GT handling

jamesbilluk

Many thanks guys, Will get those ordered, should be better than it is at the moment, seems to be running Toyo proxes on the front, and p zeros on the rear..

Moz1000

I used Camskill for the rears with MGT fitment (which I've never really understood what this means). Then used a local crew to fit.
They don't seem to have the fronts. But a google search brings up a few suppliers.
Moz

bigbob

I used Camskill for the rears with MGT fitment (which I've never really understood what this means). Then used a local crew to fit.
They don't seem to have the fronts. But a google search brings up a few suppliers.
Moz

The SC5 MGT tyre is for the QP/Ghibli I think. Continental do not make a specific homologated tyre for the GranTurismo but due to many people not liking the P Zero, a few years ago Maserati started listing the SC3 as a second approved tyre in 20” size.

jamesbilluk

All ordered now, I found that my local F1 auto centre do the sport Contact 3's for the front and the rear, fitting and alignment on Sunday.

RW3200

All ordered now, I found that my local F1 auto centre do the sport Contact 3's for the front and the rear, fitting and alignment on Sunday.

When you get the tyres off check for uneven wear (as mentioned) and any splitting around the tread and tyre shoulders. It will give you an idea of what the cause is. The suspension set up is easily knocked out of line, the front being more susceptible, and will indicate alignment issues or worn suspension parts. Any cracking or splitting could indicate either over inflation or cold tearing. The Pirelli's are most prone to this in the UK as they seem to have a narrower, more focused, operating temperature band. Tyres tend to harden over time and when put through numerous high temp cycles. Pirelli seem to give exceptional grip initially but can deteriorate dramatically after considerably less heat cycles than other brands. They are fantastic summer tyres but tend to struggle in cold and wet conditions. The Conti's should be more consistent in our climate and last longer.
To get the best out of the new tyres make sure you take them up to temp gradually, especially the first 100miles. Avoid blitzing them from cold to avoid tearing. Keep on top of your pressures, you may find you need to adjust slightly for different brands. If you drive all year round you may find dropping 2 or 3psi in the hotter summer months gives a better feel as it will allow for increased heat in the tyre.
Can't beat fresh rubber, enjoy it.

R

G

Guest 1678

When you get the tyres off check for uneven wear (as mentioned) and any splitting around the tread and tyre shoulders. It will give you an idea of what the cause is. The suspension set up is easily knocked out of line, the front being more susceptible, and will indicate alignment issues or worn suspension parts. Any cracking or splitting could indicate either over inflation or cold tearing. The Pirelli's are most prone to this in the UK as they seem to have a narrower, more focused, operating temperature band. Tyres tend to harden over time and when put through numerous high temp cycles. Pirelli seem to give exceptional grip initially but can deteriorate dramatically after considerably less heat cycles than other brands. They are fantastic summer tyres but tend to struggle in cold and wet conditions. The Conti's should be more consistent in our climate and last longer.
To get the best out of the new tyres make sure you take them up to temp gradually, especially the first 100miles. Avoid blitzing them from cold to avoid tearing. Keep on top of your pressures, you may find you need to adjust slightly for different brands. If you drive all year round you may find dropping 2 or 3psi in the hotter summer months gives a better feel as it will allow for increased heat in the tyre.
Can't beat fresh rubber, enjoy it.

R

Brilliant synopsis

Strad

I know everyone is hammering Pirelli at the moment but as some of you may have read, they replaced all four of my tyres due to some cracking on the rear side walls. I’m about 200 miles into the new set and have to say that they feel so much better than the old tyres.
Interestingly these were 2014 tyres on a 2016 car so worth checking the DOT on your tyres (not that 3 yrs is too old) but anyway the new ones are noticeably softer rubber and definitely inspire confidence.

I’ve been off this week so driving lots in the warm dry weather we’ve had, there’s still the odd hop and a skip so I really can’t see that’s all the tyres and put it down to the car itself which is why I think I love it more every time I drive it!

An exciting edgy Italian sports car that gives you the occasional unexpected extra heartbeat is exactly what I hoped I was signing up for..........

Mark.

Strad

I know everyone is hammering Pirelli at the moment but as some of you may have read, they replaced all four of my tyres due to some cracking on the rear side walls. I'm about 200 miles into the new set and have to say that they feel so much better than the old tyres.
Interestingly these were 2014 tyres on a 2016 car so worth checking the DOT on your tyres (not that 3 yrs is too old) but anyway the new ones are noticeably softer rubber and definitely inspire confidence.

I've been off this week so driving lots in the warm dry weather we've had, there's still the odd hop and a skip so I really can't see that's all the tyres and put it down to the car itself which is why I think I love it more every time I drive it!

An exciting edgy Italian sports car that gives you the occasional unexpected extra heartbeat is exactly what I hoped I was signing up for..........

Mark.

Ewan

The Pirelli are great in the warm and dry. Some people don't like them in the cold though. I'm just about to fit Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tyres to my GT-S for the next few months - they're designed for temps of 12C and below. Summer tyres can go back on in March.

azapa

A few comments on handling on the strad a year in:

When I picked her up I didn't check tyre pressures before the 200 mile drive home, stupid, and it felt felt strange above 210KM/h, wobbly, vague. I since corrected that and the MD did a full balance. The other weekend I stretched her legs a little and 270Km/h seemed quite comfortable. Spooky fast, but comfortable.

Where she never feels good: overtaking on smaller roads where the high part is in the centre (am I explaining this correctly? a normal road where the water runs off to the left and right). Downshifting to second or third, crossing the crown of the road, and everything feels like a combination of traction loss and vagueness. Not too reassuring - but, I guess that combination would upset quite a few similar cars?

Unrelated, and I have mentioned before, but above 220KM/h there is a strange wind buffeting noise from the rear right window area. Not too loud, but quite hard to explain.

Contigo

Sponsor
Spot on with a very cambered road they are lethal, you can feel the steering wheel almost like torque steer in a FWD car. Unless the surface is glass smooth it's not a really pleasant drive.

jamesbilluk

Hi guys

Got the contis fitted today, does seem much better! They didn’t have the alignment information in the computer though.
Just wondering where people would recommend to take it who would have the info.

Regards

James

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Hi all

I've started to notice, that on bumpy surfaces, or pot holes, the rear of the GT seems to skip or move around slightly, quite an odd feeling.

James

I had a similar issue with the QP, which was partly fixed when I needed to have the front suspension bushes and drop links done anyway, plus 4 new tyres, so also had a complete re-alignment.

BUT there is still a surprising little shimmy at high speeds, especially when crossing raised white lines, cat's-eyes, etc.

Contrary to all advice, I had new Pirrelli P-zero Rosso tyres put on (as that what what the spec said, and what was available on the day). I'm going to put the winter tyres on this week, so we will see if that is different.

I was talking to fernandohasalongerusernamethananyoneelseontheforum about this at Castle Coombe on Saturday, and he said that it was some sort of bit of the rear suspension wobbling lethally, and I should jack it up and try to wobble the rear wheels, but I will have to ask him again which bit he thought might be broken....

Moz1000

Hi guys

Got the contis fitted today, does seem much better! They didn’t have the alignment information in the computer though.
Just wondering where people would recommend to take it who would have the info.

Regards

James

I don't know where you are based, but I use Christchurch Tyres in er, Christchurch Dorset. They have the Hunter equipment, and the setup stored for the GT and the Strad.
Reasonable cost too.
Moz

allandwf

I had a similar issue with the QP, which was partly fixed when I needed to have the front suspension bushes and drop links done anyway, plus 4 new tyres, so also had a complete re-alignment.

BUT there is still a surprising little shimmy at high speeds, especially when crossing raised white lines, cat's-eyes, etc.

Contrary to all advice, I had new Pirrelli PZeros fitted..
I really liked mine, great when dry and up to temperature. Entertaining in the wet, lethal in the cold and frost! Lol. Tyres are personal, and a compromise of various factors. What suits one may not suit the other.

jamesbilluk

Many thanks, I’m in the midlands, found a local company that has hunter alignment. Just in the waiting room now, all the sides are red off the scale!!