1977 Merak SS at Aston Workshops

Belfry

I would have thought it would be obvious if trying to pull away in 3rd? It's not an overly torquey engine.

I thought that the guy driving during the test drive was “luggingâ€the car a bit. “They come like this from the factoryâ€.
I've never driven, or even sat in, a Merak before. However, I stalled 3 Times trying to get out of the garage forecourt! After a couple of miles I turned around and managed to get the car back to the dealer with quite a lots of clutch smoke involved.

Ewan

I trust a full gearbox rebuild and a new clutch were agreed within your purchasing price, so that the driving experience is back to, as the salesman said "how they left the factory"!?! Obviously, at their asking price, you'll need it to be better than when it left the factory, but being able to get first instead of third would at least be a nice start!

Does this issue possibly help to explain why this particular car has been for sale for years, with no takers, during the biggest ever market for classics?

Dont be afraid to walk away from this deal if they don't/won't/can't make the car work properly. However lovely it is, at this kind of price (virtually a record for a Merak) it needs to be perfect, not a project.

allandwf

I thought that the guy driving during the test drive was “lugging”the car a bit. “They come like this from the factory”.
I’ve never driven, or even sat in, a Merak before. However, I stalled 3 Times trying to get out of the garage forecourt! After a couple of miles I turned around and managed to get the car back to the dealer with quite a lots of clutch smoke involved.

I would agree with your thoughts then, stuck in third. Hopefully just a an adjustment issue. :)

Belfry

I'm with you there, Merak Memories..

Well the car is finally here... and wonderful analogue fun.

They ended up changing the long gear selector cable and the car is driving beautifully.

Thank you to everyone here for your help and advice.