Hive Heating!!

dem maser

The winter days and nights are here......just wanted to know if any of you have this as it seems good value at £250

I dont have a thermostat in my house so the idea of waking up to a warm house or coming home to a warm house really appeals.

Any thoughts??

CatmanV2

I wouldn't.

But only cos I have a far better Z-wave system that also does stuff like boil my kettle and control my lights and cameras. Also it keeps everything 'in house' which means I have greater control of the impact should the devices be compromised at all.

It's also marginally more expensive to set up but there are far more devices available. Motion, light, humidity, motion sensors. Window and door sensors, flood sensors, temperature sensors as well as thermostats, radiator valves, lights, appliances, blinds cameras sirens. I could go on :)

Of course, I'm a bit more techy than average......

C

GeoffCapes

Dem. Don't waste your money mate. I worked out the return investment for a Hive is just under 18 years!!!!!

A total rip off for what is supposed to be an energy saving device.

As for turning on your heating, this will actually mean you end up sending more.

It should come with a health warning. THIS PRODUCT WILL BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR WALLET.

D Walker

Very easy to fit a thermostat with Timer Dem,
Take you have a gas boiler fed radiator system, I fitted one in my van, think it was £90!

dem maser

Very easy to fit a thermostat with Timer Dem,
Take you have a gas boiler fed radiator system, I fitted one in my van, think it was £90!

The gas man said he wouldnt advise getting one as my boiler is so old and he doesnt want to go touching it......think Hive works differently

dem maser

Dem. Don't waste your money mate. I worked out the return investment for a Hive is just under 18 years!!!!!

A total rip off for what is supposed to be an energy saving device.

As for turning on your heating, this will actually mean you end up sending more.

It should come with a health warning. THIS PRODUCT WILL BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR WALLET.
Fair enough, thank you

dem maser

C, im not that techy (Dean will vouch for that) just wanted heating but good on you sounds like fun

D Walker

Hmmm,
In basic terms the thermostat is just a switch to turn your boiler on/off so you have a send unit, remote to your boiler, say in the lounge, usually battery operated, and a receive unit, hard wired into your incoming power supply to the boiler, doesn't need wifi, so the only part of the boiler to be touched would be the incoming power supply!!

dem maser

i dont know Dave, he came and told me to not bother as its been here since before we moved in so it must be 10 years or so old now and he didnt want to fix the current thermo thats broken as itll mean touching the boiler...anyway ill leave it and save up and get a new boiler for next winter me thinks

wink

You should certainly have a room thermostat on your system, otherwise the boiler runs at full tilt and wastes energy heating the water to a higher temp than necessary. Having to wake up in the cold is primitive! Sounds to me like your plumber doesn't want the job. Other plumbers are available. And if you get a Hive or Nest controller you can keep it for use with a new boiler at a later date. I have a Nest and it's great - easy to use, nice to look at, simple to turn heating on/off or adjust temperature from anywhere, using your phone, tablet or laptop. Nothing not to like.

redsonnylee

I had this installed after listening to the benefits, it never worked properly. Sometimes you couldn't switch the hot water on and after about a dozen gas engineer visits they refunded the £250. The engineer who removed it said they've had a lot of instances where they couldn't get it to work. So save your money and lots of hassle.

CatmanV2

Hmmm,
In basic terms the thermostat is just a switch to turn your boiler on/off so you have a send unit, remote to your boiler, say in the lounge, usually battery operated, and a receive unit, hard wired into your incoming power supply to the boiler, doesn't need wifi, so the only part of the boiler to be touched would be the incoming power supply!!

This. Fitted my new one in about 10 minutes.

I think you need a new gas man, Dem, let alone a new heating system.

C

Wack61

My gas boiler is the one the builders put in when they built the house in 1989 , we moved in 1996 I was going to replace it but, if it ain't broke , as part of the environmental the engineer that serviced it had to do an exhaust test , the reading was lower than a latest gen eco boiler , so low he asked me if it was ok if he posted it on his plumbers forum because nobody would believe him.

I really don't get all this hive and nest ****, ours has a clockwork timer, at weekends I have to move the sliders so it comes on later, oh the inconvenience, or I could spend a fortune so I can do it from my phone

I really wonder how people would cope with a 70s power cuts today , they'd all be in their cars charging iPads up hotspotting from their phones worried the kettle wasn't boiling when they got in from work.

Kevin Costner was right " if you build it they will come"

wink

Each to their own. Any programmer/stat is going to be a big improvement on the current situation for the OP, and will save heating costs. It's true, we've moved on since the 70's - today my car even has aircon & central locking, though heaven knows why you'd need them :)

D Walker

Agree with above and chuffed Chris agrees with a post of mine,
Dem, will literally take an hour at most to wire in the units and set it up,
Out of curiosity do you have Thermostatic valves on your radiators?
Otherwise you are literally chucking £'s away!
Dave

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
We had a new condensing combi boiler 3 years ago (original one only lasted just over 10 years from when the house was built), and I still can't figure out the controller/timer (not connected to the web)!
I straight on/off would be sufficient, but it has trends/outside temperature sensors etc and we never touch it summer or winter, it just works!
However this time of year the AGA is switched on and that pumps out so much heat the radiators hardly come on anyway!

CatmanV2

Agree with above and chuffed Chris agrees with a post of mine,
Dem, will literally take an hour at most to wire in the units and set it up,
Out of curiosity do you have Thermostatic valves on your radiators?
Otherwise you are literally chucking £'s away!
Dave

Surely it's not *that* rare, Dave?! ;)

Dem I could probably nip over and do it for you. Nice little Hosrtman. 7 day timer so you can set it to come on and off throughout the day depending on if you expect to be in our out, then later at the weekends, so you don't have to experience the horror of living ooop norf and having to move sliders on a Friday night like Wack does ;)
C

D Walker

Lol, was wondering when you would get round to offering,
I'm too far away otherwise I would have!!

Andyk

The winter days and nights are here......just wanted to know if any of you have this as it seems good value at £250

I dont have a thermostat in my house so the idea of waking up to a warm house or coming home to a warm house really appeals.

Any thoughts??

Thought you were talking about Resident Evil there Dem......Heating the hive would be costly with all those Zombies.