How to remover a shower screen glued to the wall?

Ebenezer

Collective
Mrs Eb has decreed that the shower screen is to be replaced. I have removed the glass bit, but what remains is the vertical rail which was screwed into the wall into which the glass slotted. I have taken out the screws that hold the rail against the tiled wall, but it remains stuck. In order to stop leakage behind, the original fitter has used sealant behind the rail. Any tips on how I might get the blighter off? I have bought a cheese cutter which I think will be useful, but cannot get behind it as the top is fairly flush against the tiles.

I wonder if the collective SM wisdom has some experience in this matter?

Eb

jasst

This can be a nightmare to do as silicone is really strong. I use an old carving knife, takes a bit of effort to get it started, but if sharp should not be to bad.

safrane

Your suggested method is the only way I would recommend and used myself. The silicone is v.strong and you risk removing a tile if you prise it off.

Good luck pal.

Navcorr

Can try using some of the wife's nail polish remover (acetone) to get it going.
It should soften the compound enough to get the knife into it without risking the tiles.

rockits

The thinest blade you can find....good call cheese cutter. Is that cheese cutter or cheese wire? Some thin wire like cheese wire should do it. Once you get a bit started it should allow more options & more purchase.

Any pics to help visualise would be good.

maverick

Dental floss start at the top and using a side to side sawing action slice down behind the alloy channel

Ebenezer

Thanks Gents! It's cheese wire, but a little thicker than I had anticipated - braided rather than a single filiment.
What I wanted was whatever the Autoglass guys use to cut the winscreen adhesive. Strong, but not metal.

Dental floss - That's a great idea Mav!

Eb

outrun

Fishing line is stronger than dental floss. Only a Porsche owner would use dental floss.

:)

Navcorr

White spirit is the solvent for silicone sealant.

I'd be willing to bet at least tuppence it is an acetoxy cured silicone rather than a neutral cure.
White spirit would work but I'd still suggest acetone to work better/faster.

philw696

I'd be willing to bet at least tuppence it is an acetoxy cured silicone rather than a neutral cure.
White spirit would work but I'd still suggest acetone to work better/faster.

And you can get high at the same time.:luvit:

jasst

Never had much success with solvents for silicone in this situation, as the silicone that you are trying to soften is sandwiched between aluminium and tile, fine if your trying to remove a fillet between bath and tiles for example, but your never to old to learn, after all I've only been doing it commercially for 20 years !

Navcorr

And you can get high at the same time.:luvit:
Used the stuff for years in the lab. and don't recall getting high - wait a minute ... :)
Not with the amount suggested - skin absorbtion can be a problem but you probably know that.

Never had much success with solvents for silicone in this situation, as the silicone that you are trying to soften is sandwiched between aluminium and tile, fine if your trying to remove a fillet between bath and tiles for example, but your never to old to learn, after all I've only been doing it commercially for 20 years !

Getting to the boundary layer was how I read the problem - getting a start whilst protecting the tiling was my thought. I like the idea of fishing wire though - is there space at the top to be able to get at the back of the rail?

conaero

Forum Owner
For sure it will be silicone. Get some fishing wire or thin braided cable or picture hanging wire and saw it top to bottom.

To get the old silicone off I use a scraper which is basically a Stanley knife blade in a holder.

midlifecrisis

For sure it will be silicone. Get some fishing wire or thin braided cable or picture hanging wire and saw it top to bottom.

To get the old silicone off I use a scraper which is basically a Stanley knife blade in a holder.

I've got the scraper if you want to borrow one Eb. I'm in work at the mo but can pick it up from my storage in Guildford tonight if required, then collect wherever between Woking and Gatwick...