if I find a policy which seems to represent good value, I will of course put details
up here.

Last edited:

GeoffCapes

Was shopping around last week also Mark.
I need to go into it in more detail to better understand what I'm being offered, before committing.
It didn't strike me as equitable that with some insurers, you can only earn increasing NCB on one car, when, as you say, you can only drive one car at any one time. It's the driver that earns the NCB, not the cars driven.
Similarly, previous NCB with a preceeding insurer can only be applied to one car in a multi car policy. Insurers talk about increasing discounts, for each car insured. I'm not convinced that there aren't better offers.
I tend to view insurers as experts at bait and switch. I probably sound overly cynical.
However, if I find a policy which seems to represent good value, I will of course put details
up here.

Hadn't thought about that. As my Merc has 10 years ncb, Alex's ML (which is the main car on the Admiral policy) has 0 ncb, and my Maser will have 1 year ncb.
Wonder how that will work come renewal time.?

outrun

I use Admiral and the are generally good although you do get the occasional nonsense such as when I changed my Cooper S to the 530d and they wanted £600 extra which is insane. I did a comparison using comparethemeerkat and got a quote for £320 which motivated then to reduce the change cost to £350. Every year, I run single quote comparisons, add them up and then challenge their multicar renewal price. They always comes down by hundreds of pounds. Right now I have 4 cars on there - Stradale, 530d, Volvo XC60 and my old Freelender which I was for carting rubbish about and the total is about £1300. I have 20yrs, 19yrs, 19yrs and 16yrs of no claims across them though which helps! It's certainly cheaper and more easy to administer than 4 separate policies.

GeoffCapes

Just done my renewal and it got even cheaper.

With discounts its £278 for the Maser and £226 for the Merc. Bargain!