A Cautionary Tale

MRichards

I have owned my 3200GT for seven years and have experienced intermittent problems with electronic locking of doors so I ceased using the fob & only twisted the key in the door lock. No further problems. During a bit of work to replace TB,fit new clutch and replace some coolant hoses a severe problem manifested itself,in that,the car would always go into limp mode when driven. It was quite happy revving it's head off stationary in the garage. I could cure the problem with a battery reset,but the limp mode reoccurred after a drive & a CEL light came on. I suspected reluctor ring trouble or ASR malfunction,however,the real problem was staring me in the face. Firstly,an after market security fob was attached to the ignition key which I had used for a while after buying the car. Secondly,and this was the real clue,my electrical man suggested I disconnect an after market immobiliser hidden under the driver's side carpet of which I was unaware. Problems solved immediately after removal of the cheap unbranded immobiliser (Chinese ?) This piece of **** must have gone feral & thought I was stealing the car !
I think the previous owner fitted this stupid immobiliser as he is in the business of supplying after market gizmos made in China. He also fitted a supplementary coolant pump which was leaking coolant all over the engine bay. I removed this immediately after buying the car. And he had tyre pressure & temperature monitors on the tyre valves giving readout to a device inside the car,also ditched promptly.
Also fitted Chinese made oxygen sensors which didn't last long. Replaced with Bosch L5 units,A$85 delivered free,each.
I think the car is now going as good as new,I hope it lasts.

philw696

Good stuff you certainly don't need rubbish accessories on your Maserati.
Italian electrical systems can be challenged enough from the factory.